Thread: GUSA DHX703 guide questions

GUSA DHX703 guide questions

Hi all,
    I've started putting together a GUSA DHX703 to be used with a Calcutta conquest 100 , probably around 4-5kg. I wanted to use a set of Fuji GSVSG that I've had for years. As it is a pretty slender blank, I was thinking a guide train of 20 12 10 8 8 8 8 8 T spaced at (from tip in mm) T 93 93 98 102 104 127 167 233. Are the size 8 guides strong enough? I positioned these from static testing but have never built one of these blanks nor used in the field so would appreciate any advice about guide setup. Thanks all in advance for your thoughts.

Mike

Re: GUSA DHX703 guide questions

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyh View Post
    Hi all,
    I've started putting together a GUSA DHX703 to be used with a Calcutta conquest 100 , probably around 4-5kg. I wanted to use a set of Fuji GSVSG that I've had for years. As it is a pretty slender blank, I was thinking a guide train of 20 12 10 8 8 8 8 8 T spaced at (from tip in mm) T 93 93 98 102 104 127 167 233. Are the size 8 guides strong enough? I positioned these from static testing but have never built one of these blanks nor used in the field so would appreciate any advice about guide setup. Thanks all in advance for your thoughts.

Mike
    Hi Mike yes the 8s will be strong enough ive built a 12-30lb 6'6 DHX and used 8s on it there a nice blank ive got a 4-10 pound DHX spin stick and its my bay rod for snapper mackerel and what ever ,ive caught 6kg mac tuna, 70cm snapper on it there are a very nice blanks ,the 703 should catch well above its weight.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Hi Mike yes the 8s will be strong enough ive built a 12-30lb 6'6 DHX and used 8s on it there a nice blank ive got a 4-10 pound DHX spin stick and its my bay rod for snapper mackerel and what ever ,ive caught 6kg mac tuna, 70cm snapper on it there are a very nice blanks ,the 703 should catch well above its weight.
    I thought you’d be along soon with your knowledge, good work . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post

I wish i had bought more from the mudhole Matt Graphite USA were the trail blazers of the dual helix wrap i went to Stcroix after they were sold as they built with dual helix wrap and now Stcroix has gone,Graphite USA are now United Composites Austrailan owned down at Runawaybay, but there very dear blanks but are the same mandrills and recipe i think, they still supply the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    <br>
    <br><br>

I wish i had bought more from the mudhole Matt Graphite USA were the trail blazers of the dual helix wrap i went to Stcroix after they were sold as they built with dual helix wrap and now Stcroix has gone,Graphite USA are now United Composites Austrailan owned down at Runawaybay, but there very dear blanks but are the same mandrills and recipe i think, they still supply the USA.

Yeah I’m still happy with my 2 that Al built for me .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Thanks Chris for your info about the 8's. Mike

Hey Chris, you're right that they're pricey but I'm much more interested in the tech and performance. I built a United Comp UC1000 for overhead spinning a few months back, sadly untested but a beautiful blank, excellent finish and so strong for its weight.