Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jigging

Re: Jigging

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    8knots drift speed
    Where do you get an 8 knot current in Sydney..?...you sure you weren't white water rafting..?

Sorry i meant .8 knots drifting, i ordered the 60gram black and silver shimano baku baku closes colour that would resemble a squid
    Attached Images Attached Images

T was atoss between Shimano Baku Baku or Daiwa kohga, the daiwa replacable skirts so i assumed it was a lesser product than the baku

I chose to try these jigs as im not an aggressive fisho and these jigs u drop and reel in slowly no jigging needed all though they are classed as micro jigs

Also where the biggest squid grounds are in the port hacking is only a couple hundred meters from the open water snapper spot and just as close to the flatty grounds

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    I wouldn’t jig in those depths or currents. Better luck bouncing a soft plastic with the least amount of weight possible. All in my humble opinion of course.

I normally don’t look at jigging in anything less than 20 metres.
    I was thinking exactly the same thing

My starting point would be 20m (in low light periods) .

Anything shallower & it would be a lightly weighted placcy or soft vibe cast ahead of the boat ( I usually spotlock) .

I just don't have the confidence that the boat & associated noise would not be spooking fish directly under the boat ....... so I don't waste my time .
    Even bait fishing for snapper etc in less than 15m - I cast well away from the boat & I'm yet to be outfished by someone fishing straight up & down in that situation .......

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

T was atoss between Shimano Baku Baku or Daiwa kohga, the daiwa replacable skirts so i assumed it was a lesser product than the baku

I chose to try these jigs as im not an aggressive fisho and these jigs u drop and reel in slowly no jigging needed all though they are classed as micro jigs

Also where the biggest squid grounds are in the port hacking is only a couple hundred meters from the open water snapper spot and just as close to the flatty grounds
    Some Ball Sinkers , assist hooks , paint n some imagination and you can make your own gazz, what i did,

There's a spot I regularly lure fish for Snapper that's about a 2 minute run from the ramp, and only from 8-12m deep, the boat noise doesn't seem to spook them as I am pretty successful at that spot, mainly in the late afternoon, but then, there's a spot out deep that I fish (if conditions are right) that produces using the same gear. Who knows what really goes on in a fishes "mind"

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    There's a spot I regularly lure fish for Snapper that's about a 2 minute run from the ramp, and only from 8-12m deep, the boat noise doesn't seem to spook them as I am pretty successful at that spot, mainly in the late afternoon, but then, there's a spot out deep that I fish (if conditions are right) that produces using the same gear. Who knows what really goes on in a fishes "mind"
    Fishes mind

lower light period is probably the key in your case .

My last trip to Evans Head (May) ..... middle of the day - mostly clear sky , pretty flat seas in 6m of water & we're catching quality fish on floating pillies

midday jew.jpg70cm snap.jpg105 Jew.jpgpinkies are on.jpg20lb Jew.jpg Certainly glamour conditions & not what I would call conducive to good fishing ..... but it was on fire

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice Fish there Chris n well done ..

Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Nice Fish there Chris n well done ..
    Ta

Really cool to have a mate come down & experience what I had talked up for months in advance

What was so special though is that every other boat in the area buggered off - incl the local charter boats & moved to deeper water - the fishing for us just got better.....

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Will give the shimano baku baku jig a go next time im out

[
    ppppppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by blacklab View Post
    Nice day out there Chris...
    The last two days of our trip were amazing ..... a bit of wind early before dropping out mid morning

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Will give the shimano baku baku jig a go next time im out
    I called into the Marsden Park BCF yesterday & they had the Savage version (Cuttle Eye) in various sizes up to 135g for $10 each in the bargain bin . So I picked up a couple for the Whitsundays Trip .
    Last time I was up the Whitsundays I lost my only 2 in a matter of minutes on unstoppables ......... come to think of it , I should have grabbed a few more .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......