Thread: Hardy Heads ? good bait?

Hardy Heads ? good bait?

Are these hardy heads. Lots around at the moment and I am catching them easily on small jig hooks. They have rather tough scales to sink a hook through. Makes me think herring might be better bait?

DSC_0033.jpg

Re: Hardy Heads ? good bait?

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    Are these hardy heads. Lots around at the moment and I am catching them easily on small jig hooks. They have rather tough scales to sink a hook through. Makes me think herring might be better bait?

DSC_0033.jpg
    Found the herring to be better most times personally depending whats on the bight mindyou..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Found the herring to be better most times personally depending whats on the bight mindyou..
    Certainly bait does depend. Last night, got a nice 55cm grunter, but he took my light line with a banana prawn, instead of the big line with the herring. Still got him though ...

Mate weve been getting GOOD Grunter , Mostly Banana prawns have to admit but still ita miss n hit which they prefer ?? Prawns or or your local herring ..

Mate weve been getting GOOD Grunter , Mostly Banana prawns have to admit but still ita miss n hit which they prefer ?? Prawns or or your local herring ..
    Good ol' prawns are often the best.

Great live baits for snapper in the shallows...unweighted on a 1/0 circle hook on light line.
    Big bream are also greedy for them.
    Jack.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Great live baits for snapper in the shallows...unweighted on a 1/0 circle hook on light line.
    Big bream are also greedy for them.
    good to know thanks

There isn't a big bream or flathead around that would turn its nose up at a hardyhead..they love em.

Used ta get them around the traps here years back but havent seen a school of them fer yonks??.

Quote Originally Posted by Watto79 View Post
    There isn't a big bream or flathead around that would turn its nose up at a hardyhead..they love em.
    reckon our bream aren't big enough. They don't seem interested.

Used ta get them around the traps here years back but havent seen a school of them fer yonks??.
    Yes, used to see thousands of them moving down the beach in a big school. These have been hanging around the jetty for a few weeks.

Couple from the weekend with local Baits
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple from the weekend with local Baits
    Nice if they could be uploaded right side up fer fecks sake lol..
    can management please fix for a simple person like me