Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No luck with popper yet

Re: No luck with popper yet

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Bass day sugar pen lures are a good little top water lure that has a walk the dog action and a cupped face that gives a little splash ,great for whiting bream and trevally . If you find them a little light you can attach a small assist hook to the rear to give it a little extra weight , 6 lb leader or lighter will see good action out of these lures . Matt
    Thanks. I will look out for those lures.

I didn't realise you can add weight like that, thanks.

Lots of great advice above. Water under 50cm deep, prawns present, and a consistent non stop retrieve with a clear stick bait like the Bassday sugapen 70, lucky craft sammy, or Jackson Panic. The consistent retrieve without stops is critical for whiting. I heard a whiting guru describe the retrieve as little twitches of the rod tip at a rate of 2 per second, while slowly winding the reel just. Fast enough to maintain forward uninterrupted motion. I have not caught many whiting but I have caught a lot of other things doing this!

The retrieve speed for whiting is pretty fast.....take notice of how much distance a prawn flicking 3 times is.....that's almost jogging pace.

The prawns need to be active on the surface....they are the reason why the whiting are looking upward.

Water less than 60cm is best but in saying that my deckie one day pulled a 44cm ting on a popper in 4 feet of rather dirty creek water....there were lots of prawns about though.
    Jack.

Good summary.