Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 150hp Etec

150hp Etec

Looking at a boat with a 2014 150HP Etec on it very low hours . I want to repower it with a 150HP Yamaha 4 stroke if I purchase it. So my question is does anybody trade Etecs anymore. Our local marine dealer is not keen. If so what would it be worth?

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Re: 150hp Etec

Hey mate,

last year I re-powered my 130 Etec to a 150 Yammie. I was also looking at the 150 Zuk. Both dealers said “NO” to a trade in.

This was around 3 months after Etec announced they were closing up from memory. It also had over 700 hours and this was a concern for the dealers in regards to re-sell.

I ended up selling it for $4k privately and the Yammie dealer did all the work in regards to taking it off and putting in a crate etc.
    Matilda

That’s the problem looks like nobody wants etecs. To put 20k on this boat replacing the motor makes it a dear boat.

Why not just use the e-tec until something major happens and repower then, it may last years?

Quote Originally Posted by Knotpretty View Post
    That’s the problem looks like nobody wants etecs. To put 20k on this boat replacing the motor makes it a dear boat.
    Might be best to keep looking then if thats the case..

and take your time ..there might be a few low hours boats for sale next year once the crazy covid market cools off a bit....surely it has to eventually..

Yep I could do that but I have owned an etec and I just don’t trust them.

you just need a service guy who knows what he is doing with Etecs..
    What could go wrong.......................

My mate has a 150hp etec and loves it he took it out a week ago and ran beautiful, there only fault is bad fuel enjectors and bad exhaust valve sticking/seizing otherwise great engines

Would i put one on my boat? Shit yes

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    My mate has a 150hp etec and loves it he took it out a week ago and ran beautiful, there only fault is bad fuel enjectors and bad exhaust valve sticking/seizing otherwise great engines

Would i put one on my boat? Shit yes
    I have an Etec n love it also , simply flies , doesnt use much Fuel and so far has been reliable than most ive owned .
    Guess its a case of what one experioences ey..

Is there any gun etec mechanics Around the Tweed Gold Coast area that you could recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Knotpretty View Post
    Yep I could do that but I have owned an etec and I just don’t trust them.
    Just that statement alone tells me you should walk away, even if the best mechanic in the world lived next door, you will still be doubting it every time you go out!

I had a an Etec and had to be towed home by coastguard twice...once was 60 km's out where fortunately the only people we could raise was 000 on the phone with someone standing on the gunnel holding a mobile antennae taped to a gaff as high as he could..dont try that at home though folks...calling 000 from a boat means you will be met at the ramp by the cops and get grilled, have to write a statement of events and have all your safety stuff and boat gone over...last thing you need after being towed 60 km's..

I actually loved the motor but never fully trusted it after that...always had that seed of doubt in my guts..

Injectors a common expensive issue, gearbox and EMM problems on some models also..

I'd never buy a boat with one unless it came free with the boat with a couple of spare motors for parts and they threw in a coastguard membership...

Thats a bit cruel Dis. After all,Gaz rates 'em
    Tug tellum
    Not all tools are usefull.
    Nappies and politicians should be changed regularly for the same reason..

60kms u would be stupid not carring a sat phone or run twin engines

When i had the 130hp etec that was blown up due to a failed injector if i had the extra $500 i would have bought that second hand powerhead for it but i had some doubts about the powerhead coming from a wreckers so that would have played on my mind but swapping the powerhead on the 90hp mercury played on my mind too untill i tested it and now she has about 4 hours on it im lovin it

That 130hp etec on my hull would have flown