Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of GBR fishing adventures...?

Re: Beginning of the end of GBR fishing adventures...?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    and, on top of all that, net migration growth is currently at record levels to QLD.
    NOM is even higher into NSW - it doesn't appeared to have filter through to angling participation.

and, on top of all that, net migration growth is currently at record levels to QLD.

So you are basing the catch data and participation levels on some random data collected from haphazard , random and irregular ramp surveys...?

Thats laughable..

No one I know has ever even been approached or surveyed.

So please leave out anecdotal evidence about NSW and other states...This thread is about QLD and more specifically GBR waters..
    So you don't believe official data because you and your mates haven't been surveyed? Well that's rigorous isn't it (not).

In any case here is some Qld research. I know it's a while back from 2007, but it describes a sharp drop in angling participation. It cites reason which you obviously haven't thought of such as high costs of boating, time constraints, competing recreations:

Constraints on recreational fishing participation in Queensland, Australia - ResearchOnline@JCU

Also the 2019/20 rec fishing survey describes participation as 'similar to previous years":

Statewide recreational fishing surveys | Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Queensland (daf.qld.gov.au)

Quote Originally Posted by billfisher View Post
    So you don't believe official data because you and your mates haven't been surveyed? Well that's rigorous isn't it (not).

In any case here is some Qld research. I know it's a while back from 2007, but it describes a sharp drop in angling participation. It cites reason which you obviously haven't thought of such as high costs of boating, time constraints, competing recreations:

Constraints on recreational fishing participation in Queensland, Australia - ResearchOnline@JCU

Also the 2019/20 rec fishing survey describes participation as 'similar to previous years":

Statewide recreational fishing surveys | Department of Agriculture and Fisheries, Queensland (daf.qld.gov.au)

Some research from 15 yrs ago and a University phone survey that states the following is what you are calling "Official data"...

"Results
    Based on conversations with the 8,500 households contacted by SRC during the initial phone survey (screening survey), it was estimated that almost 943,000 Queenslanders went recreational fishing in Queensland during 2018–19 "

and extrapolating the data from 2100 unsubstantiated rec logbooks to arrive at the conclusion there is 943000 QLD rec fishers just demonstrates how wildly inaccurate this "official " research really is..

It reminds me of the Spanish Mackeral data being used...just totally made up BS...

Are you seriously trying to tell me there is no more people fishing the Great Barrier Reef now then 20 years ago...?

The first quote I described as research. "Official data' would be all the government rec fishing surveys. These are done on well established statistical methods. They are usually audited as well. But we are supposed to go on your gut feeling, extrapolating of population growth, etc. And this is when you haven't even thought of all the limiting factors on rec fishing participation.

Now if you had rec fishing licences you'd have a better idea of how many rec fishoes there were in Qld .

There would certainly be more fishing today than 20 years ago & probably well over the 943,000 indicated ....... As a matter of fact there are over 950,000 boat licences in Qld - you'd think that the majority would have dangled a line at some stage

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Now if you had rec fishing licences you'd have a better idea of how many rec fishoes there were in Qld .

There would certainly be more fishing today than 20 years ago & probably well over the 943,000 indicated .

Chris
    It's not 'certain' at all. Also NSW has a rec fishing licence and participation has not been shown to have changed much in 20 years. Actually there was a drop between 2000/01 and the last survey in 2013/14:

"This is the second state-wide survey of recreational
    fishing in NSW and the ACT. The first survey was
    conducted in 2000/01. Below are some comparative
    results from these surveys.
    Number of fishers: The 2013/14 survey found that
    around 850,000 people in NSW and the ACT go
    recreational fishing. This is a lower figure compared
    with the 2000/01 survey (around 1 million fishers).
    Similar levels of decrease have occurred in other states
    and territories – mainly due to demographic factors,
    e.g. the ‘ageing of the population’, where the lowest
    participation rates occur in the oldest age group.
    Fishing effort: An average of 4.3 days fished per
    fisher in 2013/14 compared with 5.6 days per fisher
    in 2000/01".

Even if that is the case, fisheries models extrapolate based off of growth in new boat registrations directly onto poor catch data for recreational sector. There may be more people fishing than 20 years ago but no real world evidence of more catching. With so many changes to recreational size and bag limits over the last 30 years, effort may have increased but catch rates may have in fact fallen. Fisheries data is just so poor when it comes to the red sector that no one really knows and fisheries modellers are happy to make assumptions and extrapolate old data to assume higher catches.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

It's not 'certain' at all. Also NSW has a rec fishing licence and participation has not been shown to have changed much in 20 years. Actually there was a drop between 2000/01 and the last survey in 2013/14:

"This is the second state-wide survey of recreational
    fishing in NSW and the ACT. The first survey was
    conducted in 2000/01. Below are some comparative
    results from these surveys.
    Number of fishers: The 2013/14 survey found that
    around 850,000 people in NSW and the ACT go
    recreational fishing. This is a lower figure compared
    with the 2000/01 survey (around 1 million fishers).
    Similar levels of decrease have occurred in other states
    and territories – mainly due to demographic factors,
    e.g. the ‘ageing of the population’, where the lowest
    participation rates occur in the oldest age group.
    Fishing effort: An average of 4.3 days fished per
    fisher in 2013/14 compared with 5.6 days per fisher
    in 2000/01".
    Just a little point to note here ........ The NSW Recreational fishing licence was introduced in 2001 Hence the immediate drop Today we are back up to 998,000 licence holders
    note that children under 18 do not need to be licenced ..... & so do not fall into these figures

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Just a little point to note here ........ The NSW Recreational fishing licence was introduced in 2001 Hence the immediate drop Today we are back up to 998,000 licence holders
    note that children under 18 do not need to be licenced ..... & so do not fall into these figures

Chris
    The report says the drop is due to demographic factors - not a change in reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Even if that is the case, fisheries models extrapolate based off of growth in new boat registrations directly onto poor catch data for recreational sector. There may be more people fishing than 20 years ago but no real world evidence of more catching. With so many changes to recreational size and bag limits over the last 30 years, effort may have increased but catch rates may have in fact fallen. Fisheries data is just so poor when it comes to the red sector that no one really knows and fisheries modellers are happy to make assumptions and extrapolate old data to assume higher catches.
    Bag and size limits reduce effort. I think you are mixing up terms by confusing effort with participation. After all you can go fishing (participate) and release everything.

Bag and size limits reduce effort. I think you are mixing up terms by confusing effort with participation. After all you can go fishing (participate) and release everything.
    effort v catch catch rates. If the same or more people are fishing more days. And those people are fishing with better equipment that’s an increase in effort. That seems to be prominent very heavily in models but no so much the take. Snapper perfect example. 30-10-5-(3+1) over the past 30 years. Yet fisheries assume a rec take that increases at the same rate of boat registrations. Those increases come from boat ramp surveys and a few log books that get extrapolated then the % increases added from there.

no mention of number of fishable days in a year. No mention of how many of those days are on weekends and public holidays when most can get out. When their models show that a stock is stable they simply label it hyper stable and use a different model to show what they need it to show. I suspect that nothing has really changed with the Mack biomass but a new model is just telling a different story.

if these green zones are supposed to be such a good fish management tool how are species like Spanish and Nanygai depleting so rapidly? Or is it more likely that Fisheries are moving to models and management systems that make the outlook appear bleaker than it really is just to justify their jobs and increased funding?

Its seems the team of Rangers is still at it..

https://www.facebook.com/QldEnvironm...71806929518601

Apparently still working hard to evaluate each and every video to determine if these brazen criminals will face further charges...and they specifically mention that its the video evidence they are basing the charges on....I am waiting to see how thats going to ping them for fishing in a green zone.....obviously any boat fishing wont be able to be determined so I'm guessing it must be some of their land/beach/island or cay based fishing that is the culprit...

I can only imagine that their must be some specific geographical features which can be proven to be only one particular cay or island in a green zone...otherwise what absolute proof would you have purely from a video...any ideas on this...?

I'm very curious to see how this pans out considering there is basically a whole string of islands and cays right along the reef in FNQ, most of which are not green zone...

Also curious to know how many taxpayer -funded man-hours are going into this investigation and how they prioritize perceived environmental damage and who they decide to pursue with such zeal.......seems an amazing drama all for 2 people camping..

I wonder if they put the same amount of energy into policing all the bogans actually properly trashing places like Inskip point, Fraser island and up the Cape etc..

Its seems the team of Rangers is still at it..

https://www.facebook.com/QldEnvironm...71806929518601

Apparently still working hard to evaluate each and every video to determine if these brazen criminals will face further charges...and they specifically mention that its the video evidence they are basing the charges on....I am waiting to see how thats going to ping them for fishing in a green zone.....obviously any boat fishing wont be able to be determined so I'm guessing it must be some of their land/beach/island or cay based fishing that is the culprit...

I can only imagine that their must be some specific geographical features which can be proven to be only one particular cay or island in a green zone...otherwise what absolute proof would you have purely from a video...any ideas on this...?

I'm very curious to see how this pans out considering there is basically a whole string of islands and cays right along the reef in FNQ, most of which are not green zone...

Also curious to know how many taxpayer -funded man-hours are going into this investigation and how they prioritize perceived environmental damage and who they decide to pursue with such zeal.......seems an amazing drama all for 2 people camping..

I wonder if they put the same amount of energy into policing all the bogans actually properly trashing places like Inskip point, Fraser island and up the Cape etc..
    A filmmaker who recorded himself fishing in Great Barrier Reef Marine Park green zones and camping unlawfully in national parks has been issued with 9 fines and remains under investigation for further breaches
    They wouldn't need to spend much time looking for any unlawful camping - every island camp would have been a breach ........
    Then where you are allowed to camp they were required to have their permit & paid their $6.95 / night (each) ..... there would be a record of this as sites are booked on line .

I wonder if the motivation is based on the fact that they are social media "influence rs" with a big following ....... viewers would watch their videos & copy - camp where ever you like & do what you like . This would certainly discourage others from doing the same .

If you take note .... pretty well all those you tubers who hit the GBR are camping illegally . I'm guessing the authorities are going to try to nip this in the bud .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I think If anything good comes from this should be a public campaign to have camping allowed on all these places in the GBR.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I think If anything good comes from this should be a public campaign to have camping allowed on all these places in the GBR.
    Totally agree mate....fancy being labelled a criminal for camping the night on a publicly owned remote island somewhere in the middle of the ocean ...its mind boggling to even think about...

I'm not certain but I cant actually see any specific island camping areas north of lizard island on the Qld parks website....https://parks.des.qld.gov.au/parks?type=campground...

Does that mean that anyone island hopping their way up reef to the tip has no option other then to camp illegally...?..if so thats just totally ridiculous...