Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Been Bitten!!??

Been Bitten!!??

Purchased a Good feed of Muddies fer Pre Christmas feed and in the process of Killing and lifting back flipper and shell one latched Claw across my left thumb with one Claw and cut the finger of the other hand (Played dead the bugger did).
    well tellya what i was homealone and screamed my lungs out with pain!! .
    Claw let go of the right hand where it cut across the finger but Claw that latched across the left thumb just dud deeper Feck!!! what excruciating pain that was !!.
    Picked the knife and bashed shyte out of the claw Shell with handle but again just dug deeper even though the Claw was no longer attatched to the body fer fecks sake!!!..
    Telling this so to give yez a heads up n put the buggers ta sleep or spike em dead prior tryint to break aport for deep Clean prior to Cooking.
    Thumb is still not quite where it useta be but getting there ..

Re: Been Bitten!!??

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Purchased a Good feed of Muddies fer Pre Christmas feed and in the process of Killing and lifting back flipper and shell one latched Claw across my left thumb with one Claw and cut the finger of the other hand (Played dead the bugger did).
    well tellya what i was homealone and screamed my lungs out with pain!! .
    Claw let go of the right hand where it cut across the finger but Claw that latched across the left thumb just dud deeper Feck!!! what excruciating pain that was !!.
    Picked the knife and bashed shyte out of the claw Shell with handle but again just dug deeper even though the Claw was no longer attatched to the body fer fecks sake!!!..
    Telling this so to give yez a heads up n put the buggers ta sleep or spike em dead prior tryint to break aport for deep Clean prior to Cooking.
    Thumb is still not quite where it useta be but getting there ..
    Super ouch. Did it spoil the taste of him?

Haha i have heard they nip hard yeah bugger that

Nah didnt spoil the taste , though made sure I Ate that specific Claw lol.
    And Yes HURT!!!!

Ausfish Platinum Member

I got told years ago by an old pro crabber (up around Roper I think it was) that whenever you're playing with them, have a bucket of water handy, if they latch on, put them straight in the water, they think they're free and let go... obviously doesn't help if the claw breaks off the body but

'Touch wood' but I've never been gotten, but have spoken to quite a few that have and they say that the level of pain is indescribable

Off topic a little bit, sounds like you bought them... I've never bought muddies, we were talking about it over Christmas, wondering what they charge per kilo, and what is the ratio of whole crab compared to the meat. Next time we catch some, we're going to weigh them and see what the difference is.
    Cheers
    Corry

Had one drive one of the spikes on the front of the inner part of a claw straight through a thumbnail by pulling it's claw in one day while extracting it from a witches hat dilly...........feel your pain. They are ridiculous strong.

The muddies are a special kind of tickle aye...
    Jack.

Crab claws work on hydrolic type pressure .... stab the joint membrane with wire or a skewer (a knife will work but is too hard to get it in deep enough) to release the pressure ...... friggen hurts like hell when they latch on.

BigE

It’s why I only get them at the Chinese restaurants
    too much effort and my luck this would hope.

hope kit too much damage for you

Hopefully learnt something from this lol and thumb still hurts under certain conditions lol

I got bitten by one that was about half the size of a legal one. Bit me on the nail, which ended up black and eventually fell off. Learnt a lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremic View Post
    I got bitten by one that was about half the size of a legal one. Bit me on the nail, which ended up black and eventually fell off. Learnt a lesson.
    And sand crabs aren't any lighter on the bite either, had one get me in the webbing between the thumb and forefinger. fortunately the esky was open and plunged straight into the ice, he let go but not before drawing blood.

On the odd occasion I go crabbing, I half fill the kill tank with ice first. Tip them in straight from the pot. They are completely lethargic after about 15 minutes.

A thread from long ago with someone claiming to have witnessed a mudcrab toe removal...ouch..!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...dcrab+injuries

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    A thread from long ago with someone claiming to have witnessed a mudcrab toe removal...ouch..!

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...dcrab+injuries
    Some good stories amounts to that lot . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......