Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of GBR fishing adventures...?

Re: Beginning of the end of GBR fishing adventures...?

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Attachment 125358

as far as green zones go I dont mind them...particularly from a research perspective to give an idea of what happens when fishing pressure is reduced in one area close to other allowed fishing areas...

we do snorkle and dive most trips out and find that green zones in our area appear more "fishy" and particularly with trout...
    My most humble apologies if I got it wrong. I'm not sure if things have changed but back in the 90's we had to traverse a pink zone almost daily to get from Jeannie River to Howick River, we did check with DPI in those days and were told we were permitted to cross it but with the proviso we didn't land anywhere, collect anything and had no hooks on our rods. I know we were flown over by spotter aircraft on a regular basis and we had camping permits for areas we were staying. I haven't been back that way since mid 90's now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    My most humble apologies if I got it wrong. I'm not sure if things have changed but back in the 90's we had to traverse a pink zone almost daily to get from Jeannie River to Howick River, we did check with DPI in those days and were told we were permitted to cross it but with the proviso we didn't land anywhere, collect anything and had no hooks on our rods. I know we were flown over by spotter aircraft on a regular basis and we had camping permits for areas we were staying. I haven't been back that way since mid 90's now.
    That might well have been all legal back in the day Sam..I didnt start reef fishing up here till the early 2000's

I guess it does highlight that we all should keep abreast and up to date of the rules and regs that are currently in place for boaties and fishers in the GBMPA waters....and there sure is a lot of them and some seem to be quite obscure....

I sometimes get a bit paranoid when I see the boats and uniforms coming to check out my compliance as they can be a bit course in their manner and its easy to have overlooked something simple..

I had one lot, one day run their RIB straight into the side of my old boat and rudely tell me and my old man that I was fishing too many rods in a yellow zone....they didnt even apologize when my sleepy son sat up from his position laying down beside the esky..

Scott

I seriously doubt they have fished in a restricted area and that will be tested in court...

and is camping the night on a remote sand cay where all you leave is footprints all that bad...?

Chris, I didnt think you would be so judgmental

Isnt this a photo from someones recent trip report of their campsite at Naris beach on Whitsunday island.....?

Can you spot anything illegal about it..?..

If so should we send it in so they be charged and fined by the youtube Department of Environment Nazi's..?

Attachment 125359

Sometimes I think we should look at the bigger picture and not sweat the small stuff....bigger fish to fry and all that.
    I think so lol

Lets face it, we are now close enough to be a communist state it is past funny. The great reset is near complete

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I seriously doubt they have fished in a restricted area and that will be tested in court...

and is camping the night on a remote sand cay where all you leave is footprints all that bad...?

Chris, I didnt think you would be so judgmental

Isnt this a photo from someones recent trip report of their campsite at Naris beach on Whitsunday island.....?

Can you spot anything illegal about it..?..

If so should we send it in so they be charged and fined by the youtube Department of Environment Nazi's..?

Attachment 125359

Sometimes I think we should look at the bigger picture and not sweat the small stuff....bigger fish to fry and all that.
    The generator is run on the boat - charging leccy batteries ...... I just don't have a long enough extension chord .
    it stays at camp when not in use . ... & I've been asked about it previously . ..... it's a bit like being in a green zone with your rods stowed on board

No fires though - all gas cooking .... & I paid my fees.

Not really being judgmental - just pointing out an observation from a previous video shot down on the Brook Islands .
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The generator is run on the boat - charging leccy batteries ...... I just don't have a long enough extension chord .
    it stays at camp when not in use . ... & I've been asked about it previously . ..... it's a bit like being in a green zone with your rods stowed on board

No fires though - all gas cooking .... & I paid my fees.

Not really being judgmental - just pointing out an observation from a previous video shot down on the Brook Islands .
    I believe it says no generator allowed. You're lucky. I'm sure the nazis wouldn't care that it's not running.

& I've been asked about it previously . ......
    By who..?...

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    I believe it says no generator allowed. You're lucky. I'm sure the nazis wouldn't care that it's not running.

It does say "Generators prohibited" .... & noted - When asked in 2018 , I told them exactly the situation ...... with a "no worries" reply

It also says no open fires ..... but they didn't bail me up for having matches & a cigarette lighter either .

Sorry this isn't a "gotchya" moment

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

When asked in 2018 , I told them exactly the situation ...... with a "no worries" reply

chris
    You still havent said who is "them"..?

By who..?...
    Qld parks & wildlife when they did their rounds ..... checked our tags & had a bit of a look around ...... had a bit of a chat & that was it

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

It does say "Generators prohibited" .... & noted - When asked in 2018 , I told them exactly the situation ...... with a "no worries" reply

It also says no open fires ..... but they didn't bail me up for having matches & a cigarette lighter either .

Sorry this isn't a "gotchya" moment

chris
    I'm not having a go at you mate, I'm the last person to dob anyone in. I am not a communist sympathizer. I'm pointing out the ridiculous surveillance and it's only going to get worse.

You still havent said who is "them"..?
    Oh shit ..... give me a chance to reply mate

Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    I'm not having a go at you mate, I'm the last person to dob anyone in. I am not a communist sympathizer. I'm pointing out the ridiculous surveillance and it's only going to get worse.

i'm glad I'm not a smoker & a photo was taken ...... as it's no smoking either

There is a big difference here - camping where you are not allowed to camp ( that's on video) having a fire where you are not allowed to have a fire (on video) ...... fishing in a restricted area ????? . Not paying your fees ???? Why have regulations ?

Aussies are great at taking a mile when given an inch . These guys are local - they know the rules (or should) ..... then they are making money off it .

If I plan to go to Lizard Island one day ..... I will note the rules & follow them ....... If I cant camp on an island or cay - I wont .

I knew of the regs for the Brook islands because I looked as I wanted to go there & 3 out of 4 islands were no go zones & the other had seasonal availability only ...... that's basic shit

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Web pages are of no legal relevance - they're helpful guides but you need to look at the underlying legislation if you really want to know what's permitted, because web pages typically aren't reviewed by a lawyer for clarity of language and tend to be ambiguous, misleading or even just flat out wrong. A court is only going to care about the relevant Acts and Regulations if you end up in a dispute.

A quick search* indicates that the Nature Conservation (Protected Areas Management) Regulation 2006 is the relevant document. The relevant regulation (r. 138) is below and prohibits unauthorised use of a generator or similar in a protected area**. Storage is absolutely fine.

Probably worthwhile fitting a storage cover though to make it abundantly clear to the casual observer that it's not in use.

QijDa99.png

* I don't live in Qld so haven't looked at it before. There could be a more responsive Act or Regulations that imposes additional demands.
    ** Chris's EU20i/EU22i is under the 65dB(A) limit. I wouldn't want to push the limits myself but there's a decent chance he could run it and be legal.

i'm glad I'm not a smoker & a photo was taken ...... as it's no smoking either

There is a big difference here - camping where you are not allowed to camp ( that's on video) having a fire where you are not allowed to have a fire (on video) ...... fishing in a restricted area ????? . Not paying your fees ???? Why have regulations ?

Aussies are great at taking a mile when given an inch . These guys are local - they know the rules (or should) ..... then they are making money off it .

If I plan to go to Lizard Island one day ..... I will note the rules & follow them ....... If I cant camp on an island or cay - I wont .

I knew of the regs for the Brook islands because I looked as I wanted to go there & 3 out of 4 islands were no go zones & the other had seasonal availability only ...... that's basic shit

Chris
    Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post
    Web pages are of no legal relevance - they're helpful guides but you need to look at the underlying legislation if you really want to know what's permitted, because web pages typically aren't reviewed by a lawyer for clarity of language and tend to be ambiguous, misleading or even just flat out wrong. A court is only going to care about the relevant Acts and Regulations if you end up in a dispute.

A quick search indicates that the Nature Conservation (Protected Areas Management) Regulation 2006 is the relevant document. The relevant regulation (r. 138) is below and prohibits unauthorised use of a generator or similar in a protected area. Storage is absolutely fine.

Probably worthwhile fitting a storage cover though to make it abundantly clear to the casual observer that it's not in use.

QijDa99.png

i cant remember when the photo was taken ..... but thinking about it - that was where it was probably cooling down after being taken off the boat . .... the boat was hauled in and out on its closed loop mooring .
    If we left camp the generator (& anything else valuable) was kept in the tent (out of the way / view ) with its cover on .

i was well aware that I was not in a situation where I could be prosecuted .

anyway .... enough about me - I'm not the one going to court

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO