Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat Servicing (keep it regular)

Boat Servicing (keep it regular)

Well with the upcoming trip to the Whitsundays - I thought I should get the boat motor serviced. (Suzuki DF140)
    A mate recommended a local mobile mechanic who he has used for the past 15 years .... so I went with him

The motor has only been serviced once - plus a gear & oil / filter change since I bought it . I'd done 94 hours since I changed the oils - Boat hasn't seen water since June & I haven't removed the cowling in probably 6 months.

Keeping in mind that the boat has run like clockwork - I was surprised to see the anodes badly corroded (asprins) , The spark plugs were very black which was apparently caused by running too cold ..... the thermostat was jammed open needing replacement (He'll be back in the next couple of days with a replacement) .
    Nice to hear that the gearbox oil looked like new - however the impeller was very close to going .

I was surprised at what I had seen & it highlights the need to stick to regular servicing .... Not to mention having a good look under the cowling on a reasonably regular basis .

Overall the motor was pretty good & I feel so much better that I did organise a service before heading away.

Having the service done at home where I could see the work being carried out & having everything explained was quite an experience.

anyhow - with Covid changing how we do things .... I thought this was worth sharing .

Happy boating

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Boat Servicing (keep it regular)

hopefully the open thermo was just sending a signal to make it run rich hence the black sparkplugs , did the fuel pressure reg check out ok

Quote Originally Posted by catshark View Post
    hopefully the open thermo was just sending a signal to make it run rich hence the black sparkplugs , did the fuel pressure reg check out ok
    That's pretty well as was explained

Yeh everything else was fine & the mechanic was pretty happy with everything.

Had a great chat about ETECs though ..... but I'll save that for another day

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

ppppppppppppp

You can buy a service "kit" for Suzuki's, it includes everything, anodes, plugs, impeller O rings, filters (oil and fuel) all sorts of stuff, I find it a good way to do what's required.

I’m surprised the impeller was cactus.
    would have starting it a few times over that 6 months saved it from perishing ?

ppppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    I’m surprised the impeller was cactus.
    would have starting it a few times over that 6 months saved it from perishing ?
    Boat is run for about 30 mins every 3 weeks

The impeller wasn't exactly cactus but it was on it's way out - there were cracks in it & when flexed they were darn obvious . It may have lasted another year - you dont know .
    regardless though , I said at the time I booked the service I wanted it replaced .

I'm pretty certain that impellers are made from acrylonitrile rubber - good resistance to chemicals & oil ..... but it does have poor flex modulus - hence why they crack or break off in chunks - 4 years is a good run - time to replace

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Chris, The guy I have put a deposit down with for my 140, does at least 50% onsite servicing, which is how I will do mine till warrantee runs out.
    I think being on hand, chatting to who ever is servicing it, watching first hand is a good thing,,, as long as your not annoying the shite of them.
    You probably get more of an Idea about your motor, any thing to watch out for, ie your anodes...
    Got to be a better option in my eyes..

Col
    Absolutely Col

This is the first time in 30 years of boat ownership that I have seen a service done .

this guy is an old timer & had no worries with chatting while he worked - pointed everything out ....... made him a cup of tea - spoke about all kinds of stuff as he wasn't on the clock . Watching him work was amazing - knew exactly what to do - had all the gear ... never spilled a drop of oil on the concrete .

but I did give him his space & time to work

I like how at the start - he said I don't know your motor but I'll get to know it ....... very cool

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

ppppppppppppp

Ducati say 5 years belt replacement weather you ride it or not.
    That would be a petrol Ranger Col? Couldn't imagine a diesel having a weak spot like that, tho I am out of my depth on modern diesels.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

My working life started in the rubber industry & i was involved with formulating compounds - There is rubber & there is rubber .... it depends on how well they are formulated

i've seen washing machine water hoses go in 12 months due to ozone attack ..... Natural rubber vs EPDM - 10 years - cost 3 X only more . Ultimately - what you dont know is the short cuts & the cost cutting involved

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

pppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    My working life started in the rubber industry & i was involved with formulating compounds - There is rubber & there is rubber .... it depends on how well they are formulated

i've seen washing machine water hoses go in 12 months due to ozone attack ..... Natural rubber vs EPDM - 10 years - cost 3 X only more . Ultimately - what you dont know is the short cuts & the cost cutting involved

Chris
    Ozone attack? Now that's a new one one me. With outboards my mechanic says 2 years max for an impeller, 4 years for fuel lines, anodes inspect at least every year, clean surfaces of them before replacing. And definitely check all those small earthing cables, undo them, clean them as they will build up oxides and a huge resistance.
    Watching someone who knows motors is definitely something one should do. I am a mechanicsl incompetent but have learnt a few things from the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Ozone attack? Now that's a new one one me. With outboards my mechanic says 2 years max for an impeller, 4 years for fuel lines, anodes inspect at least every year, clean surfaces of them before replacing. And definitely check all those small earthing cables, undo them, clean them as they will build up oxides and a huge resistance.
    Watching someone who knows motors is definitely something one should do. I am a mechanicsl incompetent but have learnt a few things from the pros.
    Yep - Electric motors (like on a washing machine generate ozone & ozone attacks certain types of rubber ( make them become brittle & crack)

Mark my word - all this stuff with EVs will cause it's own environmental issues ...... not so green

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO