Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing freshwater lakes central Queensland

Fishing freshwater lakes central Queensland

Things seem a little quiet on here at present so I thought that I would share my adventures freshwater fishing for the next three weeks. I started this annual event last year with a few days each at Lakes Somerset, Barambah, Boondooma, Wuruma, Cania, Callide, Awoonga and Monduran. Whilst the results were less than spectacular, I learnt a few lessons and improved my knowledge of the art of lure fishing for Bass and Barra. The plan now is to hopefully improve my PB Bass 46cm from Lake Somerset and Barra 90cm from Lake Monduran this time by applying this experience and will focus on four lakes. Cania and Wuruma for Bass and Callide and Monduran for Barra. Arrived at Cania this afternoon and setup camp. Will commence my quest with an early start tomorrow. Cheers SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: Fishing freshwater lakes central Queensland

Good luck, great idea.

On the water this morning around 5. 4 others punters also on the lake. Decided to look around the left bank with the onshore northerly. Saw one decent school of bass on the side scan but not interested in my Charlie Brewer plastic or my spinner. No red claw in the pots. 😣 Back to camp for coffee at 10. Plan to fish the afternoon bite time 3-5. Cheers SS

Well the 3-5 session this afternoon proved just as frustrating as the morning session. Plenty of bass schools on the Lowrance sidescan but no enquiries. The birds were actively feeding on the surface bait but the bass were not interested in spinnerbaits or vibes. I will aim for the early bite session tomorrow morning 3.30-5.30 providing the rain stays away and see how I go. If no luck then may consider a tactical change and will proceed to plan B using live shrimp on wide gape hooks. Cheers SS.

Youd think they'd be going hard at this stageof the year, but that's fishing...is this Cania?

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Youd think they'd be going hard at this stageof the year, but that's fishing...is this Cania?
    Yes, fishing Cania until Friday. Today was hard going. Scored a 26cm model this morning which was released and a 35cm keeper in the afternoon session. Other anglers reported tough fishing today. The Saratoga are active in the sticks up the top end but my preference is to target Bass for a PB (46+) if possible. Intermittent rain today and more predicted tomorrow. Should make for some interesting sessions tomorrow and Thursday. The Charlie Brewer sliders seem to be woking best for me atm. Cheers SS.

Started day 3 nice and early at 4.30am to catch the prime bite time. 2 other punters already on the ramp when I arrived, both American style bass boats. I have heard that there is a competition on the lake this weekend so these guys are getting some precomp practice. Spent the next 3 hours casting a variety of lures at designated spot locks where I had caught fish previously. Cold misty conditions should be ideal for a bass bite. Not even a touch. The photo shows the spread. In frustration I decide to change tactics to troll mode with my trusty gold C Lure barra pro on the 10lb spin rig and the golden child SMAK lure on the 15lb spin rig. C lure gets smacked within 30 metres by a 35cm specimen and golden child gets hammered by a 46cm bass within 10 minutes. 3 decent fish boated within 30 minutes. Go figure! Last hit on the 15lb rig was massive. Just managed to get the rod out of the holder and start to apply some drag and the braid literally exploded at the bail arm. Lost my old faithful C lure after 6 years fishing service😭. I am thinking it was probably a toga but will never know. That's fishing. Back to camp by 9am for some filleting. Not likely to go out this afternoon with a storm predicted. Back again tomorrow morning.😉 Cheers SS.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Great write up SS, I'd love to have an annual thing to commit to each year, something to make me take time off and go do. Comp on this weekend would explain why we were seeing a few of the 'US' style boats heading that way as we were heading north at the start of the week, was wondering where they would be going. Would be about ABT time I think.
    Enjoy the rest of your adventure, I'll look forward to following your write ups.
    Cheers
    Corry

Love those toga on surface early in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by gunna View Post
    Love those toga on surface early in the morning.
    Never caught a toga but think it would be an unforgettable experience. Started last day at Cania at 5am and decided to go full troll mode. No action until 8am when a 45cm model hit the $3 BCF lucky dip special lure. No other enquiries for the session so I decided to call it a day at 9am after 3hour 35min troll. My camp fisho neighbour from Bundaberg managed 4 fish over a 7 hour session, all on the troll. I might consider an evening session if this wind drops. Otherwise off to Callide tomorrow to chance my luck with the barra. Will rebook Cania for March next year. Still need to better my PB at 46cm. The serious Bass comp boys have started to arrive this afternoon so my que to leave. Can imagine the single lane ramp will be busy tomorrow. 😜😜😜 Cheers SS.

Well day 5 was a bit of a fizzer. Up early to decamp and drenched by a short sharp thunderstorm. Managed to get things dry enough to head up the road 90k to Biloela for a coffee and then to Callide. Another thunderstorm hit just when setting up camp. The joys of the great Australian outdoors! Eventually got the boat setup for a short late afternoon session 4-6. No enquiries on the trolled lures and lost one new Zerek swimbait to a snag.😢 Hopefully better luck tomorrow. Cheers SS.

No good news to report today. Started the morning session at 5am and trolled the lake until 8am with no hits. Found some barra on the sidescan among the sticks and spent the last hour flicking lures, both Zerek shads and Jackall Squirrels without success. Back on the lake at 3.30pm for the avro session and trolled the classic lures back to the morning spot. Spent the next 2 hours flicking the same lures without any takers. No action noted on any of the other 6 boats on the lake after sunset. Back home by 9pm. My donut record at Callide remains intact as we leave for Monduran tomorrow. Cheers SS.

Good luck at Monduran, the lake of a thousand casts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Good luck at Monduran, the lake of a thousand casts.
    Yes Sheik, lake is well named. Apparently the barra have fired up of late so hoping this will continue through the full moon lunar phase. Neighbour landed a 90cm specimen this morning. Heavy thunderstorm passing over the lake at present so most boats are in the campground. Hopefully I can get back out later this afternoon early evening. Cheers SS.

End of day 8 went well. Morning session ended early when the thunderstorm approached from the Northwest. Home early to sit out the lightning and thunder show. Back on the lake at 4pm. Finally broke my donut with a 91cm barra, a new PB!!. Caught on the ever reliable classic lure on the troll in the basin. Coincidentally all 8 barra caught by my son and myself have been on the troll around sunset. Temperatures have cooled and air pressure has dropped so the barra are unlikely to fire tomorrow. Photos tell the story. Cheers SS