Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 55lb riptide amp to speed useage.

55lb riptide amp to speed useage.

Amps for speeds from the foot peddle with Stanard and Kapowii props,full speed ran out around 9 and didnt start till 2 and this was a static test in a garbage bin.

standard--speed--Kapowii
    89amp-- 2-- .94amp
    2.39 amp-- 3-- 2.3amp
    5.7amp -- 4-- 5.3 amp
    9.75amp-- 5-- 9.22 amp
    15.6amp-- 6-- 16.5amp
    22.44amp--7-- 23.25am
    31.24amp-- 8-- 32.2amp
    38.1amp -- 9-- 41.5amp

Ive always wanted to know and now thanks to these amp meter's i do.

Re: 55lb riptide amp to speed useage.

Quote Originally Posted by chris69 View Post
    Amps for speeds from the foot peddle with Stanard and Kapowii props,full speed ran out around 9 and didnt start till 2 and this was a static test in a garbage bin.

standard--speed--Kapowii
    89amp-- 2-- .94amp
    2.39 amp-- 3-- 2.3amp
    5.7amp -- 4-- 5.3 amp
    9.75amp-- 5-- 9.22 amp
    15.6amp-- 6-- 16.5amp
    22.44amp--7-- 23.25am
    31.24amp-- 8-- 32.2amp
    38.1amp -- 9-- 41.5amp

Ive always wanted to know and now thanks to these amp meter's i do.
    Chris, what about Rabbit Run mode which is full 10. 36 amps is what mine draws on 9 but it started popping the CB on 10. It was supposedly a 50 amp CB but apparently not. Changed it out since but haven't retested it.

It did not go any faster at 10 and i did not have the auto pilot on but that gave a good idea of the amps im drawing at 3to4 which i normaly run and mine is an old model.

It did not go any faster at 10 and i did not have the auto pilot on but that gave a good idea of the amps im drawing at 3to4 which i normaly run and mine is an old model.
    Mine is also an older model, there is definitely a difference in power usage when using Rabbit mode. Dropping it to 9 barely seems to make a difference in speed but I recall being told it made a big drop in power usage. I did test it on the water and it was surprising but there was a significant drop. I might be out on Tuesday and I'll try to remember to take my inline amp/voltage meter and report back.

Yes real time testing will be interesting im thinking the same thing and running a meter next time im out and useing it, im thinking about a lithium prismatic cell atlas battery 140 to175 amp to remove 42kg from the front hatch 15kg seems easyer to move around too.

Yes real time testing will be interesting im thinking the same thing and running a meter next time im out and useing it, im thinking about a lithium prismatic cell atlas battery 140 to175 amp to remove 42kg from the front hatch 15kg seems easyer to move around too.
    When I tested my old 55lber it drew just under 55amps on rabbit .

Yeh , that weight loss going to Lithium is a game changer ..... that & the usable power .
    Even if you just went with a 125 amp LiFePO4 - that's going to be equivalent to a 200amp AGM ...... It just boils down to how much juice you use / how you use it (trolling vs spotlocking) & the access you have to power for charging.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    When I tested my old 55lber it drew just under 55amps on rabbit .

Yeh , that weight loss going to Lithium is a game changer ..... that & the usable power .
    Even if you just went with a 125 amp LiFePO4 - that's going to be equivalent to a 200amp AGM ...... It just boils down to how much juice you use / how you use it (trolling vs spotlocking) & the access you have to power for charging.

Chris

Yes that's interesting Im wondering now if my 55lb riptide is 55lb thrust if its only drawing close too 42amps, 45 lb thrust draws 42amps i was expecting some were nearer to 50amps somethings not adding up i cant see that the auto pilot would draw an extra 8amps.

And yes ive read that the 100amp lithium is equivalent to 165 agm but the more lithium you got the less drain, the more cycles as you know, so a few more amps is always better and for only a kg or 2 more in weight and a few more hundred.

Yes that's interesting Im wondering now if my 55lb riptide is 55lb thrust if its only drawing close too 42amps, 45 lb thrust draws 42amps i was expecting some were nearer to 50amps somethings not adding up i cant see that the auto pilot would draw an extra 8amps.

And yes ive read that the 100amp lithium is equivalent to 165 agm but the more lithium you got the less drain, the more cycles as you know, so a few more amps is always better and for only a kg or 2 more in weight and a few more hundred.
    Was going out but the main freezer has died and I'm hoping to get it fixed today, might still get out. No doubt some of the facilities use up more amps. Twice now when I've really pushed it hard and lost steerage, slow down and got it back, turned out the battery was basically at it's DOD.

Absolutely - more is better when it comes to batteries - Certainly if you want longevity . I'd love my leccy to be running off a 200amp (24 volt LifePO4) -

That battery draw with your motor sounds low - Are your measurements off a Lithium battery or an AGM ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well the fridge mechanic can't come till tomorrow so I headed out.
    1st problem, the fish weren't biting, eventually got 2 duskies, 1@55 & 1@46.
    2nd problem, went to do the trial but couldn't find my reading specs. Thought I'd cideo it but when I got home the video was so full of glare it was useless, all 10 of them.
    Once at home I checked the meter and it's peak was 35.6 amps. That would have been on Rabbit. On Rabbit going against the tide it showed 3km/hr, dropped it to 9 and the speed dropped to 2.9km/he but you could hear a distinct drop in the motor working.
    I checked my manual and it suggests a 50amp hour CB so if it is using more than that there is something wronf. Mine is a 2013 Riptide

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Was going out but the main freezer has died and I'm hoping to get it fixed today, might still get out. No doubt some of the facilities use up more amps. Twice now when I've really pushed it hard and lost steerage, slow down and got it back, turned out the battery was basically at it's DOD.
    Sometimes i think the main board in the head unit are a bit slow to catch up and respond.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Absolutely - more is better when it comes to batteries - Certainly if you want longevity . I'd love my leccy to be running off a 200amp (24 volt LifePO4) -

That battery draw with your motor sounds low - Are your measurements off a Lithium battery or an AGM ?

Chris
    That was of on a 160amp AMG freshly charged .

Sometimes i think the main board in the head unit are a bit slow to catch up and respond.
    It was definitely low on volts both times, 120 amp AGM battery is now 8 years old but will still give me enough to run for at least 6 hours which is ample ATM. Looking at selling this boat (and the other) and consolidating to a single one which is why I haven't bothered doing anything about upgrading the battery to Lithium Iron Phosphate yet.

Just read that you should not run your minn kota motor on lithium if your running it over 85% for a prolonged period as it could cause damage to the motor and that's from minn kota.

Just read that you should not run your minn kota motor on lithium if your running it over 85% for a prolonged period as it could cause damage to the motor and that's from minn kota.
    Yet I am sure they have brought out their own brand of Lithium Batteries to run on them. Even on their website they have a "how to pick a lithium battery" for the Minn Kota. Maybe only on newer models it applies.

https://minnkota.com.au/lithium-2/

Edit:
    Mind you that I have a couple of lithiums in the 4x4 which I have thought of taking out and using on the Riptide (55lb - 2013 model) but I have enough concern about whether it will handle it and so won't do it till I get my new boat and Leccy.