Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lightweight Boat Covers

Lightweight Boat Covers

Remember not longback someone posted a link or something regarding lighweight Boat Covers but caanot find it ?? , Anyone onboard remermber ??..

Re: Lightweight Boat Covers

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Remember not longback someone posted a link or something regarding lighweight Boat Covers but caanot find it ?? , Anyone onboard remermber ??..
    Hey Vol the Ocean south covers get a really good review but its mentioned they last 3 years

I will need one shortly too asmy tarp is to big no where to store it, left it out in the rain and it stunk like baby shit and cat piss was f..... aweful and disgusting so for now its getting folded up when it comes off

Im also temped to pick up a shitty old sewing machine and giving my own cover a go

3 years would be a good run from one of those cheap covers, most last half that time.

Buy them on sale at anaconda
    Think I paid 49 down from 150 for my boat and a 17 foot half cab was 99

i garage store mine but keeps the dust off it from when the farmers start ploughing their paddocks

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I get 3-4 years out of my Ocean south brand cover. (On my third) It’s exposed to the full elements. $400 isn’t to bad considering I got a quote for $3,500 for a custom one that only came with a 2 year warranty.
    Matilda

I’m still running the same ocean south cover now for nearly 6 years. Very surprised at how it seems to be standing up especially considering the price point. I can’t really justify a custom cover given that I am not towing with a cover on it based on performance to date.

“Im also temped to pick up a shitty old sewing machine and giving my own cover a go”

Please please do it
    And please post photos

Boat cover ... or ... new sounder

Man you can pay a lot for a good trailerable custom cover ..... $4K for a 5m boat is what I was quoted (it was serious heavy duty though)

I had an Ocean South "trailerable cover .... yeh right" - it was more than adequate for home storage - specially at a few hundred dollars

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Boat cover ... or ... new sounder

Man you can pay a lot for a good trailerable custom cover ..... $4K for a 5m boat is what I was quoted (it was serious heavy duty though)

I had an Ocean South "trailerable cover .... yeh right" - it was more than adequate for home storage - specially at a few hundred dollars

Chris
    Yeah Chris,

I wouldn’t tow with it on the Highway. I’d like to hear if others have though and if so, how did it perform? I find it perfect for home storage for the price.
    Matilda

Ausfish Platinum Member

Yeah, I'd be interested to see if others have towed with them.
    I've got the same, the towable one, it's only been on for 3 months, but I'm sure the weather and climate up here (Cairns) will give it a good test to see how long they last. I don't tow with it, it's just for coverage while it sits in the yard as we haven't had the shed built up here yet.
    Cheers
    Corry

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20162711...ceaaf06%26pid%

EBAY Firesail_au I have had one of these for 3 years it has spent 18 months out in the yard waiting for a shed to be built still in good nick, Have never towed with it on
    cheers COL

Looks like a homemade boat cover will be worth it Ocean South want $330 for my boat size, the material is cheap online and a roll of Uv stable stitching is cheap as is a second hand sewing machine

Plus clip on buttons

Go get ‘‘em little fella

Quote Originally Posted by DATCOL View Post
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20162711...ceaaf06%26pid%

EBAY Firesail_au I have had one of these for 3 years it has spent 18 months out in the yard waiting for a shed to be built still in good nick, Have never towed with it on
    cheers COL
    Col, how is that Express of yours going. It needs to come back up here for a test run again maybe we could drop a few crab pots in as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Looks like a homemade boat cover will be worth it Ocean South want $330 for my boat size, the material is cheap online and a roll of Uv stable stitching is cheap as is a second hand sewing machine.
    Oh, forgot to mention, try sourcing some decent heavy canvas and be shocked at the price.

Plus clip on buttons
    Bern there, done that. The sewing machine needs to handle pretty heavy fabric. Make sure you are using the correct needle and thread. It can be done but most 2nd sewing machines you will find just won't cope. Fortunately my wife's machine will handle it.