Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: I would love to take this on, Big Huntsman

Re: I would love to take this on, Big Huntsman

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    No. Im just going to cast my lures across the lawn, maybe snag a stick fish in the bush
    Gaz I reckon you should start making high quality lures, you know the drill, spend a s**t ton of cash on tooling up and punch out a high end product

I am going to hold off untill i get a 23 footer its ambishious it will cost a bit of and its going to be a big job

I can either tow it with a 2ton hire truck or buy a cheap shitter like a dyna truck just for towing

I like that huntsman 23 i posted the pic of but its a couple hours up the coast
    Mate - do you actually know what you want ?

I seriously feel that you need to work out what floats your boat - before you dive in to some other project . I reckon most here feel sorry for you ..... it's like watching a train wreck that you cant look away from.

why don't you tell us all what you want a boat for ? ....... what do you want to do with it ? - I'm sure we can help you save a lot of money & steer you in the right direction . You just need to come to the realisation that if you don't have the money - you need to get your priorities right

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

No. Im just going to cast my lures across the lawn, maybe snag a stick fish in the bush
    I took the fam out boating on the weekend. Caught a cat.

WhatsApp_Image_2021-09-11_at_12.47.25_PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mate - do you actually know what you want ?

I seriously feel that you need to work out what floats your boat - before you dive in to some other project . I reckon most here feel sorry for you ..... it's like watching a train wreck that you cant look away from.

Chris
    Thats pretty much it in a nutshell Chris.

TheGurn that is not true with boats either u spend 10's of thousands on a rebuilt boat or u spend 10's of thousands on rebuilding a boat you never get a good boat for next to nothing

Im just lucky my V19 has only cost about 12-13k and not 30k because i done the work
    But you're not happy with it without even wetting it's arse? Money well spent?
    Sell it to do up another bigger boat? Bigger truck? Bigger parking space?

I think the idea of rebuilding boats rather than the enjoyment of using them is your motivation. If so, keep at it. No drama there. Guys do the same with cars all the time.
    Just some who like being on the water see it as frustrating from their perspective. Myself included. Again.... all the best.
    Over & out.

Guys my boat will get used but i still need to have something to do when im not fishing something to keep me busy at home knitting is not an option, there is only so much i can do to the boat now and shes done, sillicone engine bolts, install fuel tank, glass fuel tank cover and install it, finish t top finish seat base, besides electronics shes finished

Ausfish Platinum Member

Ran, found your post you mention the 23 being 3.5t with a 300 yamaha that is quiet alot of weight, from what i researched guys were saying the bare hulls were 1500kg and should come in at 2.5t boat, trailer and a single outboard

The one i found has had the top taking off and inboard removed, i keep reading they are a heavy hull tho

My ford has the same v8 as say a late 1980's 1990's era F150-F250 its a Windsor 302 v8 just to clarify its not a 6 cylinder
    Well, I have a mate with a late 2300 with a 300 yamaha, and it is legal behind his cruiser, but north of 3 tonne. And the bare hull weight on those is quoted as 1500kg This "bare hull weight" business can be very misleading, there is no standard to compare it to. For example, my Reefrunner is quoted as 1050kg dry hull weight. With a 150 Merc 4 stroke, a bit of fishing gear ( no eskies full of ice, for example), and the 220 l tank half full, it weighs 2550 kg on the weighbridge. So I can't see a boat which is meant to weigh another half tonne more coming in under 3 tonne, particularly with a heavier motor and bigger fuel tank.
    I've seen people tie themselves into knots over this, when they add up the supposed " bare hull weight" supplied by the manufacturer, the (dry) weight of the motor, quoted weight of trailer, chuck in a bit for batteries, then wonder why it weighs a half tonne more than it " should" . Everything weighs something, and it adds up.

pppppppppppppppp

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Well, I have a mate with a late 2300 with a 300 yamaha, and it is legal behind his cruiser, but north of 3 tonne. And the bare hull weight on those is quoted as 1500kg This "bare hull weight" business can be very misleading, there is no standard to compare it to. For example, my Reefrunner is quoted as 1050kg dry hull weight. With a 150 Merc 4 stroke, a bit of fishing gear ( no eskies full of ice, for example), and the 220 l tank half full, it weighs 2550 kg on the weighbridge. So I can't see a boat which is meant to weigh another half tonne more coming in under 3 tonne, particularly with a heavier motor and bigger fuel tank.
    I've seen people tie themselves into knots over this, when they add up the supposed " bare hull weight" supplied by the manufacturer, the (dry) weight of the motor, quoted weight of trailer, chuck in a bit for batteries, then wonder why it weighs a half tonne more than it " should" . Everything weighs something, and it adds up.
    Yeah i think im going to see that when i take the V19 over the weigh bridge B/M/T it should be around that 1300kg but i suspect it may be around 1700+, me and my cousins and mates dont take much along with us as we are use to fishing from small-medium trailer boats and the more we take it just clutters the floor

I'll be happy with 2 rods pp, an esky 1-2 bags of ice, 1-2 batteries, a couple 7-9inch fish finders/gps and a bait tank thats all that will be going in the V19 and some fishing tackle for where ever we plan to fish that particular day

Fuel will be 60 litres or possibly 130 litres if i upgrade

From a vintage info spread sheet my hull weighed 800kg my engine weighs 182kg dry + oil 5kg + trailer? 400kg =1382kg

Browsing facebook USA... dear lord!!

Yeah i think im going to see that when i take the V19 over the weigh bridge B/M/T it should be around that 1300kg but i suspect it may be around 1700+, me and my cousins and mates dont take much along with us as we are use to fishing from small-medium trailer boats and the more we take it just clutters the floor

I'll be happy with 2 rods pp, an esky 1-2 bags of ice, 1-2 batteries, a couple 7-9inch fish finders/gps and a bait tank thats all that will be going in the V19 and some fishing tackle for where ever we plan to fish that particular day

Fuel will be 60 litres or possibly 130 litres if i upgrade

From a vintage info spread sheet my hull weighed 800kg my engine weighs 182kg dry + oil 5kg + trailer? 400kg =1382kg
    Good luck on on your weights Gaz - I reckon you will be in for a bit of a shock when you get the boat on a weigh bridge ........ but keep in mind you need to weigh the boat as it will be towed & used . ..... or close to it. ..... so your spare tyre needs to be included boat fueled (if you dont know the fuel load) .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Back to the tow vehicle ..... what is the GVM ?
    How many people will be on these trips - 2 / 3 ...... that all has to be included .

One of the issues that you will find is that the car will likely struggle pulling that boat out of a boat ramp - particularly at low tide. Actually I'd bet on it.

I think back to my early days of boating where most people I knew including myself towed their boats with a myriad of family sedans ....... I dont know how many times we have had to use the boats motor or have guys stand on the draw bar to get enough traction for these V8s to pull the boat out . We weren't necessarily talking about big boats either ... 15-18 foot glass boats like Nautiglass V150 , Pride Albatross & V Sea . Hell I even had issues with my first boat (535 Quintrex reef raider) being towed by a V8 commodore ... getting it out at Rose Bay & South West Rocks ..... & that's a tinny.

Anyhow Gaz - if you hadn't thought about that aspect of towing .... trust me , you should.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah i never took into consideration rear wheel drive and slippery ramps with a 23ft boat that is the reason i built my v19 trailer extra long

I guess if i got a 23ft boat like the huntsman or f233 i would have to reconsider my tow vehicle, my ford has 400n.m of torque a moden 4x4 has about 450n.m so the old for has the torque just the rear wheel drive will be a problem along with the soft susspension on my ford

I could get a 00 era prado to tow with but yeah im a bit off from buying a 15k f233 and a prado i'd be looking at low 20k

That huntsman was only $2500 so it quiet peeked my interest

When i first got my full license i bought this massive Swift Craft i didnt know anything about tow limits of vehicles or towbar max tow limits, me and my cousin found a Swift Craft Sportsman 600 i was told it wss a 18ft boat but i just checked and it was a 20ft boat i towed it with a VR V6 commodore (lexcen) and it towed alright even with 5 people in the car but it was likely illegal

Same boat as this
    Attached Images Attached Images