Thread: Need help Catching mullet at south west rocks

Need help Catching mullet at south west rocks

Hey there. Needing advice on catching mullet around south west rocks nsw. I've been trying to get into live biting for jewfish off the breakwall and the only live bait I can get is herring and I'm having a hard time keeping them alive once on the hook. I've heard that back Creek holds mullet but have tried for hours with bread and a small hook with no luck. Not sure if I'm in the wrong spot for them or not I've tried at the mouth of back creek and behind ingenia caravan park. If anyone has some advice It would be greatly appreciated

Re: Need help Catching mullet at south west rocks

Quote Originally Posted by grant_86 View Post
    Hey there. Needing advice on catching mullet around south west rocks nsw. I've been trying to get into live biting for jewfish off the breakwall and the only live bait I can get is herring and I'm having a hard time keeping them alive once on the hook. I've heard that back Creek holds mullet but have tried for hours with bread and a small hook with no luck. Not sure if I'm in the wrong spot for them or not I've tried at the mouth of back creek and behind ingenia caravan park. If anyone has some advice It would be greatly appreciated
    i'm no expert on SWR mullet - but yeh back creek does have them . Try a mullet trap

Those herring though are bloody good bait ..... we've caught jew , cobia , jacks & stonker flathead drifting down the breakwall from the jewbite down to the mouth

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Made this video quiet a few years back on how i catch poddy mullet in Sydney i use a couple methods

Location 1: is a shallow beach i use a clear teliscopic bait trap, 2 sinkers one in each end, place bread inside the trap get it wet than slosh the bread around so it breaks up and starts to come out of the trap, place the trap on the sand just below the trap, chuck small pieces of bread around the trap and walk away

Location 2: is deep water same place just not on the beach, i use the teliscopic bait trap, tie two coke bottles one to each end of the trap removing the stickers is a must and tie the bottles using fishing line so it cant be seen by the mullet, place bread in the trap, tie on 100lb mono line to pull the trap in and chuck the trap out where the mullet are, chuck some bread around the trap

Use only really good bread as in tiptop, wonder white, dont use no brand bread and dont use cheap crappy chinese bakery bread

I’ve caught them in back creek and that little creek behind the main beach if it still exists and has had some fresh water
    or launched the boat at the break wall ramp and went across and Into the shallows on the other side

used various plastic traps as don’t have the patience for using hooks although years ago use to jag them with a size 10 treble under a bread float

We get them the old fashioned way in FNQ..Gar and Sardines as well...just have to keep an eye out for crocs...

sean netting.jpg

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    We get them the old fashioned way in FNQ..Gar and Sardines as well...just have to keep an eye out for crocs...

sean netting.jpg
    Thank goodness we still can in Queensland.

Sometimes we take for granted that we can still throw a net when other states can’t.

Seems like hard work any other way……
    Matilda

sean netting.jpg
    They shoot you in NSW if you are anywhere near water with a cast net

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hey mate. Did you guys struggle keeping the herring alive once you put them on the hook and cast them out. Mine just seem to die after I reel them in to check if they are still on the hook.

Hey mate. Did you guys struggle keeping the herring alive once you put them on the hook and cast them out. Mine just seem to die after I reel them in to check if they are still on the hook.
    Herring are not very robust , so

Keep the handling to a bare minimum - use a wet rag or glove

Hooks - as small & as fine a wire as practical ( target species dependent)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    They shoot you in NSW if you are anywhere near water with a cast net

Chris
    Shame that...its a great way to get enough good fresh bait for a good fishing session...

Are you guys able to use a drag net...?

We used to use my 50 footer regularly at Macushla in in the same area of that photo above if the bait was a bit sparse for the cast net....

One bloke would do the wide sweep out near that rock and I, being a short arse, would do the drag along in knee deep water...

Getting difficult these days to find someone to volunteer to be out in chest deep water in Missionary bay ....cant imagine why though...

Shame that...its a great way to get enough good fresh bait for a good fishing session...

Are you guys able to use a drag net...?

We used to use my 50 footer regularly at Macushla in in the same area of that photo above if the bait was a bit sparse for the cast net....

One bloke would do the wide sweep out near that rock and I, being a short arse, would do the drag along in knee deep water...

Getting difficult these days to find someone to volunteer to be out in chest deep water in Missionary bay ....cant imagine why though...

..... I couldn't imagine why there would be an issue with using the drag net at Macushla

mind you - I do remember seeing a croc on the beach there one - & a croc trap set just off the beach on another occasion. ...... but hey

I'm not sure about drag nets in NSW though ...... never had any interest in them.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

We get herring here in the local lake the asian fishos catch them mostly they seem to love them, we only get little herring a little big bigger than poddy mullet

Maybe its your fishing tecnique, heavy line, heavy sinker, pulling the fish in fast than it swims or reeling it in backwards killing it? Maybe try fish light enough light sinker light line etc.. that u can see the rod tip moving from the herring swimming so u know its alive and dont need to reel it in

Herring here in our lake seem to like the water just next to a fast moving channel im not sure if its a eddie or if the water is turbulant but they seem to be mostly located in the one spot

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    We get herring here in the local lake the asian fishos catch them mostly they seem to love them, we only get little herring a little big bigger than poddy mullet

Maybe its your fishing tecnique, heavy line, heavy sinker, pulling the fish in fast than it swims or reeling it in backwards killing it? Maybe try fish light enough light sinker light line etc.. that u can see the rod tip moving from the herring swimming so u know its alive and dont need to reel it in

Herring here in our lake seem to like the water just next to a fast moving channel im not sure if its a eddie or if the water is turbulant but they seem to be mostly located in the one spot
    re : eddies & herring - exactly the same at South West Rocks .... you catch them at the Jew bite ( a kink in the break wall that forms an eddie ) Not a bad place to catch the odd Jew either

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

More importantly is the pizza place still running at swr ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevej View Post
    More importantly is the pizza place still running at swr ?
    last time i was there ( Sept 2019) - yes

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO