Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK - lets talk about Stanage

OK - lets talk about Stanage

Alright here is your chance

For years & years I've heard about this Stanage Bay place this nearly mythical destination that should be fished .

I've heard the stories - great catches & the not so great catches .... the mud crabs ........ & that bloody road in .

I want to hear from everyone who has been there - tell us the good & not so good ...... where to stay or not to stay - what do I need to know ....... time of year to go?.

how do you prepare your car , trailer & boat ?

Or is the place simply over rated & too weather dependent ?

I need to be thinking of where I need to go in 2023 for a bit of an adventure ........ could Stanage be the place ?

Over to you

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: OK - lets talk about Stanage

It’s not a place to be on anchor on a run in tide or run out on big tides it might sink you, good launch point to the Percy island closer to the inner reefs of the swains and I’ve been told about 120kms of rough road to get there and tie you crab pots to the mangroves or you will never see them again and no waiting at the boat ramp to launch .

For me Stanage is a hit or miss affair.....Could just be luck though.
    Had 6 trips there, 3 were good fishing, 1 was mediocre and two I could not buy a bite.
    I will keep going back there looking for a decent black jew though....the other species I can do better at other places.
    Crabs are generally fairly decent
    I used to camp there near the ramp...future trips will be renting a house or cabin.

I've never really had a problem with the road apart from bearing buddies coming off....I bolt them on now so the problem is solved.
    120km of road that's usually pretty ordinary is not much to deal with.

Allow a good 6 weeks after a big fresh in the area, Broad Sound feeds it.

If you head west from the ramp take it easy and ask for a mud map from the tackle store....there are some very shallow rock bars, mostly exposed at low tide.
    Jack.

Chris , never been there myself although many a time ive been wanting to but have several mates that do their weekly stay there every year .
    They rent a house , take ample bait along and also requires local knowledge of the area as there are many a place where one can come to grief if they dont do as such.
    Fishing what what ive heard is Good to great depending on tides , moon , and how soon after a wet you go there ..

Haven’t heard from strange for a couple of weeks. It’s quiet

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I’ve done a few trips there, mostly fishing for Barra and fingermark. One trip was great, one on the quiet side, and one was nearly totally fishless. That can happen anywhere though. One thing that is apparent there is a huge amount of commercial fishing effort. Maybe this has been exacerbated by the large net free zone being implemented just to the south in the Fitzroy Delta and Keppel Bay.

The place has a rep for good crabbing. I don’t chase crabs but others with me on those trips did and they found it very hard going. Like most places now, there were a LOT of crab pots (and gill nets) there on my trips.

A friend fished there a few months ago, offshore, and did really well.

If you are going there for the estuary fishing, but sure to be there around the quarter moons. Aug-October period has relatively user friendly weather. I like Feb-March for bigger fingers in the estuaries and headlands/islands. The bigger tides are much harder to fish and smaller bite window, and the passage near Stanage is named Thirsty Sound for good reason. You definitely do not want to be there with wind against a decent run out tide. If you’re planning a trip then get in touch and I can give you some areas/marks that have produced for me in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_McC View Post
    I’ve done a few trips there, mostly fishing for Barra and fingermark. One trip was great, one on the quiet side, and one was nearly totally fishless. That can happen anywhere though. One thing that is apparent there is a huge amount of commercial fishing effort. Maybe this has been exacerbated by the large net free zone being implemented just to the south in the Fitzroy Delta and Keppel Bay.

The place has a rep for good crabbing. I don’t chase crabs but others with me on those trips did and they found it very hard going. Like most places now, there were a LOT of crab pots (and gill nets) there on my trips.

A friend fished there a few months ago, offshore, and did really well.

If you are going there for the estuary fishing, but sure to be there around the quarter moons. Aug-October period has relatively user friendly weather. I like Feb-March for bigger fingers in the estuaries and headlands/islands. The bigger tides are much harder to fish and smaller bite window, and the passage near Stanage is named Thirsty Sound for good reason. You definitely do not want to be there with wind against a decent run out tide. If you’re planning a trip then get in touch and I can give you some areas/marks that have produced for me in the past.
    Thanks Kev

That's some great info there - really appreciated & if I decide to plan a trip I'll yell out .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

What is the busy period at Stanage - most visitors (boaters)

I certainly want to be thinking a year out - to ensure accommodation ( rental or camp) ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Almost worth the trip for the sneery at stanage bayRe: OK - lets talk about Stanage

Nice Boat Choice

I have fished stanage heaps of time. Can be a hit and miss place. The fishing can be insanely good at times, specially if your venture to the outer islands.

Most people go there and fish in close and catch SFA. very tidal dependent place, eg one spot fishes awesome in outgoing tide then crap on incoming etc.

Due to the huge tides, undulating country it can a very rough place to fish. I would only make the effort to go in when the weather is really good. Also running down into shoalwater to mud crab isnt worth the hassle IMO. Long way down, very hard to manage due to tides. You end up waisting half your day setting and checking pots. Better off going fishing.

decent offshore boat is needed to get out to the outer islands/shoalwater bay area and catch good fish. But decent boat is needed mostly due to the rough conditions. The tide chop in that place is epic.

If you have 5 days of glassy weather then its a fantastic place. But do not waist your time if its marginal weather.

Dirt road in isnt that difficult to manage, 3-4h going slow and your fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    I have fished stanage heaps of time. Can be a hit and miss place. The fishing can be insanely good at times, specially if your venture to the outer islands.

Most people go there and fish in close and catch SFA. very tidal dependent place, eg one spot fishes awesome in outgoing tide then crap on incoming etc.

Due to the huge tides, undulating country it can a very rough place to fish. I would only make the effort to go in when the weather is really good. Also running down into shoalwater to mud crab isnt worth the hassle IMO. Long way down, very hard to manage due to tides. You end up waisting half your day setting and checking pots. Better off going fishing.

decent offshore boat is needed to get out to the outer islands/shoalwater bay area and catch good fish. But decent boat is needed mostly due to the rough conditions. The tide chop in that place is epic.

If you have 5 days of glassy weather then its a fantastic place. But do not waist your time if its marginal weather.

Dirt road in isnt that difficult to manage, 3-4h going slow and your fine.
    i keep hearing this ..........

Is it a case that ..... Stanage is a place that SE Queenslanders see as their out of the way mecca & one step above a trip to 1770 ?. I'm starting to feel it .

Tow a boat 6 hours further north & you can score similar results at the Whitsundays ...... a bit further Lucinda / Cardwell etc

Is it a fact that the place feels remote .... more than anything to do with the actual fishing ?

The more I research ..... the more I realize that the place is more a fishing pilgrimage than an actual fishing mecca

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

What size boat you have Nagg?
    Stanage is different type of fishing than 1770 and whitsundays. from a pure fishing perspective stanage is alot better than 1770 and miles ahead of the whitsunday islands. (different than barrier reef off airlie which is awesome )

Most people go to stanage and head west through the passage. To really make the most you need to head out around mumfords/ townsend islands, far side of shoal water bay and out to high peak islands way. The passageways around townsend islands can be amazing fishing and probably cop the least amount of fishing pressure on east coast except cape york.
    That area is fairly untouched. to far for average tinny and treacherous waters keep all the yachties away. Its also a bit far from yeppoon so not many boats run that far up to fish it.
    Ive had some of the hottest sessions on Reds/nanny in 15m of water around townsend and surrounding passages. But the same place can be dead on change of tide. Often catch coral trout and fingermark off the exact same lumps.. Stanage is a cross over of islands/eastury/inlet/bluewater fishing all rolled into one.

Stanage isnt a family friendly fishing place IMO, a place you go with a mate and not the kids. managing tides can be painful and dangerous at times, Tidal chop at certain parts of stanage is unreal. cant really swim or snorkle much unless your at the islands, even then its not barrier reef and just soft coral.

I personally wouldnt even think of stanage unless its a 3-4 day pure glass out. if its a little bit rough its a crap place to be

Whitsundays is a much nice family/boating trip.

Good alternative is mission beach. Lots of islands in close to explore. Reef not far out if its glassy.

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    What size boat you have Nagg?
    Stanage is different type of fishing than 1770 and whitsundays. from a pure fishing perspective stanage is alot better than 1770 and miles ahead of the whitsunday islands. (different than barrier reef off airlie which is awesome )

Most people go to stanage and head west through the passage. To really make the most you need to head out around mumfords/ townsend islands, far side of shoal water bay and out to high peak islands way. The passageways around townsend islands can be amazing fishing and probably cop the least amount of fishing pressure on east coast except cape york.
    That area is fairly untouched. to far for average tinny and treacherous waters keep all the yachties away. Its also a bit far from yeppoon so not many boats run that far up to fish it.
    Ive had some of the hottest sessions on Reds/nanny in 15m of water around townsend and surrounding passages. But the same place can be dead on change of tide. Often catch coral trout and fingermark off the exact same lumps.. Stanage is a cross over of islands/eastury/inlet/bluewater fishing all rolled into one.

Stanage isnt a family friendly fishing place IMO, a place you go with a mate and not the kids. managing tides can be painful and dangerous at times, Tidal chop at certain parts of stanage is unreal. cant really swim or snorkle much unless your at the islands, even then its not barrier reef and just soft coral.

I personally wouldnt even think of stanage unless its a 3-4 day pure glass out. if its a little bit rough its a crap place to be

Whitsundays is a much nice family/boating trip.

Good alternative is mission beach. Lots of islands in close to explore. Reef not far out if its glassy.
    Thanks for that 6.15m CC

Without having been there - if you had good conditions at Stanage - how much better would it be than if you have the same conditions at Airlie or Lucinda ? These places have amazing fishing if you can get out ...... big reds , big trout ....... etc & in that 40-50km range . When you see Pelagic pursuits videos on Youtube & the quality & qty of decent reds , trout etc caught ...... you wouldn't turn your nose up at them.

I actually looked into doing a trip up from Yeppoon up to island head creek (90km each way) ...... doable but stretching it - particularly if the weather went nasty. ...... If I upgrade to a bigger motor - I may do it one day. I have no doubt whatsoever that that area around Townsend , island head creek would be amazing.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

In a pure glass out all those places probably fish just as good as one another to be honest.

Stanage is more headlands/island/creek/bluewater fishing rolled into one. If you like a bit of do it all stanage is great. however its only worth doing if you really really want to. issue is if you drive in there and the weather is shit you're kind of stuck.
    where if you are on the coast at say airlie, you can easily drive up to lucinda if the weather is better there.

Me personaly id rather go to the barrier reef in a glass out based out of airlie/lucinda/mission beach or port douglas or anywhere else in between . and its much much easier and has barrier reef access.
    check out Beau Gower fishing on you tube, he showcases stanage bay fairly well in his videos

Pelagic pursuit is going out a fair way from airlie. He's likey fishing the outer edge reefs alot of his trips for the flats fishing to be that red hot. not undoable but its a long run if your boat cant cruise at 30+ knots.
    Come further north around mission beach and you only need to run 50-60km out to have amazing reef fishing.