Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: I would love to take this on, Big Huntsman

I would love to take this on, Big Huntsman

Appears to be a trailerable cruiser a huntsman possibly 24ft?

I sadly dont have the cash atm bugger, what a beast

7 stringers i done 7 stringers in my V19 this thing would be a piece of cake and take that out dated cabin off and totally remodel a new cabin

Re: I would love to take this on, Big Huntsman

The trouble with big boats like that is, it becomes such a task to find a crew, hook up, tow, fuel up, launch and so on, that it's too much trouble, most just sit in driveways because it's all too hard, I have mates with boats like that, and most only get used a couple of times a year.

Yeah i never thought of all that, could the launching and retrieve be simplified with a drive on trailer? My 19fter looks a piece of cake to handle but i do have lots of experience with 15-16ft boats this huntsman looks massive in comparason

Towing would cost a bit of money i'd imagine that boat would be 3+ ton it would make anice offshore boat tho

There’s a reason these things sit in people’s back yards
    pre Covid 30-40 grand got you a nice 17 foot tournament or similar boat
    You can do almost everything these big old things did and tow with a ute and cheap on fuel
    and relatively safely

you don’t see many people in trouble with properly sorted boats and awareness of the ocean

decent electronics outriggers electric reels you can do anything with them

When i fish i often fish outside in big seas Steve 4 meter swell doesnt stop us yes its harder ro fish bottom bashing but easily doable its the chop that gets ya on top of the swell, say4 meter swell with .9m chop on top from a 50-60kph gust than it starts becoming unsafe in a 17ft quintrex, a 24ft cruiser like this one pictured would handle that 4m+ .9 chop quiet easily and you'll make it back safely its probably got double or tripple the hulls depth than a 17ft boat

Bigger, heavier, longer, wider much more favorable out in the rough meaning u can fish those days u cant in a 17ft boat you can fish longer too so once the wind picks up at 11am u can stay out all day

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    When i fish i often fish outside in big seas Steve 4 meter swell doesnt stop us yes its harder ro fish bottom bashing but easily doable its the chop that gets ya on top of the swell, say4 meter swell with .9m chop on top from a 50-60kph gust than it starts becoming unsafe in a 17ft quintrex, a 24ft cruiser like this one pictured would handle that 4m+ .9 chop quiet easily and you'll make it back safely its probably got double or tripple the hulls depth than a 17ft boat

Bigger, heavier, longer, wider much more favorable out in the rough meaning u can fish those days u cant in a 17ft boat you can fish longer too so once the wind picks up at 11am u can stay out all day
    i don’t know many who fish in a 4m swell and a meter of wave height on top of that

your ignoring the point yes a big boat is nice but you don’t need it
    and you don’t need 200-300l of fuel for a days trolling and a massive tow vehicle to legally tow it
    look at the dramas your having just trying to get a empty hull up a driveway

that huntsman would suck in 50k easily to be a decent boat

200-300 litres fuel is quiet excessive say a 250hp goes on the back or even 2x 115hp modern but not new four strokes surely that wouldnt use 300L of fuel? That is probably around $450 if that werre the case i could probably take it out once a month

My current situation doesn't allow for anywhere to park it, but towing wise is pretty achievable a old jeep v8 can tow 3300kg and old ugly land rover can tow 4000kg ultametly a nice landcruise or a prado could tow it

My current boat and car is only difficult because of where i live i have a massive family i could persway to park a big boat at someones house for a few bob

Maybe i'm being optimistic in my figures my previous boats u just chuck $50 in it for fuel and go fish the bay or off port hacking so i think i'll get a better visual once the V19 hits the water for a day out wide

Hopping the 90hp gets atlease 1.3-1.5km L at wot

I have a mate who had a 25ft Bertram ...... he thought it would be his ultimate boat - well most of it's life during his ownership was on swing mooring in middle harbour . It was expensive to run & it was actually a horrible boat to fish off ...... very rolly & a sea sick magnet .
    Underway - it was OK .
    After around 5 years - he got rid of it after blowing a motor ..... & going through what was a pain in the ass of getting if fixed .

Most of his time of ownership involved driving down to the boat & sleeping on it / fishing off it ... whilst never leaving the mooring .

I've come to the conclusion that you either have a true trailer-able boat or one that is moored .....

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah im hearing u guys a boat that size would only fit out on the main road parked up i don't think i could afford a yearly mooring plus cost to get her antifould each year plus i just wouldn't have much motivation not seeing the boat daily

Being parked outside brings its negatives, once its rebuilt and looking like a modern high end boat someone would knock it off for sure i live on apretty busy road so hundreds of people would see it everyday possibly pinch expensive tarps and whatever else is in the hull plywood would be a thing for people to knock off

With a modern hardtop cabin, and a modern used 250hp 4 stroke on the back thiefs would have there eyes lighting up with dollar signs

Recently there was a bloke on the south coast nsw who done a v17 full restore and his boat got knocked off 2 weeks after it was finished, just a few days ago i seen on fb another guy had his bayliner bowrider flogged in Sydney

Theft would be a big risk if i took on a hull like this

I'll let u guys in on that Formula 233 i was looking at in the USA i'll likely never have 15k to clear the import cost, if it was more 8k that i was quoted i'd seriously consider it but the extra fees i unsceen would blowout the budget if it ended at 15k

Last i spoke with the guy it was still available for USD$500

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...ject-sale.html

I just read on a fb group the guys are getting 4.8kms to 3.8L of fuel on a F233 with a new 300hp Yamaha

Most of you guys wouldnt even piss on it for 15k landed but it has great potentioal already cleaned out/demo'ed a quick turn around time with a basic layout with nothing fancy

New stringers, floor, transom, and a outboard plus apaintjob it would be a nice 80k boat
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yeah, you don't need a boat to go fishin

Sent from my CPH1715 using Ausfish mobile app

Take that 15k and find a 23/24 shark cat that needs doing. Will shit all over that 233.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Found a Huntsman 23ft just 1.5 hours north for a few bob actually its a dead set bargain but the trailer is unregoed cant park it on the street and to big to get it up the driveway, i read on a ausfish post they measure 2.5m and empty hull weighs 1500kg also read a hull + trailer + outboard will weigh around 2300-2500kg my old ford will be rated to 2300kg with the new towbar hmmm would the old for tow it?