Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coastguard vs VMR

Coastguard vs VMR

Well it's time for renewing memberships again. Although I've been with VMRJW for a number of years now, I'm thinking of changing to CG. A few questions are still unclear - who's reciprocal of who and how far afield does the service go. I frequent offshore the pin area, but travel as far as Yeppoon, 1770 and Mooloolaba. For those that fish these areas, what are your thoughts?

Re: Coastguard vs VMR

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    Well it's time for renewing memberships again. Although I've been with VMRJW for a number of years now, I'm thinking of changing to CG. A few questions are still unclear - who's reciprocal of who and how far afield does the service go. I frequent offshore the pin area, but travel as far as Yeppoon, 1770 and Mooloolaba. For those that fish these areas, what are your thoughts?
    You will need to check with each organisation as to reciprocal rights. I know that Caloundra CG and Mooloolaba CG now have reciprocal rights but it wouldn't extend as far north as 1770. They also vary on extent of travel before a charge is applied so once again you'll have to ring around.

But this can all change as the state govt was looking at combining both organisations and bringing in some major changes as unfortunately each fleet within each organisation operates separately and some of them are run by THE select few. I don't know where this went so maybe I will start checking to see if it has stalled or still being given the mirror treatment.

We had a similar situation, 2 organisations, and the merge was painful and a very long process, neither wanted to be "taken over" and both had bitter feuds before the dust settled, but the end result is much better.

Ausfish Platinum Member

Not sure where you're from Noelm, but if you're talking NSW, yep, their set up is awesome. I'm not familiar with the path it took to get there, but after living down there for the last 5 years (sorry, but thankfully I'm back up in the North) the ability to fish in multiple areas with the safety of knowing someone is there should you need them, is perfect.
    I know that up here I need to be a member of a number of VMR's as we fish anywhere from Cooktown to Whitsundays, this is a pain in the ass to keep track of, not to mention the cost. When we fished far south coast NSW, was easily done.
    Cheers
    Corry

I know it's kind of off topic to the original question, but, a unified rescue organisation is the ultimate end result, how you get there is anyone's guess, but, having to "join" different locations when visiting is a pain, you should be able to just operate on a reciprocal basis, makes life easier for all concerned.

All Qld VMR and CG need to merge.

Every new boat sold and second hand boat sold by a dealer, should come with waterside assist ( membership ), same as RACQ etc/

Every registration email to a boat owner, should come with an application membership form.

This form could be accompanied by a 5% discount on registration if the membership is taken up.

Membership should also attract a discount of insurance of the vessel.

Anybody that has sort rescue / assistance twice in a 12 month period, must take out compulsory membership. Or, make rescue costs payment compulsory and enforceable by SPURS.

There are about 280,000 recreational vessels registered in Queensland. If only half were used in marine environs and membership is only $55.......... that's well over 7 million dollars being pumped into the service. Annually.

That divided up by a total of 46 squadrons / flotillas equals $167,400.00 each / year. That'll save a lot of chook raffles ?

This number extrapolates hugely if the fee was $70 and boat numbers were actually 200,000.

A merger will not happen unless public pressure becomes so great, they have no choice.

The pressure needs to be applied at State Government Minister levels.

LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

It's very difficult, no one will think of it as a "merge" it will be a take over, swords will be drawn and the stand off will begin, but in time, with hundreds of meetings and squabbles, it will benefit all concerned, boaters, volunteers, paid people, the whole box and dice will prosper....best of luck!

I'm afraid that is out of my hands Phill.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    All Qld VMR and CG need to merge.

Every new boat sold and second hand boat sold by a dealer, should come with waterside assist ( membership ), same as RACQ etc/

Every registration email to a boat owner, should come with an application membership form.

This form could be accompanied by a 5% discount on registration if the membership is taken up.

Membership should also attract a discount of insurance of the vessel.

Anybody that has sort rescue / assistance twice in a 12 month period, must take out compulsory membership. Or, make rescue costs payment compulsory and enforceable by SPURS.

There are about 280,000 recreational vessels registered in Queensland. If only half were used in marine environs and membership is only $55.......... that's well over 7 million dollars being pumped into the service. Annually.

That divided up by a total of 46 squadrons / flotillas equals $167,400.00 each / year. That'll save a lot of chook raffles ?

This number extrapolates hugely if the fee was $70 and boat numbers were actually 200,000.

A merger will not happen unless public pressure becomes so great, they have no choice.

The pressure needs to be applied at State Government Minister levels.

LP

Quote Originally Posted by wags on the water View Post
    I'm afraid that is out of my hands Phill.
    Maybe somebody needs to start a petition to move this on. I have no idea how to do it other than talk to my local member. I will hopefully see him late in Oct and will raise the question with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Maybe somebody needs to start a petition to move this on. I have no idea how to do it other than talk to my local member. I will hopefully see him late in Oct and will raise the question with him.
    It is fairly straight forward. It does use up some personal time.

The petition. Identify the change you want. No need to give reasons. Online ones work a treat, as do physical ones. The hard copies need to be placed at BCF's, Boating & RV's, Whitworths, marine shows, marine dealers, RTM, Tackle stores,

You must get people on board like Sunfish, fishing clubs, internet based groups like Red Emperor Fishing Australia, Ausfish, CQ Fishing, NQ Fishing, Sammy Hitzkie ?, AFN, and so many more. That list would be over 100. Further places of action are Fishing magazines.

Then the time part is to attend boat ramps with hard copy petition. Also make a simple 2 - 3 minute Youtube video outlining the advantages / reasons for change. And a TikTok one.

Then we / someone within every state electoral boundary submit a statement on behalf of their friends and relatives to their MP. ( and the opposition MP , notifying the sitting member you have done this ) Along with the petition subject. At this point you provide reasons for the change and possible ways to implement the change and the advantages of such a change to not only the boating public and the rescue services but also the government. It must be pointed out rescue services are first responders and are also called upon by the government ( Water Police ) to participate and co-ordinate rescues.

It is simply a people power thing. 280,000 vessels. You get 100,000 signatures and it will happen. 280,000 vessels can extrapolate to 500,000 actual people that use the vessels as deckies etc.

You also need to lobby MSQ as they are the primary marine state government department.

Get enough traction and mainstream media will pick it up.

I could waffle on for hours on how to get this done, but it really does need a core group of at least 6 people to dedicate one hour per week to making it happen. It those 6 people could dedicate 30 minutes per day, change will happen faster.

LP

Not that it makes a huge difference to QLD, but here the only way to "merge" was with a complete name change, it was decided to kind of standardise with QLD, but instead of VMR (voluntary marine rescue) the simple name "Marine Rescue" was adopted, so in a funny kind of way, no one was taken over. Rescue organisations in lakes and rivers kind of missed out, because they are not marine as such, not too sure how that bit panned out, but I will see what I can dig up.

While I'm all for the organisations becoming one - I think we are going off topic. Can we stick to the original post please?

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Not that it makes a huge difference to QLD, but here the only way to "merge" was with a complete name change, it was decided to kind of standardise with QLD, but instead of VMR (voluntary marine rescue) the simple name "Marine Rescue" was adopted, so in a funny kind of way, no one was taken over. Rescue organisations in lakes and rivers kind of missed out, because they are not marine as such, not too sure how that bit panned out, but I will see what I can dig up.

OK, I'll get back in my box......

Two thoughts,

take out memberships in the areas you fish / head offshore. Could be up to $200 / year ?

Or, don't and just hope to not have issues and if you do, just pay the rescue invoice.

Membership is like insurance, you pay it hoping never having to use it.

Is there a private waterside assist that covers the areas you fish ?

LP

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    OK, I'll get back in my box......
    Nah just go sit on the fence where you like it, mate..

It actually sounds like no one knows what the hell is going on..got this in the mail a few weeks back..

20210926_135650 (1).jpg

If you could trust the state government to use it wisely maybe a surcharge on boat rego to cover the "marine assist" organisation would work ...it should wok out cheaper as every boatie would be contributing rather then just a percentage as happens now..

I imagine there will be some pushback from the old school volunteers in some of my smaller local vmr's to have a standardized statewide coastguard organisation...

Like how much can you expect from a few old blokes that volunteer their time to help out on weekends..?

The old geezers here dont do trip sheets/log ins, they dont do computer or email stuff and names of members are just kept on rollerdex so its all a bit hard to know even if you are still a member or not...

I'm just happy they are prepared to drive out and tow me home if I break down..
    Attached Images Attached Images