Thread: Mandatory life jackets for WA

Mandatory life jackets for WA

https://www.msn.com/en-au/money/mark...?ocid=msedgntp

Interesting to see that now anyone on a boat smaller then 4.8m will have to always wear a jacket when more then 400m from land..

Not sure what the ABC is getting at using the example of three guys that drowned with a 5.5m boat though..the new lifejacket rule would not have applied to them anyway..

Also interesting to compare different state laws like those of the NT where you dont need a boat licence, dont have to register your boat and the skipper can be legally as drunk as a skunk...

I wonder how this new law will go down with WA boaties...?..I know I and many others wouldnt adhere to it over here in QLD...the electonic night signalling device sounds like a handy addition to the safety gear requirements though...

Re: Mandatory life jackets for WA

Doesn't apply to me but inflatable jackets were a gamechanger for me anyway - we've always worn them while underway since. Whether they stay on while fishing depends on how hot it is and how annoying they are, but accidents tend to happen a bit slower at anchor / on the drift than when underway.

IMO it's good to see 27 MHz finally phased out completely and VHF/HF made the standard, plus the requirement for EPIRBs to be GPS enabled. No way I'd replace pyrotechnic flares with a SOLAS light but I would consider carrying one in addition - SOLAS for when waiting to be found and pyros for if you see or hear a boat or plane.

Might be time to consider national laws for boats, cars, trailers, towing ,licenses and so on.

I read about the no rego in NT how many stolen boats are shipped up there? I also seen on one of the cop shows on tv most of the NT residents are in there 30's

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Might be time to consider national laws for boats, cars, trailers, towing ,licenses and so on.
    Absolutely Noel. National laws are well and truely overdue for many things including roads, maritime etc, and would make a lot of things easier

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I read about the no rego in NT how many stolen boats are shipped up there? I also seen on one of the cop shows on tv most of the NT residents are in there 30's
    what has this got to do with mandatory life jacket laws in WA. .
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Do the small waste type self inflatables count in these situations?
    Self inflatable jackets are getting better and better as the days tick over, but up here in the heat, not much is comfortable to wear all day.
    Cheers
    Corry

Don't know which waist jacket you mean, but most are labeled to identify what "code" they comply to.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Don't know which waist jacket you mean, but most are labeled to identify what "code" they comply to.

I doubt one of those will provide the correct floatation.

Quote Originally Posted by Corry View Post
    Do the small waste type self inflatables count in these situations?
    They're 100N rated so likely comply so far as buoyancy is concerned, but having to put it on after inflation probably doesn't meet the 'must wear' requirement for small boats. Interesting question.

72yo boater lost at sea today from a dinghy off Geraldton. Not looking good

Accidents can happen to any boat, any time - but small boats are just so much more prone to sudden rollover. This is why I support the new rules.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/dis...ng-b882041111z

Edit: RIP to old mate. Found a few hours later. Capsize was roughly 4km offshore in good weather and seas.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...ng-b882041271z

Totally different waters when u go from a river to wide open bays to open ocean, i just had a mate pick up his new tinny and he was telling how it was a beautiful day one day at bellambi when he left on a 6 meter tinny than when he returned the seas were massive a swell picked him up and his boat ended up on the bellambi rocks another wave came and he reversed off the rocks, from what i heard the whole boat tipped over on its side he was pretty shaken up another bloke on board ended up in the water

He mentioned the water at the bellambi ramp was surging and was hard to put the boat on the trailer

Open water life jackets should be mandatory australia wide no questions about it, as ET says no one has ever drowned from wearing a life jacket