Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

Re: The prep and painting thread, Caribbean V19

Quote Originally Posted by shaungonemad View Post
    Is that different paint stripper than all the other strippers? Usually like ten minutes is enough otherwise it dries out and the paint sticks again. I like to hit it with a bit of coarse sand paper before I apply and it seems to work better, I have also heard about putting glad wrap over it to stop it drying out, anyway have fun, no matter how careful I am I always manage to get some on my skin, probably doesn’t help that I’m normally wearing shorts and thongs whilst doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah its called orange peel paint stripper its a really soft grade i checked the boat 1 hour ago and it was lightly flaking the paint is spots, the bunnings paint stripper is so aggressive it works in 15mins but no way of getting that stuff

I have heard about the glad wrap but didnt even think of using that earlier that would have been perfect as the orange pell stripper is working so slow it may dry out before it finishes its job

Just go careful that it doesn't go too deep ... Orange-Peel can apparently affect gelcoats too. Their recommendation for stripping coatings from gelcoat is to do small areas at a time and check paint condition every 15 minutes. Once the paint is soft, wash the Orange-Peel off with sugar soap and rinse with fresh water.

https://www.norglass.com.au/storage/...-InfoGuide.pdf

I looked at the boat not to long ago it peeled about 40% of what i coated and its only a very light peel will post pics after i wash it off soon

Now, this is what you need...

Heres how the paint stripping went and here are my choices for spray guns https://www.tradetools.com/search?query=Spray%20gun some of these guns had really good reviews but the reviews have recently been deleted

The other spray gun is a Devilbiss brand
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ausfish Silver Member

what a great bit of kit.I can think of a few uses for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post

Got the paint stripperit mostly worked but the pressure washer was what got the job done now most of the cracked paint is off i need to focus on the spots left
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mopheus View Post

Think i seen one of those on ebay aus yesterday around the 700 buck mark

First picrure post in #9 post is being hard to get off its very thick possibly over 1mm thick i just tried pressure washing it off i got some off its peeling like soft rubber paint but also cracks off

Any idea how to get it off? Its that thick paint stripper has little effect

Where is Noel when u need advice, bugger!

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    First picrure post in #9 post is being hard to get off its very thick possibly over 1mm thick i just tried pressure washing it off i got some off its peeling like soft rubber paint but also cracks off

Any idea how to get it off? Its that thick paint stripper has little effect
    More paint stripper and either scrape it off or pressure wash it after about 15 minutes.

Yeah i tried that Shaun i left paint stripper on the boat for 20 hours before hosing it off than around 40 hours later pressure washed it off still no good

Its like the stuff is house paint and its only on the top deck of the hull

Yeah i tried that Shaun i left paint stripper on the boat for 20 hours before hosing it off than around 40 hours later pressure washed it off still no good

Its like the stuff is house paint and its only on the top deck of the hull
    I have never left it on for more than about 15 minutes once it starts to bubble wash it off .

I left the paint stripper on so long so it could continue to work thru the thick layer it doesnt do much, the pressure washer is doing most of the work its flaking and peeling the layer of paint off once the jet gets up under the paint it usually keeps running under the paint

I left the paint stripper on so long so it could continue to work thru the thick layer it doesnt do much, the pressure washer is doing most of the work its flaking and peeling the layer of paint off once the jet gets up under the paint it usually keeps running under the paint
    Did you wrap it so it doesn’t dry out? I have never heard of anyone trying to blast paint off 2 days after application. I have used plenty of paint stripper on cars that have been painted a hundred times. The process I use is scratch it up a bit with coarse sand paper slap on some stripper, push around with a wire brush and once it stops blistering or starts to dry out blast it off which takes like 15 minutes. Repeat on the next layer if needed.