Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Talica Vs Speedmaster

Re: Talica Vs Speedmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    It’s really all you need up North Queensland Chris. I have a mate who is licensed for commercial coral trout and hand lines are all he uses out of his 5 metre Hooker dory. Bit of electrical tape around his fingers and good to go.
    I cant think of anything worst than handlining - perhaps deck winch & electric reels .

I'm strictly a rod & reel kind of bloke .

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I cant think of anything worst than handlining - perhaps deck winch & electric reels .

I'm strictly a rod & reel kind of bloke .

Chris
    Same mate. Some of the catches he sends through though makes you wonder why we spend the coin to catch something that he does on a normal day out with a bloody hand line.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    Same mate. Some of the catches he sends through though makes you wonder why we spend the coin to catch something that he does on a normal day out with a bloody hand line.
    I get it - That's his living & a handline would be the most efficient way of landing a fish - no different with commercial jew fishoes down this way with their handline & springers .

I even use a rod to catch live bait & I've never carried a handline on a boat that I have owned . ...... each to their own

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

When i had my Reefboat there was always a handline oboard or should i say two handlines , one fer me and one fer the Missus for when in shallow water chasing Lipper or Trout.
    Three ganged hooks a Pilles and a running small sinker running right up to the sinker was and still is the quickest way to land both those species when on the bight ..
    Mindyou deeper water is a different story ..
    If your strictly Sportfishing the handline is out of the equation but Bread n Butter Fishernman then the game changes slightly.
    Only time i normally used a handline is as above mentioned .

Talica Vs Speedmaster

I love using a rod but after Cooktown I really enjoyed the hand to hand contact with the fish especially after getting smoked on my saltiga 3 times . Being shown how to do effectively was just another experience in my fishing life , I did it as a kid and always had a pilly floating out the back in years gone by . But having said that I’m back with a new rod on my saltiga as I am finding difficult fishing the way I was and as I get older I’m finding it’s getting tougher . Iv enjoyed the multitude of different methods and styles and the evolution of lighter more powerful equipment. Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Re: Talica Vs Speedmaster Vs Handline

I'm yet to hear anyone say "nice handline mate" ..... or hear of anyone spending weeks looking for the perfect handline
    The evolution of the handline .... plastic reel or coke bottle . I'm waiting for someone to put up a report on their new carbon fiber handline caster .
    Hell you cant even have a Shimano vs Daiwa thing when it comes to hand lines.

But hey , If you want to impress someone with your handlines - USE BRAID

Nah , sorry nothing beats handing over a big wad of cash for that new fishing outfit ....... then the anticipation of actually using it .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

https://www.fishingyoyito.com/

Not carbon fibre but 60 USD and it comes in gold.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by shortthenlong View Post
    https://www.fishingyoyito.com/

Not carbon fibre but 60 USD and it comes in gold.

Matt
    I'd love to see someone use that up on the reef ...... US$65

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'd love to see someone use that up on the reef ...... US$65

Chris
    I didn't read too much as I was distracted by the link to Naked and Afraid. But having grown up in FNQ with a father that handlined everything I'm pretty sure I would have been left at home if I turned up with a yoyito even in gold.

Matt

Geez, not much love for the humble handline ...

Hope this link works...

https://www.facebook.com/10026023547...37861831603498

It shows just how cool is is to be directly connected to a fish with just a piece of string...quite a raw and primal feeling...my missus wears gloves but I dont bother with them or a finger stall...the cuts and burns are part of the experience..

I love the handline with 80lb schneider line for reef fishing to 25-30m and also for Spotty fishing with just an unweighted hook and half a pillie...they are also a lot better for landing trout as if you have your wits about you, you can mostly stop them before they manage to get back under the coral...you just get bricked far too often with a rod with that initial hit and run that trout are so good at......

But a Talica will probably be my next reel for wreck and shoal fishing for Reds in the deeper water..

If you fancy boys have never used a handline for Reef fishing just try it before you knock it...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post

Hope this link works...

It shows just how cool is is to be directly connected to a fish with just a piece of string...quite a raw and primal feeling...my missus wears gloves but I dont bother with them or a finger stall...the cuts and burns are part of the experience..

I love the handline with 80lb schneider line for reef fishing to 25-30m and also for Spotty fishing with just an unweighted hook and half a pillie...they are also a lot better for landing trout as if you have your wits about you, you can mostly stop them before they manage to get back under the coral...you just get bricked far too often with a rod with that initial hit and run that trout are so good at......

But a Talica will probably be my next reel for wreck and shoal fishing for Reds in the deeper water..

If you fancy boys have never used a handline for Reef fishing just try it before you knock it...
    Once was enough ...... pulling kingfish out of the bommie at fish rock (South West Rocks) - using parachute cord .

Nah , bent rods & screaming drags for me

Not to mention the bling factor ....... I couldn't imagine staring at a hand caster bling bling.jpg

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hope this link works...

Until you’ve been shown and are willing to give it a go you’ll never understand I guess , I love my blingy rods and reels shit I just bought a new rod for the reefs down here for my saltiga . But in Cooktown at least you couldn’t afford to give the fish an inch otherwise you’d end up in the reef or they get eaten by the sharks, handling you give them nothing rod and reel the drag and rod give them too much . But up to you I guess but I know None of the pros use rods up that way .Matt

Once was enough ...... pulling kingfish out of the bommie at fish rock (South West Rocks) - using parachute cord .

Nah , bent rods & screaming drags for me

Not to mention the bling factor ....... I couldn't imagine staring at a hand caster bling bling.jpg

Chris
    Nice outfit I must say that should hopefully slay a few .

Talica Vs Speedmaster

Hope this link works...

Yep it’s a whole new method if your shown the right way , I tried with my saltiga outfit and caught a few but got smoked a couple of times and was told throw that thing up in the rod holder and jump on the handline . After being shown the technique and told to get my thongs off I never went back up that way ,it was arm over arm combat but never giving an inch . Loved it but now it’s back to the saltiga down here and the handline is in the cabinet until I buy another boat . Matt
    This little fella could handline like a demon and he was fussy with his bait , he always wanted the tail of the Husser

Great pic that Matt..

Great bloke there as well taking newbies and kids out in his boat and showing them fishing FNQ style..some of them will make memories for life..

Doesnt get much better..even if they do get a few cuts and burns on the fingers..