Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overhead rod suggestions

Re: Overhead rod suggestions

I like this thread cause it saved me asking the same question.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    I like this thread cause it saved me asking the same question.
    I was actually disappointed - it's a nice blank with a good guide train - absolutely perfect for fishing 40lb .... but I just dont know what they were thinking with the butt section - it's like it is a trolling rod (long fat fore grip) ... tucked under the armpit the reel handle would be banging into your boob therefore really only giving you the option to fish slung low .

On & off I've spent years looking for this style of rod ..... but as it's typically for a Qld trip - i move on ....... till the next time (like now)

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    I was actually disappointed - it's a nice blank with a good guide train - absolutely perfect for fishing 40lb .... but I just dont know what they were thinking with the butt section - it's like it is a trolling rod (long fat fore grip) ... tucked under the armpit the reel handle would be banging into your boob therefore really only giving you the option to fish slung low .

On & off I've spent years looking for this style of rod ..... but as it's typically for a Qld trip - i move on ....... till the next time (like now)

Chris
    I like it as with my arthritic hands the thicker front grip works better, I've got a couple of other rods with a thin forward grip and find them tiring to hold after a while. When I use the Venom I have a Cushit that I use and it sits comfortably under my arm. You might need to use a sports bra Chris, might help

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I have a few Jigging Master overhead rods Chris that I use for similar applications. Although I use them predominantly for jigging, they are versatile.

They’re not as long as you’ve stated you want but the butt length would be I think. The “Fallings special” and “Three Kings” are the models I use in various ratings.

The “Three Kings” is a 6’3” PE 3-6 which is my similar set up that I think you’re chasing. (Reel is a Jigging Master power spell PE3 with Varivas PE3-48lb.)

Has served me well for the reefs off 1770 etc.
    Matilda

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I like it as with my arthritic hands the thicker front grip works better, I've got a couple of other rods with a thin forward grip and find them tiring to hold after a while. When I use the Venom I have a Cushit that I use and it sits comfortably under my arm. You might need to use a sports bra Chris, might help
    I much prefer lingerie to be honest

The long fat fore grip wouldn't be an issue - but I just couldn't warm to the short butt section .... needs another few inches

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Ducksnutz View Post
    I have a few Jigging Master overhead rods Chris that I use for similar applications. Although I use them predominantly for jigging, they are versatile.

They’re not as long as you’ve stated you want but the butt length would be I think. The “Fallings special” and “Three Kings” are the models I use in various ratings.

The “Three Kings” is a 6’3” PE 3-6 which is my similar set up that I think you’re chasing. (Reel is a Jigging Master power spell PE3 with Varivas PE3-48lb.)

Has served me well for the reefs off 1770 etc.
    Thanks mate - too short ...... I've got a couple of similar rods ( jigging) which I've tried to use before - even at 6'6" its just too short

Those old school jigging rods from the 70's/80s would be more like it

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

OK legends - here is the deal & maybe a few of you Qlders can help me with .

I'm after a rod recommendation for bait fishing the NQ reefs / bommies - The brief is

* Over head
    * 6'8" - 7'
    * 40-50lb braid
    * Relatively high winch mount (50cm) - Tuck under the armpit for straight up & down fighting.
    * Medium - slow taper
    *full or split grip

Does anyone know of such an animal - This is the kind of rod you would use for Nannies , reds , trout etc .
    I cant find anything like it down here but expect that there would be options up Qld way.

Look forward to your thoughts -

Chris
    Hi Nagg I went with a Fishos Fraser Series same blank as the RLFV19 but custom built for Fishos at Hervey Bay and from the butt to the center of the reel it is 44cm 7foot and 15-24kg
    47D9193F-CDEB-4E9C-9289-953E8A2FFBDD.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Green View Post
    Hi Nagg I went with a Fishos Fraser Series same blank as the RLFV19 but custom built for Fishos at Hervey Bay and from the butt to the center of the reel it is 44cm 7foot and 15-24kg
    47D9193F-CDEB-4E9C-9289-953E8A2FFBDD.jpg
    Hi Jason

Sounds good - would you mind putting up a few more photos ?

I'm glad to hear that there are others that feel the same way about rod design
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well I went looking at reels today & ended up with both a rod & reel

I reckon I looked at 100 rods today & found what was pretty close to what I was looking for

Shimano Anthem SW 30-50lb 6'9" with a long butt section (45cm to center of reel) - 2 piece Cheap as chips too .

I matched it up with a Shimano Talica 16 (600m 40lb Tasline)

Feels like a nice outfit - quite well balanced.

I did try matching it with one of the new Saltiga OH (2 speed) & it just wasn't a good match .

The good new s is that if it doesn't meet expectation - it wasn't a huge outlay on the rod & I can put one of my other overheads on it.
    I'll load her up tomorrow & see how it feels with 12-15kgs of drag

I think it will be alright

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I did some load tests on the rod (Shimano Anthem SW 30-50lb 6'9") yesterday

I set the drag & used a spring scale to measure the the drag pressure . You can put an honest 7kgs of drag through this rod without feeling that you are overdoing it in a straight up & down situation. On a running fish - you could go to 10kgs easy.

I'm feeling this rod is a good choice for 40lb braid - & fishing 10kgs drag at a sunset setting. I reckon this will do the job up north & be a good kingy rod down here.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I was looking at the Anthem today and despite the guy in the shop directing me to the high dollar rods I kept coming back to this rod. HAve you used it yet?
    Im hoping to pick up a light reef rod. Light in weight as I have been wearing my hands and wrists out fishing all day holding onto heavy old glass jig stick from the 80's..lol

thanks for the reporting and effort

I matched it up with a Shimano Talica 16 (600m 40lb Tasline)

Chris
    I might put one on my Santa wish list..

I see them for $589 at a few places..

Chris, was there a particular reason you went for a 16....?.I will be replacing a tyrnos 20 which knocks me around a bit these days fishing in 70m ....

I really dont need that sort of line capacity if it means I can go a bit smaller and lighter...

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    I might put one on my Santa wish list..

I see them for $589 at a few places..

Chris, was there a particular reason you went for a 16....?.I will be replacing a tyrnos 20 which knocks me around a bit these days fishing in 70m ....

I really dont need that sort of line capacity if it means I can go a bit smaller and lighter...
    It was in stock

I did go with a 12 in mind thinking that the 16 might be too big & heavy ...... but the 16 actually balanced out the rod nicely ( better than any of the other Shimano's or Daiwas)

I think they key would be to take the rod with you & fit the 16 / 12 .... see what feels best .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    I was looking at the Anthem today and despite the guy in the shop directing me to the high dollar rods I kept coming back to this rod. HAve you used it yet?
    Im hoping to pick up a light reef rod. Light in weight as I have been wearing my hands and wrists out fishing all day holding onto heavy old glass jig stick from the 80's..lol

thanks for the reporting and effort
    Hi Brett

I've only fought the odd water drum in the backyard at this stage . ..... sorry . It certainly will be able to fish 40lb to the hilt based on the load I put on it.
    From my prospective - the Anthem range look exceptional value ... not to mention that there were few (if any) options for a longer overhead rod with a decent butt length.
    I was seriously looking at a custom made rod to fill the niche.... so $300 vs $800 feels pretty good to me .
    I'm impressed enough with the range that I've steered a mate towards the spin rods for his snapper fishing .

Out of curiosity - What rod were you being steered towards ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO