Thread: Garmin 8400 series and remote touchscreen

Garmin 8400 series and paired remote touchscreen

I’ve recently invested in a Garmin 8412XSV for the new boat and have been trying to figure out how to keep costs down yet still have full functionality at flybridge and lower main helm, without duplicating the expensive head unit. I am aware of some off the shelf waterproof touchscreens that do what I want, but at over $2k each, these still aren’t cheap. So I set about googling up options. What I found is the Espresso 15” glass touchscreen. https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/...specifications

At a bit over $500 I decided to buy one and I am pleased to say that it works beautifully. It isn’t waterproof, so the Garmin will go up top and the Espresso in the main helm. I’ve only bench tested so far, but am very keen to get the full system installed. Time will tell how durable the Espresso is, but living in the fully enclosed saloon should see a good life, I hope. The Espresso comes with most cables. Only extra I need was an OTG adaptor to connect the Garmin USB port to the Espresso.

Re: Garmin 8400 series and remote touchscreen

Would be great to see some pics once it’s all set up.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Would be great to see some pics once it’s all set up.
    here it is being bench tested

Attachment 124959

Here it is on bench test. I’m sourcing 90 degree adaptors for the cable connections so they drop back into dash more neatly than how they are now. The Espresso screen only weighs 700 odd grams and is 5.5mm thick. I will surface mount them and probably just use sticky backed Velcro. Up top I will mount the Garmin on the factory bracket and build a lockable shroud to protect them from the elements and keep them secure.

we have been building those waterproof/shock proof screens for this purpase for a few years now. its a great solution for dual helm/location vessels that do get a bit wet/exposed
    nice work

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

More amazed you found a 8412 in stock

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    we have been building those waterproof/shock proof screens for this purpase for a few years now. its a great solution for dual helm/location vessels that do get a bit wet/exposed
    nice work
    The Moose option looks very good and one I considered, but given I didn’t need the waterproof option, I opted to find a cheaper alternative. The Moose 17” screen package is $2500. With my savings I’m picking up another 8412 tomorrow and have ordered a second Espresso screen. This will give me awesome options for viewing sounder, GPS and down the track, radar.

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    More amazed you found a 8412 in stock
    I got lucky and grabbed a 6 month old unit from QME that was traded in on a TZT3. I then got the call from Trymax last week that my turn had come up in their waiting list.

Ausfish Bronze Member Ah Me Ting's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Here it is on bench test. I’m sourcing 90 degree adaptors for the cable connections so they drop back into dash more neatly than how they are now. The Espresso screen only weighs 700 odd grams and is 5.5mm thick. I will surface mount them and probably just use sticky backed Velcro. Up top I will mount the Garmin on the factory bracket and build a lockable shroud to protect them from the elements and keep them secure.
    I can not open your attachments, so not sure what they show...

But, am very curious ...

Can you touch the expresso screen and it controls the garmin mfd?

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Me Ting View Post
    I can not open your attachments, so not sure what they show...

But, am very curious ...

Can you touch the expresso screen and it controls the garmin mfd?
    Yes, that is correct. I will post again once installed on the boat, but on the bench test I was able to control the Garmin unit using the espresso touchscreen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Yes, that is correct. I will post again once installed on the boat, but on the bench test I was able to control the Garmin unit using the espresso touchscreen.
    hey mate, how did you get on with this?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    hey mate, how did you get on with this?
    All good. I’ve got my 8412 installed on fly bridge with the Espresso monitor at the lower helm. I needed to use the Garmin “on the go” USB cable, then a USB repeater cable to deal with the distance between the two machines. Then an HDMI for the display and a power supply for the Espresso. Working from the Espresso is just like using the Garmin directly. Screen resolution on the Espresso is also excellent. The only thing I haven’t done is mount the Espresso properly, as I’m still working out how I’m setting up the lower helm long term.

Ausfish Platinum Member

This is a great idea. I've been looking at what I can do to put a screen facing forward from our Centre Console, I'll have a look at these. I don't need to actually use it, it's just a viewing screen from the front. I contemplated trying to install a full MFD, same as what Ryan Moody has on his 6m boat, but the front of our console fully opens, so this would be a pain to install, this looks like it could just face forward behind the screen.
    Cheers
    Corry

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    This is a great idea. I've been looking at what I can do to put a screen facing forward from our Centre Console, I'll have a look at these. I don't need to actually use it, it's just a viewing screen from the front. I contemplated trying to install a full MFD, same as what Ryan Moody has on his 6m boat, but the front of our console fully opens, so this would be a pain to install, this looks like it could just face forward behind the screen.
    Just be aware that the Espresso isn’t water proof.