Thread: Backup plan

Backup plan

Hi Gang, l have been trying a lot of search variations and haven't found what I am looking for. What I am asking is, is it possible to use the electric's motor 24v lithium battery as an emergency start battery with a 24v to 12v converter? Much appreciate your input, thanks.

Re: Backup plan

You have a single 24v battery or 2 x 12 v in series?

no. wont get the amps you need out of a dc dc. unless you go super big. in wich case the size and cost would make it more benificial to just have a second start battery

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Just a single 24v Brettoh.

Thanks Moose, I thought it sounded too easy in theory. Can you use a jump pack safely on an outboard?

Ausfish Platinum Member

You can use any of those small jump packs as a backup. Lithium designed as deep cycle will be limted by the BMS, typically 100 amps continuous, although those who wish to use inverterrs on them will need 200 amps continuous. Thisis usually the limtiing factor--Lithium designed for cranking has a much heavier BMS.

Thanks ranmar850, I will definitely take a look at jump packs. Do you think a standard 4x4 type would be sufficient?

Ausfish Platinum Member

I would think so--what size of motor are you neededing it to start? A four litre six like a Ford petrol engine only draws around 250 amps, I can't imagine your average outboard neding more than that, as most outboards are under four litres until you get to 300hp or more.

We just take one of these as backup..

https://itechworld.com.au/collection...Ajq9jpTQhTsd6s

Used it a couple of times on a diesel 4wd with no dramas...

I really wouldnt want to risk pulling that many cca out of a 2-3 k lithium battery thats not designed for the purpose anyway...

Ausfish Platinum Member

Likely the BMS would not let you pull the amps out, anyway. The cells them selves are fine, it is the BMS that manages it. Most Deep Cycle applications rearely pull more then 100 amps, running an inverter, although the larger ones can pull 200 amps. Sometimes t , with some manufacturers, there are two versions of the same batteries available, one at 100 amps, one at 200 amps, and the cells are identical, you just have a heavier BMS.This is where cranking lithium should be specified. I see ITech do some now, seen here https://itechworld.com.au/collection...king-batteries