Thread: Offshore baitcasters

Offshore baitcasters

Is anyone using one of the offshore baitcasters (Daiwa Lexa or Shimano Tranx) for jigging? I’ve got a trip coming up and the old Okuma Metaloid is on its last legs so looking for a light overhead reel. These baitcasters are only a few hundred grams so you could hold them all day and not feel a thing.

Thanks

Re: Offshore baitcasters

Mate the Lexa has 10kg Drag and Tatula 13kg Drag though the lexa has the stainless gears ..

Capacity would be the biggest concern, followed by drag capacity.
    If you can get away with 150m of 40lb braid I suggest the Abu Revo Beast.
    Jack.

Hi tunaticer

I was at first suspicious of this too but the specs on the 300 Lexa says it can hold 220m of pe4 and pull 10kg of drag. The tranx is similar, slightly less drag at 8kg. For light jigs these seem fine.

I was a good boy this year .... yet to get it wet but it feels nice.
    on special ATM
    Alvey OS-300 offshore 2 speed 30kg of drag

BigE
    Attached Images Attached Images

Let us know how it goes Big E..they do look nice..

I enquired about them earlier in the year when i was after a Talica but dint want to pay $1100 for a Chinese sourced reel...

I'll wait till there are a few about and see what the concensus is..

there down to $799 now or about a grand with a high end rod as a package.

I have the 160 orbitor spin as well and it is a nice piece of kit , been picking it up over the stella on the last two trips.
    BigE

Quote Originally Posted by Billy C View Post
    Hi tunaticer

I was at first suspicious of this too but the specs on the 300 Lexa says it can hold 220m of pe4 and pull 10kg of drag. The tranx is similar, slightly less drag at 8kg. For light jigs these seem fine.
    Just bought 2 x lexas and could only get 167 meters of 10 strand PE 4 braid. I think its rated at 50lb.

Gave them both a good workout fighting the sharks for our catch and I am very happy with them so far. The only bug bear is Diawa only offer a 1 year warranty vs shimano 10 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    Just bought 2 x lexas and could only get 167 meters of 10 strand PE 4 braid. I think its rated at 50lb.

Gave them both a good workout fighting the sharks for our catch and I am very happy with them so far. The only bug bear is Diawa only offer a 1 year warranty vs shimano 10 year warranty.
    Thanks mate. I might grab one and put some PE3 on it. Yeah I agree on the warranty difference between the two big boys. It’s a massive difference.

Cheers

Iv got a tranx 400hg and can’t fault it