Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No luck with popper yet

Re: No luck with popper yet

Quote Originally Posted by back2boats View Post
    I hate to question advice freely given, but how does a rod spook the fish?

Also, if I accept leader is used, fair enough, but why? Is it simply the colour scaring the fish. If so, what about a neutral grey braid?
    Flurocarbon leader is invisible. That’s one reason. But the other thing is braid has no stretch. Can make hookups a bit more difficult. Adding a metre or so of leader gives you a bit of shock absorbency.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Flurocarbon leader is invisible. That’s one reason. But the other thing is braid has no stretch. Can make hookups a bit more difficult. Adding a metre or so of leader gives you a bit of shock absorbency.
    So visibility might be a big reason I have had no luck. The yellow braid is quite visible. I will have to get some light FC.

The rod will restrict the distances you can cast light lures
    the longer you can cast the further you are away from the fish

google why should I use leader and read up on pros n cons I’m not going to write a essay on what’s been discussed since the dawn of time

Braid also has no abrasion resistance and under load will nick and break easily mono and flouo don’t and that’s on top of the viability discussion

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    The rod will restrict the distances you can cast light lures
    the longer you can cast the further you are away from the fish
    Thanks for that. Yep, I suppose I should buy a carbon fibre rod or something.

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If you don’t care for braid in regards to wind knots etc, when fishing light, you can always opt for straight fluorocarbon. My bream and whiting rigs used to consist of 4lb braid with similar leader. Now it’s 3lb fluorocarbon all the way with no leader.

I found casting distance was the only significant negative. Not really an issue when fishing from a boat.

In saying all that, braid in 10lb and over in my opinion rules.

All in my humble opinion.
    Matilda

The other thing to remember is the old “match the hatch” theory. I regularly fish popper early morning and late afternoon in fresh water for Murray cod. With great success. Why - these are a fish that regularly take things off the surface - insects, frogs, mice etc. Similar with Barra, toga, bass etc. But it’s not so natural with estuary salt water fish. Doesn’t match their usual feeding pattern. Think about how bream and flathead normally feed. It’s a tough gig to get them to feed off the surface. I have tried a number of times and my few successes have been when fish were actively feeding eg swirls around the shore chasing bait schools. Throwing a popper into that works well. Whiting are a bit of an exception. They can be quite aggressive. Don’t be discouraged though. Catching fish on the surface is addictive. Great anticipation and very visual when it works.

The only luck i have had popping for Whiting is to have a constant retreive with no stopping or jerking.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ehsman View Post
    The only luck i have had popping for Whiting is to have a constant retreive with no stopping or jerking.
    Interesting. A variation I haven't tried anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    The other thing to remember is the old “match the hatch” theory. I regularly fish popper early morning and late afternoon in fresh water for Murray cod. With great success. Why - these are a fish that regularly take things off the surface - insects, frogs, mice etc. Similar with Barra, toga, bass etc. But it’s not so natural with estuary salt water fish. Doesn’t match their usual feeding pattern. Think about how bream and flathead normally feed. It’s a tough gig to get them to feed off the surface. I have tried a number of times and my few successes have been when fish were actively feeding eg swirls around the shore chasing bait schools. Throwing a popper into that works well. Whiting are a bit of an exception. They can be quite aggressive. Don’t be discouraged though. Catching fish on the surface is addictive. Great anticipation and very visual when it works.
    The lesson here is that using poppers for whiting you are trying to imitate prawns. Sit and watch prawns skip across the surface and try and imitate that pattern. Stop the retrieve for much longer although in saying that sometimes you need a fast retrieve, fish can be fussy.
    When bait fishing for whiting I used to take out a small bucket of wet sand and use a ball thrower, dog owners will know what they are. I'd scoop up some sand and toss it out to where my bait is, the bits falling into the water imitates a small school of prawns scattering. This works really well around about now as the prawns start to school.

Generally the last of the run out you will find areas where small prawns are being harassed....work those areas with small poppers....
    For me whiting are always caught on a fairly fast retrieve without pauses.....they shy instantly the lure stops....bream are opposite.
    I run a short 8lb leader poppering for tings....almost eliminates tangles with trebles and makes no difference with the fish.
    Jack.

First thing I’d do is gets some 6-8lb Fluro Carbon and make 1m leaders using the FG knot which is the best for casting. That alone should see more success.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Bass day sugar pen lures are a good little top water lure that has a walk the dog action and a cupped face that gives a little splash ,great for whiting bream and trevally . If you find them a little light you can attach a small assist hook to the rear to give it a little extra weight , 6 lb leader or lighter will see good action out of these lures . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    The lesson here is that using poppers for whiting you are trying to imitate prawns. Sit and watch prawns skip across the surface and try and imitate that pattern. Stop the retrieve for much longer although in saying that sometimes you need a fast retrieve, fish can be fussy.
    When bait fishing for whiting I used to take out a small bucket of wet sand and use a ball thrower, dog owners will know what they are. I'd scoop up some sand and toss it out to where my bait is, the bits falling into the water imitates a small school of prawns scattering. This works really well around about now as the prawns start to school.
    thanks. Also, that sand throwing technique is also totally new to me.

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    Generally the last of the run out you will find areas where small prawns are being harassed....work those areas with small poppers....
    For me whiting are always caught on a fairly fast retrieve without pauses.....they shy instantly the lure stops....bream are opposite.
    I run a short 8lb leader poppering for tings....almost eliminates tangles with trebles and makes no difference with the fish.
    Sounds like a good tip on the leader weight. Also good info on retrieves.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    First thing I’d do is gets some 6-8lb Fluro Carbon and make 1m leaders using the FG knot which is the best for casting. That alone should see more success.
    So far I have decided that is the next thing I will try!