Thread: offroad camper or caravan

Question offroad camper or caravan

I am toying with the idea of towing some accommodation for my WA trip next year.

I don't really want to do the van / camper thing,,, but I want to at least do the sums and pros V cons.

So far I like the Jayco Freedoms. twin beds, pop top, light weight.

Down side is they are not an off-roader. Having said that, some upgraded suspension and tyre sizes should make it more " adaptable " ?

That depends on chassis of course.

Has anyone taken a road van , off road and what did you find ?

Don't think a camper trailer will cut the mustard, as I would like the opportunity to have air con.

Any thoughts, ideas ???????????????

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: offroad camper or caravan

Phil. We could take a lot of pages to discuss the pros and cons. There are a number of things you will need to do to just about any brand to avoid damage from rocks and gravel. I saw a couple busted Jayco’s on the Gibb River Rd. Hadn’t been driven to conditions. Can I suggest you have a chat with the good people over here

https://www.caravanersforum.com/

regarding the requirements of off road vans.

offroad camper or caravan

Plenty of people I’ve met do the cape and the Kimberley in vans , some get wrecked but most seem to survive. Tyre pressures and speed are the biggest things to get right , I’ve seen a couple of real heaps of garbage come back in ok condition and I’ve also seen a off-road lotus with cupboards and fridge all over the van after coming back down the battle camp road . Some of the best I’ve seen are pop top campers with off road suspension like the XTC and the like ,they seem to handle it ok but like I said I’ve seen some ordinary old Jaycos survive the ordeal . Matt
    Something like these are popular ,small , manoeuvrability and all the luxurious https://www.marketdirect.com.au/?gcl...xoCx3QQAvD_BwE
    There are a few options in the second hand market but do some research as to where they are made as some of the cheap versions have suspension issues that aren’t easily fixed on the road . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Phill, are you going in tandem with a second car? How are you towing the boat?
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Phill, are you going in tandem with a second car? How are you towing the boat?

Well............................ no boat going, and no tandem car.

I tried all family etc, but no one will commit.

I will be utilizing the charter / guide system of fishing in some places.

Just thinking that I'll ( we will ) be staying at some locations for a couple of days, and it may be worthwhile towing accom.

Probably throw a pushie or two on the top

LP

Hire / buy a campervan & take the boat

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Well............................ no boat going, and no tandem car.

I tried all family etc, but no one will commit.

I will be utilizing the charter / guide system of fishing in some places.

Just thinking that I'll ( we will ) be staying at some locations for a couple of days, and it may be worthwhile towing accom.

Probably throw a pushie or two on the top

LP

Hi Phil

Another option you may wish to consider is the slide on camper concept. This way you can carry your accommodation and tow your tinnie at the same time. Our Tray Tek camper has a dry weight of 720kg and fully loaded with 2 adults, 130L fuel, 110L water and food in freezer and fridge comes in at 3.44 tonnes, which puts the vehicle just under our maximum legal GVM of 3.5 tonnes with a Pedders suspension upgrade and airbags. Our boat trailer has a tow ball weight of 64kg. Although I have not taken the boat off-road to date.

We can set up and break camp in 5-10 minutes and go places no caravan would dare venture. Some examples of our travels to date over rocky tracks and the odd river crossing, overland telegraph track, central Arnhem road, Darling river and Birdsville track. We are planning a trip to the Kimberley next May and may well see you on the Gibb river road. Cheers SS.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks seastrength, but...............

I have a fully kitted out Colorado, full kitchen, shower, stove, pantry, RTT, stretcher tent and so much more. I took it to cape york at the beginning of this year. And towed the little tinnie behind.

Quick video here :- http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...-York-May-2021

I am doing this differently and fishing is not a priority.... strange yes ...........

The thought revolved around staying for a few days in one location, and not having to unpack and repack the RTT etc if taking the car. Having a base ... accom... seems better.

LP
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 06-10-2021 at 09:00 PM.

Top video Phil. Brings back memories of our trip in 2016. Cheers SS

After much adoo, I have done it.

Bought a new Austrack Savanah -X

Delivery date... late January.........

So much research, physical going over's and more to decide that a pop up was not for me. Hence the camper.

pro's..

cook outside. 3 minute set up for a quick over night stay, low profile, off grid capability for indefinite stay, 2 big beds, electric brakes with independent suspension and so much more.

con's.....

no air con and I have to install a Brake Controller.

Attached are some photos...... don't have a photo of the 2021 model....

Went with new for the 5 year warranty..

cheers LP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yep that’s the go mate a bit of comfort and you can take it everywhere,great choice .
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

And I reckon you could set her up for a tinnie on top too 😂
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Top choice Phil. Very smick outfit. Should be very comfortable. SS

Keeps the crocs out too.