Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bilge Pumps

Bilge Pumps

Yes another thread so get over it

What are u guys running for bilge pumps, i couldnt decide auto or manual, 2 pumps or 1, small or large

I was going to run 2x 360gph rule pumps than looked at 2x 1100gph, also looked at auto pumps but chose to go manual just so i can check the pump is working

I ended up going a single 1100gph the old design rule knock off pump since im going offshore would u guys run 2 pumps? The one i ordered pumps around 4500lph (1100gph) if its in good working order should i need a second pump?

If a second pump is recomemneded should i have 1 auto 1 manual?

Re: Bilge Pumps

Personally for me, I’d run 2 genuine pumps, at least one auto (if not both).

Auto pumps will still have a manual override. Also don’t skimp (especially if you have only one pump) because if you’re far offshore and take a wave, you won’t be thinking about the few dollars you saved..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite simply put a bilge pump if you have or can borrow one in a bucket of water and switch it on and see how long it takes to empty. You would be surprised at how long smaller pumps can take, then work out how many buckets of water you might take on. Around about this time I think you will have figured out that you will be buying the biggest, and if you can fit a second one.

Fit the biggest pump that you can fit in the area, a manual pump is nice too, but not really necessary, 2 pumps on seperate switches with seperate outlets do provide some redundancy and added capacity in case of a real serious leak.

1100gph x 2

one auto with manual override
    one manual

brand name pumps tinned wiring heat shrink joints and decent deep cycle to run them

Thanks guys i went with the bigger rule design pump at 1100gph there are 3 or 4 smaller models, i have a decent bilge area so heaps of space to fit 2 pumps, 2x 1100gph i am thinking should be good for my size boat since its a open boat anything could happen

My thoughts:

1. two pumps for redundancy
    2. minimum 1100gph - they're tiny and not expensive; no reason to go smaller if buying a Rule
    3. install one lower on an auto switch
    4. install one higher on a manual switch for oh-shit moments

I went with 2x 1100gph Rule pumps for my 16' boat with a Johnson Ultima electronic switch for the lower pump (no jamming / corrosion issues). If I ever feel like that's not enough, I'll parallel both 1100gph pumps on the auto switch at the same level and install a bigger manually switched pump a bit higher.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    i went with the bigger rule design pump
    So you went for the $20 knockoff ebay special that has the same design as the Rule..?...

Just remember the higher the outlet, the less capacity the pump has, it drops off dramatically once you start raising the outlet (head)

Hands down best bilge pump you can have is a frightened man with a bucket.

Head hight should only be around 60cm (pumping height) pumps wires will be soldered to 7.5amp tinned wire than ran up to the console also soldered to the switches than run the 7.5amp tinned wire to the battery

Should i wire both pumps to the crank battery or to battery 2?

Crank battery or battery 1 will be for starting the engine and running the fish finder, nav lights and live bait pump

Battery 2 wont have a use unless i go 1+2

Im unsure how to wire the boat up

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Hands down best bilge pump you can have is a frightened man with a bucket.
    Well this is the method Garry currently uses so a bucket would certainly be a step up till he gets an actual bilge pump installed.....

leaky boat.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Well this is the method Garry currently uses so a bucket would certainly be a step up till he gets an actual bilge pump installed.....

leaky boat.jpg
    Surely thats a ban

Whatever you install make sure you test them regularly. Tested mine today and while both my switch lights lit up when set to auto, one wouldn’t work on manual suggesting it won’t work when the float switch kicks in. You don’t want to find this out at the wrong time!

Yeah thats the reason im going with twin manual pumps so i can switch them on for a second to make sure there working, with an auto pump i donno how i'd check to see if its working

Just waiting for some good weather to glue down some plywood bases for the pumps to be screwed to

I chose the old rule pump designs as i recall reading many years ago these pumps could withstand 6 hours of running dry so a second or two to test the pumps turning on shouldnt have any bad effects