Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pushing boundaries

Pushing boundaries

Hi All

I just watched the latest upload on YouTube from Pelagic pursuit ....... now unlike 99.9 % of bloggers - this bloke gave his GPS mark for where he was fishing . I always knew that he was an adventurous bugger ..... but man , he was 100km ENE of the Whitsunday Island (as the crow flys)

now I'm adventurous .... but heck - that's some hall

Sure , nice boat (25ft Contender) - twin motors ...... Good reef for anchorage if need be .
    Do you need to travel that far east to catch fish ?

now I'm going to be up that way - If the opportunity exists .... i'll go wide but man not that wide

Love to hear your thoughts & experiences

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Pushing boundaries

Given it's probably only an hour and a half's run for that boat on a good day - probably less, I don't see an issue. Plenty of boats fish out there that would take a lot more time to get back if things got nasty and plenty would even do it with one engine these days. Carry all the right safety gear and comms and you are all good.

I'm a fan of his vids, one if the few where it's fishing and not selling!

I think distance is just what you're used to. I regularly fish 80 to 130km from Yeppoon and Turkey Beach. It's a long way at first but you soon get used to the travel time. Obviously weather is important and need to be self sufficient safety wise.

Yes there are fish closer but the quality goes up enormously 80km+. Places like Northwest Island/bunker group (90km from yeppoon) are addictive both in fishing and scenery. Do the miles get the smiles

Sent from my CPH2197 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Given it's probably only an hour and a half's run for that boat on a good day - probably less, I don't see an issue. Plenty of boats fish out there that would take a lot more time to get back if things got nasty and plenty would even do it with one engine these days. Carry all the right safety gear and comms and you are all good.
    Looks ike a rat run to me - through all the reef ..... I'm guessing 2 hours plus.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by wahoofishingcrew View Post
    I'm a fan of his vids, one if the few where it's fishing and not selling!

I think distance is just what you're used to. I regularly fish 80 to 130km from Yeppoon and Turkey Beach. It's a long way at first but you soon get used to the travel time. Obviously weather is important and need to be self sufficient safety wise.

Yes there are fish closer but the quality goes up enormously 80km+. Places like Northwest Island/bunker group (90km from yeppoon) are addictive both in fishing and scenery. Do the miles get the smiles

Yeh agree - on the content (mixes it up as well)

The bloke must be doing alright though - those trips would cost a bomb in fuel ( 2 trips a week) - funding a boat like that ....... nice gig

Dont you get bored traveling that far for that long ? - us southerners just don't need to travel that far ..... I might do an hour (40km)

no doubt you'd see some amazing places ...... fishing less pressured waters , I totally get it but I'm amazed at what he's driven past / over to get to his chosen destination .

Having just looked at where I'm planning to go (weather dependent ) ..... I guess doing 100km isn't that much worst than 75km ( but I will be only going from the outer islands not running from Airlie).
    Anyhow just interested in everyones thoughts / experiences

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

He may know his tracks a modern gps he can name speeds as locations and water depths so as he approaches shallow locations he can set a mark 1km off to slow down and do x speed than another marker when clear to speed up again to make the whole journy a quick run

For u doing the same run on a first go like old mate did it may take hours

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Dont you get bored traveling that far for that long ? - us southerners just don't need to travel that far ..... I might do an hour (40km)

Chris
    Our cruise speed is 50kph on an average day and 60kph on a good day so we cover the distance quickly. Music on, fishing talk, couple of beers, not boring at all. The time/distance is just normal now. Having said that when it blows up and we come home at 40kph in crap it feels like forever.

The whitsundays might convert you to bigger trips . Safety wise if you are properly prepared I dont see any difference between 30km and 100km

Our cruise speed is 50kph on an average day and 60kph on a good day so we cover the distance quickly. Music on, fishing talk, couple of beers, not boring at all. The time/distance is just normal now. Having said that when it blows up and we come home at 40kph in crap it feels like forever.

The whitsundays might convert you to bigger trips . Safety wise if you are properly prepared I dont see any difference between 30km and 100km

I've done a few trips off Lucinda - a couple in shitty conditions ...... & I'm pretty comfortable with what the boat can handle ( been through Fitzalan Passage in very angry conditions - that will test anyone) .
    This trip I do have clears on the boat which will make a hell of a difference - no ducking & weaving from spray .
    New batteries & serviced motor add to the confidence to go wide ..... but it will depend on the conditions - 2018 trip we had to stick to the Islands (15-20knt SE crap) .... so I'm keen to get out to the reef this trip .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I've done a few trips off Lucinda - a couple in shitty conditions ...... & I'm pretty comfortable with what the boat can handle ( been through Fitzalan Passage in very angry conditions - that will test anyone) .
    This trip I do have clears on the boat which will make a hell of a difference - no ducking & weaving from spray .
    New batteries & serviced motor add to the confidence to go wide ..... but it will depend on the conditions - 2018 trip we had to stick to the Islands (15-20knt SE crap) .... so I'm keen to get out to the reef this trip .

Chris
    Hopefully the weather plays nice, bugger time of year for Northerlies and storms... does seem to be the odd good day or two though lately. Keep us updated on your trip!

Yeah we are lucky here ..closest reefs are 35km's away and max for our trips are 80kms to the edge of the shelf..
    The Central QLD lads certainly do some miles to get out to the good ground but Wahoo has a comfy boat...

As mentioned on a good day with a bit of music and a beer ....time seems to go quick if the ocean is calm, dolphins, bait schools, tropical sunshine, blue water, reefs..life doesnt get much better

We also have a few marks on the way out where we try for fish and if they are really on the chew we mightnt end up right out at 80Km's but just 60 if the fish are there..

We were at the ramp this morning all loaded up and ready to launch but it was blowing around 12 knots with close set sloppy waves a bit over a metre and expected to blow up a bit more after lunch..

We watched 2 other boats heading out and could hear the pounding half a mile away....I left the decision to go with our 2 guests...one who is recovering from a slipped disc...

Last week we went out in perfect conditions and they loved it but once they watched the other boats making hard work of running straight into a head sea they decided we might just go for a run up the creek croc spotting this arvo instead...

Yeah the whitsundays and townsville/ayre needs a 80-100 km run to get to any decent reefs..dont let it daunt you Chris..just check your forecasts, particularly for storms, also check which way its forecast for the arvo seabreeze to kick up and plan yourtrip to return with the wind and waves rather then straight into it...(80 km's running into a decent headsea can be a very long trip ...80 km's running with the sea or across it, no problems..)..and i know you are anal so your safety gear is all in order but a Garmin inreach mini also means you can text from anywhere via satelite when you are out of mobile range....

Have just ordered an inreach too disorderly...are you happy with yours?

Have just ordered an inreach too disorderly...are you happy with yours?

Wahoo, We have had it a year or so and havent actually used it apart from playing around with its trackmaps... but its nice to know its there and not reliant on the boats electronics to function and in a waterpoof case its a good addition to the grab bag..

Down in CQ,how far out do you get mobile coverage ..?..its very limited coverage here once we are past 20-30km's out and our local coastguards usually are only manned on weekends..

Yep long trips like that were a thing of the past and heading out there aint so bad its the trip home trying to stay awake at the helm lol.
    His costs would be covered more than ample being a popular Yayatuber , and must add :"What a Job "!! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

Down in CQ,how far out do you get mobile coverage ..?..its very limited coverage here once we are past 20-30km's out and our local coastguards usually are only manned on weekends..
    Around the 40 odd km but theres also dead spots inside that. Cant rely on it at all. VHF coverage is good to about the 80ish km depending which direction.

Yeppoon coastguard is only fri sat sun but we are lucky with keppel sands covering all week. A few off the serious incidents in the last couple of years that ended with people in the water have been lucky enough to get picked up by commercial ships before coastguard even got close. Hopefully something none of us ever get to experience

Good luck to him. Not sure on the Contender but his previous boats were all on sponsorship deals with Haines so I guess being a top notch fisho all those companies get on board. Really enjoy his videos and Brooksy - very funny guy. Had tears in my eyes watching their mate that lost his contender while anchored doing one of their trips.