Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Beginning of the end of GBR fishing adventures...?

Re: Beginning of the end of GBR fishing adventures...?

I can remember when one could camp, what up to 10 metres above high water mark, even on private land. I think keith Williams got that changed?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The crime here, must have been that they put it on Youtube.

There must be many boats and yachts sailing up and down the coast, that take the opportunity to land on a beach and have a look around.

Easy targets. Same as arresting pregnant women, and smashing grandmas. Welcome to communism.

So does everyone think that it should be open slather .... camp where you like & do what you like ?

It's not a case of being easy targets - it's a case of people documenting themselves breaking the law .... time & time again

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

This little article explains the situation a bit more...from my personal dealings with Department of Environment relating to a lease we hold in World heritage National Park the desk jockeys are a bunch of overeducated, narrow-minded, petty environazi city types that have no rational understanding or experience of the real world and cant be reasoned with.....they remind me a lot of Greta Thunberg..

https://www.des.qld.gov.au/our-depar...3mZTJZitsmjQks

I also came across a video where the guys visit an green zone atoll and decide to check out a low tide land locked lagoon..they take a handspear for protection in case there was any crocs....not sure if this resulted in the fine for spearfising in a green zone...a bit silly of them but they shot no fish in the video and even mention later on that they were moving on out of the green zone so they could catch a fish for lunch...

The video even shows them checking out an eagles nest...but thankfully they refrained from setting it on fire, nagg..

A bit of 2nd hand gossip I hear from QPWS suggests that

" they asked Back to Basics to take down the footage of Hunter Falls (near Captain Billy's landing campground up near the Tip of Cape York) given it is currently in the process of being formally restricted due to cultural issues. They (B2B) refused, which is fair enough because you can still legally hike there and they also technically didn't camp, even though they rested there for the night.So they (QPWS) got the shits with it and has made a big thing about it. But because it's going through the courts no one is allowed to name them, although it's common knowledge. "

I cant vouch for the validity of that statement but it wouldn't surprise me one little bit....The rest of it is just a total wank but I'm just really curious how they think they will prove the "fishing in a green zone charge"...

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    So does everyone think that it should be open slather .... camp where you like & do what you like ?

It's not a case of being easy targets - it's a case of people documenting themselves breaking the law .... time & time again

Chris
    I can't help it uou can't see the bigger picture mate. What's going down is exactly like hitler did. Bit by bit freedoms were taken. Do you think the nazis could have gotten away with what they did if the people woke up the next day and everything was implemented overnight. We all have to come to the realization that humans live on this planet and make an impact. If we can't live as god intended, with free will, then perhaps those that don't like it move to china or nth Korea

coral sea foundation.jpg

Just be mindful enough to realize there are a number of non-profit groups and foundations like the above one and the privately run Barrier Reef Foundation (the one that Malcom Turnbull gave $500 million to) that work hand in hand with GBRMPA, Department of Environment, AIMS and various Universities that would reduce or remove access to recreational boaties and fishers if they could...

Indeed, increasing marine protected areas is part of what they are all about in their charter and mindset...little by little our rights to fish and enjoy these public spaces will be eroded till its too late.....there has already been huge concessions given ..why are they continuing to push for more in particular under the guise of traditional ownership .

Can someone please explain to me if we have seen such wonderful coral regeneration in such a short amount of time as per the article above, then why do we need to add protections that make it criminal to visit such areas...?

Quote Originally Posted by docaster View Post
    I can't help it uou can't see the bigger picture mate. What's going down is exactly like hitler did. Bit by bit freedoms were taken. Do you think the nazis could have gotten away with what they did if the people woke up the next day and everything was implemented overnight. We all have to come to the realization that humans live on this planet and make an impact. If we can't live as god intended, with free will, then perhaps those that don't like it move to china or nth Korea

If you see the big picture you wouldn't be making this statement .

You see it as an erosion of your freedoms ...... & yes it is but for a reason .
    If you leave it open slather the GBR will just get FVC%£D over real quick ....... Allow people to camp on a beach , make their camp fire , bury their crap & leave their mess behind ... will quickly see pristine areas turn to shit . Add to this places that are turtle breeding places , rookeries for migratory birds etc - what are you going to end up with ? . Dont kid yourself that this wont happen ...... it does & will - because there are too many that do not give a shit . Heck I've picked up broken glass & other rubbish at places I've camped at over the years ...... not as some crusader either . Plenty of times finding old camp fires with tins & cans thrown in there - as if they burn .
    I still remember videos of Malcolm Douglas picking up rubbish in the Kimberley's ....... by people that had flown in by helicopter.

Yes I do see the bigger picture & know very well why these places are locked up ..... no different to why 4WDers get locked out of places ....... because they destroy the place.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

If you see the big picture you wouldn't be making this statement .

You see it as an erosion of your freedoms ...... & yes it is but for a reason .
    If you leave it open slather the GBR will just get FVC%£D over real quick ....... Allow people to camp on a beach , make their camp fire , bury their crap & leave their mess behind ... will quickly see pristine areas turn to shit . Add to this places that are turtle breeding places , rookeries for migratory birds etc - what are you going to end up with ? . Dont kid yourself that this wont happen ...... it does & will - because their are too many that do not give a shit . Heck I've picked up broken glass & other rubbish at places I've camped at over the years ...... not as some crusader either . Plenty of times finding old camp fires with tins & cans thrown in there - as if they burn .
    I still remember videos of Malcolm Douglas picking up rubbish in the Kimberley's ....... by people that had flown in by helicopter.

Yes I do see the bigger picture & know very well why these places are locked up ..... no different to why 4WDers get locked out of places ....... because they destroy the place.

Chris
    Fraser Island. It would be nice to say it has been loved to death but the reality is it's been ####ed by visitors. People like members of this forum who are apparently into outdoor life, fishing camping etc.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Fraser Island. It would be nice to say it has been loved to death but the reality is it's been ####ed by visitors. People like members of this forum who are apparently into outdoor life, fishing camping etc.

Matt
    & that is a place with ranger & police oversight ..... imagine what would happen in remote locations ?

As we see in these B2B videos ..... they ignore the rules & regulations - yet they are the good guys ...... what would others do ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Matt
    So why isnt the department of environment busting their asses to try and investigate and remedy these issues...you know, maybe look at developing some solutions to overcome the very real issue of great places being "loved to death" rather then instead of deploying so much time, money and manpower to scrutinizing 100 youtube video's of a couple of very low impact nomadic travellers that have a great respect for the environment.....thats what makes no sense, man...just the pettiness and prioritization of resources....the mentality is just wrong....

and besides all that whats Fraser island got to do with remote GBR island hopping where that couple may have been the one of only a handfull of people to have even been to those places and likely ever will..they are places for true adventure travellers that likely appreciate the remote natural beauty ..not just easily accessible bogan campgrounds full of weekend warriors......

Fraser island gets up to 400000 visitors per year so the comparison is ridiculous anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    So why isnt the department of environment busting their asses to try and investigate and remedy these issues...you know, maybe look at developing some solutions to overcome the very real issue of great places being "loved to death" rather then instead of deploying so much time, money and manpower to scrutinizing 100 youtube video's of a couple of very low impact nomadic travellers that have a great respect for the environment.....thats what makes no sense, man...just the pettiness and prioritization of resources....the mentality is just wrong....

and besides all that whats Fraser island got to do with remote GBR island hopping where that couple may have been the one of only a handfull of people to have even been to those places and likely ever will..they are places for true adventure travellers that likely appreciate the remote natural beauty ..not just easily accessible bogan campgrounds full of weekend warriors......

Fraser island gets up to 400000 visitors per year so the comparison is ridiculous anyway...
    Because they disregard the rules for accessible places as well ....... As mentioned before - Hinchinbrook & Goold Island - just a stones throw from Cardwell ......

I've camped on these Islands several times now - you most definitely cant have a camp fire ...... & there are defined camping areas - these also require a booking . Now you are also required to display your camping permit yet I have never seen one in any of their videos... have you ? . So it goes much deeper than the odd indiscretion & that is exactly how this should be treated IMO .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

Almost as ridiculous as getting your panties wadded up over the treatment of some random person you met at a boat ramp once who posts things you like on a social media platform. Or suggestions your interactions with a government bureaucracy are similar to reasoning with a celebrity you have possibly only seen in the media. (I'm happy to delete this bit if you have had a conversation/debate with Greta Thurnberg)

The cult of YouTube personality is strong in this thread.

Matt

Almost as ridiculous as getting your panties wadded up over the treatment of some random person you met at a boat ramp once who posts things you like on a social media platform. Or suggestions your interactions with a government bureaucracy are similar to reasoning with a celebrity you have possibly only seen in the media. (I'm happy to delete this bit if you have had a conversation/debate with Greta Thurnberg)

The cult of YouTube personality is strong in this thread.

Matt
    Matt, The premise of my argument is based on government overreach, heavy-handedness, ,misplaced priorities, management of the GBR and wastage of taxpayer funds while very real and significant issues are overlooked.....

The people and events that precipitated this thread are inconsequential in the big scheme of things reef-wise, but do clearly demonstrate to me that we are in real danger of losing our basic rights to access to public property by heavily left -wing influenced groups and government departments often emboldened by environmental activist celebrity figureheads like Greta...

Now you are also required to display your camping permit yet I have never seen one in any of their videos... have you ? . So it goes much deeper than the odd indiscretion & that is exactly how this should be treated IMO .

Chris
    Wowsers Chris..!!..not displaying a permit...Where will the criminality end..?

BTW, this is one of my favourite easy island overnight getaways....just 15 minutes from the South Mission Boat ramp...

Used to occasionally leave the kids at home and just a just zip out for a date night with the missus out there...

Only one booking at a time ..so in effect you have your own little private island....its very basic with no facilities or toilets..

Watch the sunset over the mainland with a few prawns, a couple of beers ...a little paradise....oops...think I forgot to display the permit though..

island camping.jpg