Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stabicraft opinions

Stabicraft opinions

I'm interested in a 1850 Stabicraft. I've heard some bad reports about welds cracking. Has anyone had any experience with Stabicraft boats?

Re: Stabicraft opinions

Haven't heard of them cracking, but they are certainly not my pick, I fish out of one now and then, it goes OK, but it's just "different" and will never win a beauty contest!

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Great boats!

Mate has one in the same size and I reckon they’re up there with the best of the produced platey’s around.

Not everyone’s cup of tea in aesthetics but who cares if you want a fishing boat that is more than capable of heading offshore and knowing it will get you home should shit hit the fan.

Don’t listen to the naysayers who think they know every boat that’s ever been produced. If you’re in Southeast Queensland I can organise a run in one.
    Matilda

I actually think there a good appealing looking boat they are unique as in design but i like "different" i'd pick a staby hard top over a sirtese barcrusher but i have never rode in one just opinion on looks

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I actually think there a good appealing looking boat they are unique as in design but i like "different" i'd pick a staby hard top over a sirtese barcrusher but i have never rode in one just opinion on looks
    I’ve owned a Barcrusher (560C) same size as the Stabi Knotpretty is asking about and having fished in both, I’d take the Stabi. All in my humble opinion of course.

I’m of similar opinion. I actually love the look of the Stabi which is against the grain to most.
    Matilda

Im not sure if the idea behind stabi craft were the fast response ribed boats they do have some resemblence as in appearince, seen a video last night of a fast responce boat going thru the US florida juipter inlet in big seas i could not believe how it handled the stabi im assuming may handle the same way due to the round tube like outer hull

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    OK that's it ..... Stabi are shit

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A while back I had a good look around one of the new centrecabs ...... I'd own it . It's certainly aesthetically an improvement over the older models .

Going back to the original post - You can rest assured that they are a quality made plate boat .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

I think they are pretty good mine lands this week 1850 Frontier the last one out of the Factory to Australia not being made anymore Centre Consoles at this point .
    Bit harsh into a head sea but everything else is spot on for my needs in the future .

Thank you for your very honest opinions on these boats. I will investigate these boat a little further. Unfortunately I live in Northern NSW and at this stage unable to travel up to the promised land. Rod I hope you enjoy your new boat look forward to reading about your experiences with it. I wish everyone a very safe and happy xmas. Kenny

Stabicraft are probably one oft he best laid out boats for fishing on the market. The utilization of space is very impressive.

Arrow pontoon boats are an excellent design and very predicable in rough.

Unsure of quality/cracking issues

A mate has an 1850 Supercab and fishes mostly south of Kangaroo Island in SA, We often have 3-5 metre swells combined with tide & wind chop
    We have been out in some pretty ordinary conditions in that thing and I'd rate it the most seaworthy boat I've ever been in particularly with a following sea
    He's pretty hard on boats (and backs) and there are no cracking or weld issue that I've seen, I'd own one in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Knotpretty View Post
    Thank you for your very honest opinions on these boats. I will investigate these boat a little further. Unfortunately I live in Northern NSW and at this stage unable to travel up to the promised land. Rod I hope you enjoy your new boat look forward to reading about your experiences with it. I wish everyone a very safe and happy xmas. Kenny
    Do Yamba Engineering still build the Ocean Cylinders? Be worth a look if they do.

I was a bit keen on the 1850 myself. But they are very expensive and I'm not sure about paying a price premium over a fiberglass when you are not really gaining anything other than being a bit lighter to tow. There are cracking reports if you do a search but they seem to be mostly going back a while. Perhaps they quietly improved the design. It's still always a worry with aluminium boats.