Thread: Island Camping

Island Camping

So – Whitsundays 2021/2 is done & dusted - regretfully & not .
    Harping over the trip during the 18hr stint driving yesterday , I’ve come to realise that extended camping trips on an island is a mugs game & it’s time to rethink my future plans .
    Don’t get me wrong , there is something very special about camping out but man it takes it’s toll . Yeh 2 or 3 days with a swag … fine , but when you need to carry so much gear for a 10 dayer – I still found too much reliance on going to a place like Hamilton Island for things like fuel , water & ice . I’m thinking ‘d be better off going further North to a place like Etty Bay - grab a powered site & be done with all the nonsense like running generators half the night to charge batteries . Life would be so much simpler.
    Then there is looking after the boat during spring tides - there is only so much you can do when you have fringing reef – specially in the middle of the night when the winds change……. & transducers don’t come cheap .
    One of the reasons to camp on an island is to be nearer to the fishing grounds – boat in the water ready to go …. But it’s not so straight forward & you still could be 90 mins to the reef .
    I’m no fan of a camp ground …… specially when compared to the solitude of your own little piece of the world like we just experienced

Solitude.jpg

– but

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Island Camping

I can only say is you’ve got to do the miles to get the smiles , and having tried to do that in the Whitsundays is achievable with some local knowledge but mostly you are weather dependent and having to camp on islands and take everything is going to be a major hassle . Having toured Queensland a number of times and taken my boat all over I have found a land base as in a caravan park that has units or dodgers is a great way to go but again weather has caught me out a number of times and have only got to head out a few times . For me after seeing 3 seasons in FNQ now I would be planning a trip further north where you don’t have to run so far to get the prize fish , but again you have to be mindful of the weather . Cooktown from my understanding is one of the least hit fisheries around as most of the year it’s not touched other than the pros and it’s only 15 km to some outstanding fishing and even less with some local knowledge. I know it’s a long haul for the likes of yourself with limited time and to drive that far to end up with crap weather would be a major downer , the end of winter going into October November is what all the locals are waiting for up that way and as I’ve shown the fishing is outstanding. I’m sure Disorderly would help you out up his way near Tully but really all the places around the major cities are really hammered and local expertise is your friend . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

I'm a firm believer that if you want the reef fishing go for a charter....mothership and dory's.
    There are hundreds to choose from....everything is on hand and once you've done your 5 days or so there you can collect your boat and head off inshore fishing for the remainder of your break... or vice versa.
    These days I rent a cabin or a house when I go and there are plenty of remote ones around to rent.
    Jack.

double post
    Jack.

That’s a lovely spot to spend some time by the looks of it. The boat and trailer travel ok? I presume you caught some decent fish.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    I can only say is you’ve got to do the miles to get the smiles , and having tried to do that in the Whitsundays is achievable with some local knowledge but mostly you are weather dependent and having to camp on islands and take everything is going to be a major hassle . Having toured Queensland a number of times and taken my boat all over I have found a land base as in a caravan park that has units or dodgers is a great way to go but again weather has caught me out a number of times and have only got to head out a few times . For me after seeing 3 seasons in FNQ now I would be planning a trip further north where you don’t have to run so far to get the prize fish , but again you have to be mindful of the weather . Cooktown from my understanding is one of the least hit fisheries around as most of the year it’s not touched other than the pros and it’s only 15 km to some outstanding fishing and even less with some local knowledge. I know it’s a long haul for the likes of yourself with limited time and to drive that far to end up with crap weather would be a major downer , the end of winter going into October November is what all the locals are waiting for up that way and as I’ve shown the fishing is outstanding. I’m sure Disorderly would help you out up his way near Tully but really all the places around the major cities are really hammered and local expertise is your friend . Matt
    There are some good options a little further north - yes weather plays a massive part ....... but as long as you have options that's all good . Even the Whitsundays is a case of once you are out there - you have options do do stuff.
    Lucinda is a example - if conditions are good .... the reef is 1 1/4 away. If it blows you fish the river , the channel or like we did a couple years back , the Palm Islands .
    I mentioned Etty Bay (lovely camp ground) Mourilyan Hbr is good launching & the reef is 24km away. There are some close islands to the south & the Hbr can fish quite well (plus the river) .... or you can tow the boat north & fish the Russell Mulgrave. For me it's a 30 hr tow Vs 24 hr for Whitsundays (not a huge difference)

I have holidays booked for August & I'll probably change the destination to Etty Bay ( need to inquire on sites)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    That’s a lovely spot to spend some time by the looks of it. The boat and trailer travel ok? I presume you caught some decent fish.
    I just put up a report - yeh it's a nice spot ...... we did find better but it is more difficult to access towards to bottom of the tide

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Horses for courses i recon Nagg. I know i peg my offshore fishing focussed holidays pegged to, refig, Fuel (so it doesn't limit the fun) and Hot water on tap, maybe one or two nights on the reef in the boat then back to the house or caravan park.. For me the boat based camping on the island or beach thing is more a familly experience, quick hits, 2 or 3 nights (at most) on weather window, keep it super simple and light weight,, fish the peak times, more orientated to sportfishing than filling the esky. Take my hat off to those that do the full scale remote camp setup thing though.

Interesting cooktown came up, me and few mates working on a 3 week stay over a november/dec with the hope of getting half the time on the water. Just so bloody windy up there we're still a bit iffy on the idea.
    So many places to go and fish, spoilt for choice we are.
    Scott

Without a doubt there is something special about remote camping & I know that for me that itch (not the sandflies) doesn't go away but it's something that needs to be tempered with age. s
    Unfortunately for me - I live in Sydney & it's a hell of a long way to drive to NQ ..... worst of all - I basically have to take the Chrissy period off & the last thing I want to do is sit at home - That's the benefit of the Whitsunday's ..... with reasonable notice you can book a site .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Out-Station View Post
    Horses for courses i recon Nagg. I know i peg my offshore fishing focussed holidays pegged to, refig, Fuel (so it doesn't limit the fun) and Hot water on tap, maybe one or two nights on the reef in the boat then back to the house or caravan park.. For me the boat based camping on the island or beach thing is more a familly experience, quick hits, 2 or 3 nights (at most) on weather window, keep it super simple and light weight,, fish the peak times, more orientated to sportfishing than filling the esky. Take my hat off to those that do the full scale remote camp setup thing though.

Interesting cooktown came up, me and few mates working on a 3 week stay over a november/dec with the hope of getting half the time on the water. Just so bloody windy up there we're still a bit iffy on the idea.
    So many places to go and fish, spoilt for choice we are.
    Scott
    After spending 3 years staying for months at a time I found the November December period the most stable , the wind up that way is horrendous and that’s putting it lightly , the local tackle world store has the best charter options or if there is a few of you Beeracuda do multiple day charters if you can get on . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    After spending 3 years staying for months at a time I found the November December period the most stable , the wind up that way is horrendous and that’s putting it lightly , the local tackle world store has the best charter options or if there is a few of you Beeracuda do multiple day charters if you can get on . Matt
    Thanks Matt

I've got time locked in for mid August (Christmas would be a whole different ball game)

It looks like the winds are ok in the morning (Innisfail) - then pick up in the afternoon with 20-25ks

With relatively short runs to the reef (30kms) Going out of Mourilyan Hbr could be ok ...... if not we chuck lures for barra & jacks in the Moresby river or head north & fish Russell / Mulgrave rivers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO