Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trailer build

Trailer build

Just in the process of getting the stuff together to build a new trailer for my Sharkcat, has anyone every tried to bend a curve in heavy rectangular tube? There is a place near me that can roll it, but they want $400 to do two bends/curves, it's not critical, just thinking it might look "nice" rang a trailer place (Makay) and they won't sell a curved piece.

Re: Trailer build

So your going steel Noel? You could probably buy a hydraulic square tube bender for $400 have u thought of cutting and bending than welding to save the 400 bux?

I really don't need to bend it at all, Cat trailers are square, it was just a thought to put a curve at the front where it would meet the drawbar, just for looks. I thought about alloy, I beam steel, but decided on rectangular tube, in heavy wall thickness and block the ends, then fill them with oil, I built a trailer like that for a mate over 25 years ago, and it's still like new, I am using bits of my old trailer, all the running gear and so on, so only a frame kind of, then just roll the suspension setup under it. The only tricky bit is the guide up the tunnel, thinking of measuring and making it fixed, or fool around and make it adjustable, not sure on that bit yet.

My local alloy welding place had a go at bending apiece of 75x75 3mm RHS for me to match the other crossmembers on my trailer...
    His bender just squished it badly...no biggie because he said at the start he didnt know if it would do it and it didnt do it well at all...

Hmm, doesn't sound good then does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Hmm, doesn't sound good then does it?
    Noel, thats probably why they have quoted you so much...because its not as easy as it sounds and you need the right gear for it.....

My bloke didnt charge me and made it clear at the start that he didnt know whether it would work or not but he would give it a go if I wanted him too......

The engineering place near me said they could do it easy, but at a cost.....for $400 I will just make it like the old one, just a rectangle, 6 cross pieces (all flat and square) a drawbar, winch post/frame and it's done, until I get to the tunnel guide. The hardest part is cutting the old one to bits to rescue the good bits to reuse, but that's near done now, using the old skids and stuff, just looking for the cheapest steel, lots of places don't have any at all, best so far is $330 for an 8M length and I need two, so not too bad really.

I was going to replace the entire spring setup, because it has got "funny" roller rocker springs, they have an eye at one end and a kind of long oval eye at the other, plus they are 60mm wide, the spring place said to leave it like it is, as they claim it's a far superior system, so I am taking their advice. The brakes and stuff are fine, as are the wheels and so on, not a huge fan of hydraulic brakes on boat trailers, but that's what I have. I might buy a new winch (even though it really never gets used) it has a strange one, when you wind the handle it tightens up on a kind of fibre disc, when you turn the handle back, it releases the disc, and the drum can freewheel, never seen one like it before, but it's years old and still OK.

Are u buying australian steel Noel? Im sure u are, u can get really cheap steel up here there is a factory in narellan i use but mostly i use edcon steel

It must be slow - taking the pis5

alloy cat trailer on gumtree for 3k lismore, suit the 560 model seems cheap though seeing mine had cost me 7 k few years back

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Are u buying australian steel Noel? Im sure u are, u can get really cheap steel up here there is a factory in narellan i use but mostly i use edcon steel
    What's the name of the place at Narellen? I need some steel for a "cheap" non critical job soon, the trailer steel I am getting local.

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    alloy cat trailer on gumtree for 3k lismore, suit the 560 model seems cheap though seeing mine had cost me 7 k few years back
    I saw that, but it seems it has been modified a bit and the guy seemed a bit hard to get info out of when he had it advertised elsewhere, it should have sold in minutes if it was any good.

Even if the running gear is stuffed you could roll yours under it. That’s a bargain unless there is something seriously wrong with it.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.