Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: electric anchor winch

Re: electric anchor winch

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Yeah one ison the wish list but i can't afford 2k yet
    Go the Minn Kota, a decent electric anchor winch (read - non chinese ebay crap)will cost you all of that and more.

Yeah one ison the wish list but i can't afford 2k yet
    What will a winch cost you ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Buy a Minn Kota with spot lock - problem solved

Attachment 125119

Love fishing the washes - Minn kota rocks

Chris
    During winter I fish all around Port Islands, get right in close and cast an unweighted Royal Red Prawn into the wash, get lots of Bream and Drummer, but also plenty of unwanted "ugly fish" Wirrahs and other crap, every now and then a Kingfish gives you a bit of a workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Go the Minn Kota, a decent electric anchor winch (read - non chinese ebay crap)will cost you all of that and more.
    Yeah haswing is only a few hundred cheaper than minnkota i may look at importing one from the usa

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    What will a winch cost you ?

Chris
    The winch im looking at is $500 no anchor, chain or rope and no bow sprit

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    During winter I fish all around Port Islands, get right in close and cast an unweighted Royal Red Prawn into the wash, get lots of Bream and Drummer, but also plenty of unwanted "ugly fish" Wirrahs and other crap, every now and then a Kingfish gives you a bit of a workout.
    I have fished off the rocks at bass point there are good fish but tons of big sweep so much u try catch yakkas for bait and its just sweep one after another

Thanks for the tips

I used to fish the washes at the islands & down at Bass Point ..."The crank" was a favorite - good snapper after a blow ....... a great area to fish

The photo of my young bloke was at Black rock (SWR) ..... that was a pretty wild day but man were the fish on - big bream , good snapper & the odd unstoppable . I felt for my young bloke when he dropped what I thought was a good jew ...... I had that sinking feeling when I saw the curly pig tail at the end of the leader

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Fished "the crank" millions of times, and during a really big sea, you just anchor west of the break and fish floating baits for Snapper.

The winch im looking at is $500 no anchor, chain or rope and no bow sprit
    I'll make a prediction here. An electric winch for $500 will trip the CB the moment your anchor doesn't give immediately. Gazza, you will be $500 poorer if you you go down this path. I was out off Caloundra today and on my big boat can't easily fit an electric motor but wasn't too worried as I was going to downsize. Now I have a Stressfree which probably can handle heaps more load than your cheapie, I had to anchor over some good spots, but the wind was Easterly the current was Northerly and basically the lines were going backwards and underneath the boat.
    Now I've been on several boats with electric motors and it is simply brilliant. With newer models the spot lock is considerably better and they have jog function that allows them to move a few meters if your not happy where you ended up.
    Getting one could be a slight problem with supply but that will give you time to save for it. Trust me, it will be a gamechanger.

Fished "the crank" millions of times, and during a really big sea, you just anchor west of the break and fish floating baits for Snapper.
    The Crank is where I discovered the joys of using a baitrunner .

I would anchor NW of the break ..... cast towards the break with only the smallest of pea sinkers - man it was fun & taught me so much about shallow water snapper fishing .

such fond memories

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I have fished off the rocks at bass point there are good fish but tons of big sweep so much u try catch yakkas for bait and its just sweep one after another

Thanks for the tips
    The most east point (towards Bushranger bay) produces some awesome kingfish & snapper

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I'll make a prediction here. An electric winch for $500 will trip the CB the moment your anchor doesn't give immediately. Gazza, you will be $500 poorer if you you go down this path. I was out off Caloundra today and on my big boat can't easily fit an electric motor but wasn't too worried as I was going to downsize. Now I have a Stressfree which probably can handle heaps more load than your cheapie, I had to anchor over some good spots, but the wind was Easterly the current was Northerly and basically the lines were going backwards and underneath the boat.
    Now I've been on several boats with electric motors and it is simply brilliant. With newer models the spot lock is considerably better and they have jog function that allows them to move a few meters if your not happy where you ended up.
    Getting one could be a slight problem with supply but that will give you time to save for it. Trust me, it will be a gamechanger.
    Totally agree

For a decent winch you will be paying near to $2500 - that is a good deal of the way to buying a 80lb minn kota

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah haswing is only a few hundred cheaper than minnkota i may look at importing one from the usa
    just go with a MK & import it

I did & saved near to $1200 for a 80lber (delivered plus GST)

Yes - I rolled the dice but never had an issue - i'm now out of what would have been the warranty period - I have a good repairer if anything goes wrong .

Seriously - ditch the idea of a winch ..... save & buy a MK or Motorguide - it will change your fishing life .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah i hear ya's, i will need atlease a 80lb model and there not cheap, a couple of sites i have looked at said recommended is 60lb, highly rated is 70lb for a 19ft hull