Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More electronics?

Re: More electronics?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Navigation with a compass and chart - yep it can be done but we simply didn't get into the sort of areas that are possible with modern day GPS. Things were done "at a distance" and I'll bet at a very controlled pace if remotely near obstructions. Even trawler operators who in most cases were navigating off radar marks using triangulation and comprehensive note books admit that GPS changed the way things were done - allowing access to areas that previously were basically off limits due to being too close to potential hazards. I couldn't imagine attempting to navigate out of the centre of somewhere like the Swains on a compass and chart alone in the middle of the night. A little bit of set and drift and I suspect there would be a bit of a crunch. In areas that are predominantly open though, I still see some merit in having one.
    Yes you take it easy but you should do that when travelling at night My main go to grounds for night fishing was in between two reefs and rather large and dried at low tides in places and once around these heading back to port was another reef in a direct line of travel back. Lucky to have three light houses you could just pick which gave me something to triangulate off. Certainly places you would stay away from at night as you always had to have the ability to get back to port if required during the night.

Having the charts and the good book (variations, current etc) to calculate your heading was a must and the most important thing of all was your compass. I always had very good quality compass and I would swing it in the harbor and keep records as you are playing with your life and those on board. Was building vessels under surveyor back then and before we could hand the boat over and get final sign off the compass needed to be calibrated. Back then this was done with a person that was certified and most times was a harbor pilot. After many trips doing this and the gents explaining the tricks I was doing my own boat. It can be surprising just how much your compass can be out as you would know from your back ground.

Years ago when we were young we did do some crazy shit just to get out for a over night red trip. One rule we did try to keep too was always two boats but sometime even that was disregarded. Down this way that is never a problem as there will be 20 boats next to you.

As to the Swains Scott, I don't think I would even do that with GPS at night

Quote Originally Posted by baitable View Post
    Navionics plus i phone = back up GPS unit... its really not that hard...
    eah, you are right. I was talking to someone who advised I get an ipad and use TZ iBoat. Apparently it does more than the navtronics maps/apps. If in internet range it will apparently tell you weather , currents and a heap of other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    eah, you are right. I was talking to someone who advised I get an ipad and use TZ iBoat. Apparently it does more than the navtronics maps/apps. If in internet range it will apparently tell you weather , currents and a heap of other stuff.
    If you have internet range - then you have plenty of options .

With Navionics - the charts that are downloaded will work & you have your position on that chart . .... hence why it is a good back up option.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

With Navionics - the charts that are downloaded will work & you have your position on that chart . .... hence why it is a good back up option.

Chris
    What's internet @ 20kms offshore, it's a lot better than a few years ago but still hopeless. I know you can buy phone aerial extenders, just throw in another $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    What's internet @ 20kms offshore, it's a lot better than a few years ago but still hopeless. I know you can buy phone aerial extenders, just throw in another $1000.
    Dignity your not a spring chicken either and may have the same trust in electronics and telecommunications as I do. Don't get me wrong as I am right into all this technology but struggle at times understanding it or keeping up with it.

Boating is much safer now with it but when all fails I wonder what most people would do. If your in daylight and can see land and know your area pretty good chance you can get yourself home with out issues. What concerns me is that people are travelling much further out into the big blue with no idea what to do if the technology fails and it does.

I don't go anywhere out to sea unless I am confident I can get back without GPS and all the other gizmos. I have never had a compass and chart fail

My adult Son fishes with me a lot and at present fish coastal until the big boat is back in service. Makes me laugh with some of the apps he has on the phone for fishing. One is for fish ID, he scans the fish and it comes back with the fish ID. Not always correct with the response but he believes it. Had many a argument in the boat over this until we get home and pull the Grants book out to prove it wrong. EPIRB's in my book are the best advance made in my boating life.

I feel we put to much trust into technology at sea and land for that matter. Boating/fishing use to be relaxing once, fuel the boat, get some bait, make sure the battery would start the motor and off you went. Now we worry about transducer placement and how many head units we can install in the boat and will we have phone service. Funny I do the same shit now also

I am probably off track for this thread. Sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    My point is - Yes if you have internet you have options . Navionics charts downloaded on my IPad dont require signal - but shows my position on the map

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

My point is - Yes if you have internet you have options . Navionics charts downloaded on my IPad dont require signal - but shows my position on the map

Chris
    Nagg, how does that work by showing position ?

The bloke I first started reef fishing with up here 20 years back was too cheap to buy a GPS so he would just use landmarks, compass and sonar to find the reefs up to 50-60kms out...all worked pretty good except one time in poor visibility and rain coming home he ended up about 20 km's north by the time we reached the coast on the return trip..

We used to take his boat one trip and mine the next..I only had one of those early GPS units that had no maps so when going from mark to mark we had a couple of hairy moments of nearly hitting reefs and rocks in between..

Another time I was heading to the reef in pissing down down rain and fog ..crossing the shipping channel I vaguely made out a shape to one side and then another on the other side...i hit the stops before I realized it was Tug towing a barge and I had almost hit the cable between them at 25 knots...about the only time that I thought radar would be really handy..

Nowadays we just use 2 combo units and the bathymaps app as a backup on the phone..

Cant really see a situation where those things and a chart and compass wont get you out of trouble...

My biggest concern is being hit by another boat (probably a pro boat on autopilot) at night while I'm sleeping...though I'd say its a lot less busy up here then down your way..we are lucky to see one or 2 other white lights on the whole ocean at night out wide up here...

pppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    Nagg, how does that work by showing position ?
    Where you are on the chart - your heading , speed etc
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Where you are on the chart - your heading , speed etc
    If you don't have signal where does this information come from on the IPAD ? or does receive the information from the head unit GPS.

I must be missing something.

More electronics?

Interesting info
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by brett62 View Post
    If you don't have signal where does this information come from on the IPAD ? or does receive the information from the head unit GPS.

I must be missing something.
    If you get the right model it will have a proper GPS chip. Then it's just a case of downloading the right maps prior to departure so you don't need signal. You can get a wifi device that wires into your GPS via nmea0183 as well - just need to confirm it will work with your chosen software.

Chris
    Unfortunately we are often about 60km outside internet range

I didn't know that you could get them with a built in GPS. Hard to keep up with all the gizmos.

That would certainly get you out of trouble if you had a electronics melt down. I do carry a old hand held GPS in the boat which combined with charts and compass would see me out of trouble.

Come to think about it, most of the smart watches have built in GPS that also can be used for position.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    If you get the right model it will have a proper GPS chip. Then it's just a case of downloading the right maps prior to departure so you don't need signal. You can get a wifi device that wires into your GPS via nmea0183 as well - just need to confirm it will work with your chosen software.