Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

The boat prep and paint thread today i was sanding the fairing i put on over a year ago now thats knocked back the plan is to start sanding the hull sides

The top cap qill need holes glassed and filled in i have quiet a few old windscreen bolt holes and bow rail bolt holes to fill in, lot and lots of flaky paint along the top of the gunnel rubber

I'm going all white using Northane 2 pack paint, i will be using Northan Epoxy Primer

Re: The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

Forgot the pics
    Attached Images Attached Images

yes please ...... love rebiuld threads!

It will be an interesting read. What spragun system will you be using.

the one in his pants by the look of things

2022 the year of the gif

Just to make sure Gaz, here is a link to download "how to" apply your coating.

https://www.norglass.com.au/storage/...-InfoGuide.pdf

"I'm going all white using Northane 2 pack paint, i will be using Northan Epoxy Primer". What are you going to follow it up with as this is NOT a finish coat.

Digs i will be using a Star S770 knock off gun or i may buy an original there not much money, the undercoat will be this

https://www.norglass.com.au/products...imer-undercoat

Top coat will be gloss white

https://www.norglass.com.au/products...northane-gloss

Im going to strip the whole top cap back to the undercoat there is just to much flaking paint all over it, no way to repair it all best way to just strip it using paint stripper

I applied some orange peel paint stripper but it barely worked so i need some bunnings paint stripper

There is a lot of dried uncured resin on the top deck the paint stripper today removed the staining but done nothing to the paint
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Im going to strip the whole top cap back to the undercoat there is just to much flaking paint all over it, no way to repair it all best way to just strip it using paint stripper

I applied some orange peel paint stripper but it barely worked so i need some bunnings paint stripper

There is a lot of dried uncured resin on the top deck the paint stripper today removed the staining but done nothing to the paint
    Just read very carefully the link I posted. Norglass is very specific about preparation of your surface, also about when to do it.
    Trust me, don't follow those instructions and you will be spending a lot of time on rework which will take you a lot, lot longer.
    I forgot, make sure you get the right nozzle size, also supercheeep have a gun that is probably cheaper than your knock off gun at half the price. It's your compressor that might let you down, what capacity is it.
    Edit, just checked out your spray gun, you need a decent compressor to run it, 195l per min is quiet a lot. Look at a gravity fed gun, something around 85 -100 l per min should suit you.

gazza i tried a few different paint strippers when I was after a away to remove the anti foul of my hull easier. Just be careful as some started to eat into the fiberglass and you will end up with more repairs then you want. From reading this you are just laying down a primer and then topcoat. You not putting a hi-build down? or is the primer enough to give you something to sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Just read very carefully the link I posted. Norglass is very specific about preparation of your surface, also about when to do it.
    Trust me, don't follow those instructions and you will be spending a lot of time on rework which will take you a lot, lot longer.
    I forgot, make sure you get the right nozzle size, also supercheeep have a gun that is probably cheaper than your knock off gun at half the price. It's your compressor that might let you down, what capacity is it.
    Edit, just checked out your spray gun, you need a decent compressor to run it, 195l per min is quiet a lot. Look at a gravity fed gun, something around 85 -100 l per min should suit you.
    Hey Digs compressor should'nt be a problem 120L 3hp puts out 14cfm but i have timed 17cfm

The paint is what i used on my transom and under the hull but this time i will be spraying it

The knock off Star 770S is only $60

Not to sure Brett about the hi build primer, norglass doesnt mention it

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Not to sure Brett about the hi build primer, norglass doesnt mention it
    The Shipshape primer you are going to use is a high-build primer. Mentioned in that doc I urged you to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Mentioned in that doc I urged you to read.
    I dont know why you bother anymore, Sam..

Its in one ear and straight out the other...

You just end up feeling like that guy in shortthenlong's Gif above..