Thread: Tilt trim on 2000 Johnson 115 hp

Tilt trim on 2000 Johnson 115 hp

URGENT HELP REQUIRED

Went raise motor and it raised two inches and stopped. Worked okay about a week ago.

I need to raise to get boat out of yard.

Not really good with electrics.

How can I check problem.

Also can I raise manually.

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Re: Tilt trim on 2000 Johnson 115 hp

check connections , follow the green/blue wires to the relay, check nuts are tight, check negative main cable

Especially check the main negative, mine had corroded badly behind the crimp lug yet looked ok under all that shrink wrap. Worked while washing the boat after a trip but failed when I put in a new battery, the jiggling of the cable was enough to stuff it completely.

First off, does the tilt motor run, or is it dead? You can raise it manually, there is a flat head "screw" on the starboard side, you just need to loosen it a turn or two and you can lift the motor up, problem is, most times the screw is seized, proper service guys give it a bit of a turn at service time.

ppppppppppppp

We still don't know if it's "dead" or motor working but no movement.

Doesn't work in either direction or only in one direction? Tried from both switches(helm and engine)? Checked to make sure no blown fuses?

Sorry about the delay. Noel, I found the motor wouldn’t turn over either.

I found that the negative wire had corroded and no connection to battery, like Dignity suggested. Replaced and all okay.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Don't you love it when the it turns out a lot cheaper than you originally thought. Also how easy it would have been to lose power at sea, just a bit scary.
    Glad you have it sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Don't you love it when the it turns out a lot cheaper than you originally thought. Also how easy it would have been to lose power at sea, just a bit scary.
    Glad you have it sorted.
    Absolutely. At sea would have eventually got to the battery, but only after several minutes of semi panic

Thanks everyone for a cheap fix

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast