Thread: A bit of fishing gear needed for windy days

A bit of fishing gear needed for windy days

My trusty cannon lake troll downrigger spooled with 100lb white braid and a new 4lb bomb coated should see a few kingys this summer from offshore yeahaa
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: A bit of fishing gear needed for windy days

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    My trusty cannon lake troll downrigger spooled with 100lb white braid and a new 4lb bomb coated should see a few kingys this summer from offshore yeahaa
    Feck we have over 4 mtr tides here and the run can get ferrociouse at time and never use that much weight ey!!..
    Stay home when too windy mate n watch Yayatube..
    We have a Wreck not too far out offshore here with Kingys (Cobia ) Black Kings that im Shit Scared of when hooked up to as some of them fight n pull harder than some of the Steam Engines ive had pleasure to stoke in years gone by..
    They grow nearly as Big too , and all the hype about GT's!!?? well its a toss up which will beat each other to the bait or do you most harm when hooked up!!..
    Reds, Nannys, Pealies , Trout , Lipper , n i guess the Grassies will do me fine for offshore and Grunter , Threadies ,Blue salmon or Mangrove jack with some Whiting in amongst to keep each other Company lol..

Thats just one of the lightest bombs Vol think they start at 3lb and up to i think 12lb or possibly 15lb there is a missing clip called a release clip, you let the bait out 5-6 meters behind the boat than clip it onto the bomb (weight) than lower it down to just above the predators than drive the boat at idle speed and bingo u get the big fish

The kingys at port kembla breakwall love this method, u can troll live yakkas, slimies, squid it always brimgs out the big predators u can even use it for tuna and bill fish

I have owned this downrigger for 11 years but it hasnt seen much work

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    Thats just one of the lightest bombs Vol think they start at 3lb and up to i think 12lb or possibly 15lb there is a missing clip called a release clip, you let the bait out 5-6 meters behind the boat than clip it onto the bomb (weight) than lower it down to just above the predators than drive the boat at idle speed and bingo u get the big fish

The kingys at port kembla breakwall love this method, u can troll live yakkas, slimies, squid it always brimgs out the big predators u can even use it for tuna and bill fish

I have owned this downrigger for 11 years but it hasnt seen much work
    Port Kembla Breakwall ??. When i lived in Woubligong i used to steam out between both breakwalls heading back towards the Gong and as soon as i was abreast of the Shyteworks off Conno Beach i used to line up the shyteworks with a house with red roof top o Mt Kembla and some stack back at the works and used to put me back away from the breakers off Conno Beach , Gravely Bottom and that patch of ground i kid you not gave me yonks of Snapper , Bream , Jewies & berly for the yakkas there and have a livey out and hang on every now and then when a kIngy came through .
    Nightfishing there was something else again !!.. Nice memories ey..
    The Northern Breakwall used to come alive fishing off the wall itself for Taiolor , Bream n Hairtail . Dunno about nowadays though??..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Feck we have over 4 mtr tides here and the run can get ferrociouse at time and never use that much weight ey!!..
    Stay home when too windy mate n watch Yayatube..
    We have a Wreck not too far out offshore here with Kingys (Cobia ) Black Kings that im Shit Scared of when hooked up to as some of them fight n pull harder than some of the Steam Engines ive had pleasure to stoke in years gone by..
    They grow nearly as Big too , and all the hype about GT's!!?? well its a toss up which will beat each other to the bait or do you most harm when hooked up!!..
    Reds, Nannys, Pealies , Trout , Lipper , n i guess the Grassies will do me fine for offshore and Grunter , Threadies ,Blue salmon or Mangrove jack with some Whiting in amongst to keep each other Company lol..
    The thing is that we are down here in Shitney ...... Hats off to Gazza for looking into ways of catching fish down here

I've done some trolling with liivies for Kings off Jervis bay & run a 6lb bomb off the Cannon

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

A mate sent me a picture from a week ago anice 68cm legal kingy from the south breakwall at port kembla itsa very scary spot tho lots of sharks around i recall two of usdownrigging the breakwall 10 years ago and we troll in close from the breakwall out in the heading direction to just past the front of the north breakwall as as we passed the breakwall the night fisherman were yelling out "big shark" nowi have been up on the south breakwall 9-11pm and seen sharks come in and have a go at the salmon and big tailors

Another time in a small tinny the kingys were quiet at the breakwall so we tried towards the old pilot boat wharf before it wasclosed off we werefishing and my mates eyes opened up wide he sat down dropped his rod and said something dark and massive just went under the boat we were drifting inwsrds towards the little beach

He said it was huge but he wasnt sure what it was so it may have been a white pointer, weirdly enought seconds before he soon it i had just reeled in a full squid doubt the shark wanted the squid that small port is flooded with marine life

But yeah scary stuff always has my hair standing when i go down there love the fishing tho compared to sydney its a different ball game

In sydney u getting plate feeds down wollongong u wouldnt even fit a calamari on a dinner plate