Thread: Voltage regulation to distribution panel

Voltage regulation to distribution panel

Just stripped out all the old electrics and found the main feed to the distribution panel splits into:

• 3x parallel diodes
    • 3x parallel 1 ohm 10W resistors
    • Powertech 12V 80W DC-DC regulator
    • ferrite choke
    • distribution board

I assume it was all installed in the name of cleaning up power but it's a bit manky and needs to be binned. Do I need to worry about power filtering when reinstalling?

It's hooked up to a Suzuki DT85 with a 15A rectifier / regulator and an Optima D34M blue top crank battery. The new fuse board will be feeding VDO gauges, VHF, chart plotter, anchor winch, Zipwake tabs and lights.

Edit: I remember now - the original was an unregulated 6.6A rectifier and I updated it with the optional 15A rectifier regulator. The separate regulator would have been to control voltage spikes if the battery was full.

Re: Voltage regulation to distribution panel

Regulators for low output engines have improved over the years. I have one on my small motor that is quite happy to run with or without a battery connected at up to 8 amps. It's originally made for bikes. Whether you need the extra stuff with your current reg is simply going to depend on how good a reg it is. Did you upgrade the stator to generate more current when you changed the reg or just the reg itself?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Did you upgrade the stator to generate more current when you changed the reg or just the reg itself?
    Just the regulator. The motor is an '84 build and there's no optional replacement stator in the parts book for that model or any earlier year - just the standard 6.6A rectifier (32800-95720) and the optional 15A rectifier regulator (32800-95820) which I fitted.

The '81-'82 service manual (below) doesn't indicate that stator replacement is required either. The part number mismatch is just because the service manual I have is for an earlier year; 32800-95820 superseded and is directly interchangeable with 32800-95500.

VjGvxFJ.jpgbJbBZfU.jpg1J5mQq1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Regulators for low output engines have improved over the years. I have one on my small motor that is quite happy to run with or without a battery connected at up to 8 amps. It's originally made for bikes. Whether you need the extra stuff with your current reg is simply going to depend on how good a reg it is. Did you upgrade the stator to generate more current when you changed the reg or just the reg itself?
    scottar which one are you running and what motor
    cheers snap

Regulator/Rectifier, 12V 200W, Single Phase with Battery Eliminator | eBay

Motor is a Merc 15 Super - same as a Tohatsu 18.

Output as standard from memory was 14.8 volts. I've run it through a diode pack to drop the output to 14.2. Just about to see how it goes with a lithium battery.

thanks buddy i will order one in the link and see how it goes
    cheers snap

Morpheus, my first NEW motor was the DT85, ran really well but could be difficult to start. I'd also upgrade the regulator but from memory it blew one time due to reversing polarity on the battery. Stupid error on my part, protection of circuits wasn't a strong point. Loved the motor though, as apart from that slip it never let me down.