Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: so...whats the neatest best thing you have on your boat?

Re: so...whats the neatest best thing you have on your boat?

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    You've been on THT, haven't you...
    Yes guilty

Ausfish Platinum Member

On the boat itself--120w flexible solar panel on hardtop has been great. When away camping with the boat left in the water, I can have days and days off due to weather , and leave the LED masthead light and fridge running, and the House battery is only a smallish start-type lead acid.

Opening up the underfloor storage has also been great, talked about that in the Fish Bags thread recently.

Love the fully-networked Raymarine system. And the jewel in the crown of that has to be the Autopilot.

Couldn't live without the anchor winch. Boat would make any form of spotlocker difficult and expensive to have working effectively, so that's off the table.

The last thing( is there such a thing?) to do is some drawers built into the bulkhead in front of the passenger position. They will intrude into the sleeping space, but I'll leave plenty of room to get my feet under them. When normal fishing, I'll have pre-made deep drop rogs and game leaders in ziplok bags , and other tackle--when camping, they will contain the plates, cutlery, etc., saving getting storage bin in and out of the sleeping area twice a day. Really working at getting stuff off the deck, including the old tackle box which carries a bit of everything.

200 Pro XS Merc would have this boat touching 44 knots, but the only time you could use the increased cruise speed would be the glass-offs you can get in Exmouth Gulf and Shark Bay--but on those rare occasions, 4500rpm sees 26-27 knots. Normal sea conditions around here really restrict you to low twenties for comfort, and she does that at 4000rpm, so do I really need it? Given current delivery times, and considering I have 800 hours on the 150 now, it might be available by the time I have 3000 hours up?

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    To a certain extent except for the free spending .. Does an excellent job with pulling the anchor up though my next big spendup will be an anchor wench i mean winch..
    As for the best thing ive added towards the boat would be the Boat winch although its attatched to the Trailer and not the boat but Boy does it make life easy getting the Boat on the Trailer..
    Could drive it on n off but on my own means i have ta get on and off the Boat to do so and at my age i cant affort ta go ace over in the process..
    Otherwise too numerouse toys to add to the above ..Oh fergot the solar panel for the batterries ..
    Good to hear that Volvo
    Ute goes to the Auto Electrician on Tuesday for power feed for the new electric winch.
    Comes with wireless hand control.
    Getting too old and cranky to be bothered with manually winching the heavy bitch onto the trailer.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn 66 View Post
    Good to hear that Volvo
    Ute goes to the Auto Electrician on Tuesday for power feed for the new electric winch.
    Comes with wireless hand control.
    Getting too old and cranky to be bothered with manually winching the heavy bitch onto the trailer.
    Shawn
    Yeah mate same as mine wireless remote controls about the size of your normal garage controls . Clip it onto your TShirt and guide the front of the Boat onto Trailer and press ye in button and up she comes no effort whatsover..
    Purchased the 3.9 HP winch off Fleabay seller Trailersparesonline . 5000lb winch fer just under $200 .
    Comes loaded with Dyneema Rope.
    previouse winch i had on the Quinny Fishraider was a 1.4HP and it did the job allright for three years and was still going strong when i sold the Boat so have no complaints, just hope this one lasts as long ..
    After the shade i will def outlay for an anchor winch give the Missus a break for sure..
    Like you we both are getting a tad on the older side of the fence to be breaking backs ey..

Speaking of winches, I love my cordless drill
    Although a remote would be nice, It works for me though

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Yeah mate same as mine wireless remote controls about the size of your normal garage controls . Clip it onto your TShirt and guide the front of the Boat onto Trailer and press ye in button and up she comes no effort whatsover..
    Purchased the 3.9 HP winch off Fleabay seller Trailersparesonline . 5000lb winch fer just under $200 .
    Comes loaded with Dyneema Rope.
    previouse winch i had on the Quinny Fishraider was a 1.4HP and it did the job allright for three years and was still going strong when i sold the Boat so have no complaints, just hope this one lasts as long ..
    After the shade i will def outlay for an anchor winch give the Missus a break for sure..
    Like you we both are getting a tad on the older side of the fence to be breaking backs ey..
    You guys are lucky, my wife no longer comes out, even in the Passage, she used come offshore but that's in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Sam, my wife gets sea sick in a bath tub, or watching wicked Tuna on TV, so she has never been out with me in the boat....
    Some of my mates want to wife swap LOL or they just worship my sad predicament ...
    Gunna try and get her out on the Shoalhaven river, but she's pretty stubborn...

Col
    Col, maybe you need one of those BBQ boats, I've thought of trading the tinnie for one myself, it'll get me everywhere the tinnie can go although the times I've had to get out and push over sand and mud banks I'd probably pull up stumps a bit earlier. Mate of mine has a small one, it's often used as the camera boat for his shows and they are a versatile beast especially now that he's put a leccy on it.

I forgot to mention "Barcatch" makes life so much easier for launching & retrieving ..... specially solo

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Can't fish the shelf with one of them Sam ..
    I recon I'll get her on the shoalhaven river, a mate sent me some pic's today of him taking two young un's out for a fish, absolutely perfect and no excuses from her then, surely...

Mind you, for us, me fishing is like my alone time, I luv solo fishing, but I for sure will get her on the river. In Melbourne, it was just to far to lakes etc, The river is only a km down the road from us in the new place, in fact I'm looking forward to doing a 2-3 km track thru bush, to get to some pretty isolated spots on the river for some land base action as well...

Col
    I've see pontoon boats offshore, the shelf is a bit far for them up here, probably closer to where you are. It's one of the problems I'm faced with when it comes to compromising. I still want to trade my tinnie and my Allison 195 for something in between that will allow me to do both inshore and offshore fishing. Still looking and think I've found one but also now the boss has suggested why don't I just buy a much bigger boat and a berth, I think she is looking to kicking me out of the house.

But back to the original post - I can't live without a deckwash anymore. Installed about 5 years ago and wondered how I did without, much more pleasant when I get home and especially for those overnight trips it makes everything more pleasant.

Not on the boat but I bought myself a bearing seating tool today
    I don’t want to overstate how awesome they are but let’s just say they are awesome
    no more putting a sharp edge on a brass drift

did my box trailer bearings in 1/3 the time

Hey Steve, can you post up details of it, I’m heading that way myself
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    Not on the boat but I bought myself a bearing seating tool today
    I don’t want to overstate how awesome they are but let’s just say they are awesome
    no more putting a sharp edge on a brass drift

did my box trailer bearings in 1/3 the time
    I wouldn't mind the details of tool as well mate
    Does it work for removing them as well?

Quote Originally Posted by purnong View Post
    I wouldn't mind the details of tool as well mate
    Does it work for removing them as well?
    how about you just use the old outer race bearing, run a grinder through one side reducing approx 1-2mm of material from the cut and believe it or not you have the perfect bearing seating tool....