Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fishing freshwater lakes central Queensland

Re: Fishing freshwater lakes central Queensland

Great advice from Chris. I would say also spend a morning or afternoon with a guide Jase Wilhelm took Boobies and Stuffer out a few years back and changed our perceptions about how to fish Awoonga. Incidentally Chris, we were at Awoonga when Bushy was there with his mate Slick, and they were trialling the Stiffy, staying at the motel in Benaraby and he was testing it out in the pool as well as in the dam. Interesting. I could also say I was the first person to ever catch a bara in Awoonga on a soft plastic, went out with Andrew and ken from hatchery when they were still doing research. Amazing place Awooonga.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik View Post
    Great advice from Chris. I would say also spend a morning or afternoon with a guide Jase Wilhelm took Boobies and Stuffer out a few years back and changed our perceptions about how to fish Awoonga. Incidentally Chris, we were at Awoonga when Bushy was there with his mate Slick, and they were trialling the Stiffy, staying at the motel in Benaraby and he was testing it out in the pool as well as in the dam. Interesting. I could also say I was the first person to ever catch a bara in Awoonga on a soft plastic, went out with Andrew and ken from hatchery when they were still doing research. Amazing place Awooonga.
    Totally agree on the guide thing

I was lucky enough to become mates with a former member here (barra guru) , the late Trevor Burgess aka Awoonga. I met him at Mondy & he invited us to Lake Awoonga for a few days fishing - What I was taught & learned put me in good stead for every trip after . Over the subsequent years we fished together a fair bit & more of the puzzle came together ...... but it still goes back to the basic theme that he would harp on .

"Wind is your're friend ......... 50% of the time" Loved it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Just a quick note to wrap up this post. AusFish members will recall that I was planning to fish Callide and Wuruma after Monduran in October but had to cut this trip short due to wife's illness and return home early. Finally made it back to Callide this week for a few pre Christmas sessions. My only joy was to land a 79cm model on a trolled hard body lure early on the first day. Well at least the monkey is off my back at Callide. Hoping to return in March when the crowds have left to resume my quest for a one metre barra. Spoke with local guru Steve Laughton who owns Callide Retreat and he assures me it only a matter of time. He also gave me some great technique tips to apply next time. Cheers SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images