Thread: solder

solder

hi all
    what is a good solder fluid for soldering wires i have been using bakers solder fluid but its so hard to get
    cheers snap

Re: solder

I'm no sure bakers fluid is the best flux for electrical connections as it is somewhat corrosive iirc. There's a flux paste that can be purchased on sites like eBay that works well when trying to solder old or thick wires but otherwise flux cored solder from somewhere like Jaycar is probably all that's really needed for most jobs,.

Sent from my SM-T575 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by toecutter View Post
    I'm no sure bakers fluid is the best flux for electrical connections as it is somewhat corrosive iirc. There's a flux paste that can be purchased on sites like eBay that works well when trying to solder old or thick wires but otherwise flux cored solder from somewhere like Jaycar is probably all that's really needed for most jobs,.

Sent from my SM-T575 using Tapatalk
    Nice clean wires are something we all dream of, definitely if starting from new but 6 or 12 months down the track even tinned wire needs a bit of help. Jaycar carry a couple of different fluxes, take your pick. My old man used to make his own, nitric acid and something else I don't recall, worked really well but now long forgotten.
    Do clean up well after using a flux though.

Edit: I had to use some on the tinned trailer wire today as I changed the way I was bring 3 sets of wiring harness together, solder with resin core just didn't work, needed a light sand and flux paste.

I use Phosphoric acid if the copper wires are oxidised or have verdigris. Just wet the section of wire to be soldered, then use normal resin core solder.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Hmmm, if the wire is too oxidised to get a clean flowed solder joint, it really is on the way out. Yes, I've done it myself , but only as a last resort. Any oxidisation on the surface of wire which has been inside sheathing means that moisture has made its way up , and how far has it got? Precursor to the Green Death? And I certainly wouldn't use Bakers Fluid for wire connections, that's for old school soldering of roof gutters.