Thread: Portable gas bbq

Portable gas bbq

Hey all

I've been considering buying a gas bbq for my upcoming Whitsundays trip .
    Currently we just take a twin burner (Coleman Fyreknight ) & cook in pots & pans ..... It's ok but I reckon we can do better.

The idea would be to ditch the Fyreknight & just take a single ring burner.

I've looked at the Webber Baby Q but it's just too bulky - It would be nice but.

I saw this thing in RTM the other day TCA542-rovin-portable-gas-bbqImageMain-515.jpgTCA542-rovin-portable-gas-bbqgallery13-300.jpg

It's certainly more compact than the Baby Q - just not sure on how good it is or how flexible it is for cooking thing like fish & crays

does anyone have experience with one ?

Rovin Portable Gas BBQ - Rovin (getrovin.com)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Portable gas bbq

I'm gunna start calling you Inspecter gadget if you dont stop buying all this new stuff, man..

I have been using this old thing for lots of years because it just runs on unleaded ...https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12482680...e2e9367bfb87e1

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I'm gunna start calling you Inspecter gadget if you dont stop buying all this new stuff, man..

I have been using this old thing for lots of years because it just runs on unleaded ...https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12482680...e2e9367bfb87e1

.... Go Go Gadget

Yeh I know ...... but I do have another trip to the Whitsundays in August & probably next Christmas as well . (Sadly I have to take close to half my annual leave at Christmas time & the Whitsundays offers some relative seclusion & great fishing / snorkeling options ) ...... My young bloke loves it too.

As I said this will be about ditching the 2 burner stove & replacing it with a single burner & the bbq ..... so not really adding to much in the way of weight or room (hopefully) - This at least gives us the option of bbq & hooded grilling .

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

BTW - The Rovin bbq worked a treat & we used it to cook both whole fish & steak .

It was actually nice to have whole fish cooked under a hooded bbq ensuring that it was cooked evenly ...... trout & red throat came up a treat.

The downside is cleaning the bugger .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

The downside is cleaning the bugger .

Chris
    I know it's a bit more weight but Kitty Litter, the clay type NOT the crystal type sprinkled in the bottom of the tray will absorb all your drippings for quite a long time. I used to use alfoil only but oils etc still leaked everwhere. Still use it but the KL made all the difference.
    The crystal type will burn which is why not to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I know it's a bit more weight but Kitty Litter, the clay type NOT the crystal type sprinkled in the bottom of the tray will absorb all your drippings for quite a long time. I used to use alfoil only but oils etc still leaked everwhere. Still use it but the KL made all the difference.
    The crystal type will burn which is why not to use it.
    What a top tip ...... awesome I'll try it

I'll have to still find some kind of tray because the problem area is under the burner

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What a top tip ...... awesome I'll try it

I'll have to still find some kind of tray because the problem area is under the burner

Chris
    line the bottom with alfoil first. and there is not as much weight as you think in the clay type as it is expanded.

Hi

I had a bit of a look at the website and can't see a measurement. Would you have a rough idea on the height from the plate/grill to the lid when the lid is closed? IE - How fat of a piece of meat would fit with the lid closed?

Cheers Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    Hi

I had a bit of a look at the website and can't see a measurement. Would you have a rough idea on the height from the plate/grill to the lid when the lid is closed? IE - How fat of a piece of meat would fit with the lid closed?

Cheers Matt
    Hi Matt

13cm would be the max height

If you had a 20cm wide cut of meat - it would be down to 10cm height at the front edge .

To visulise it - you could cook a hunk of meat the size of a house brick either laid flat or on its side ​I tried the house brick

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks heaps.