Classifieds

Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Red Emperor No take

  1. #1

    Red Emperor No take

    Anyone heard this rumour of Red Emperor being conidered as going on the NO take list ??...

  2. #2

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Quote Originally Posted by Volvo View Post
    Anyone heard this rumour of Red Emperor being conidered as going on the NO take list ??...
    Surely your joking
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......


  3. #3
    Ausfish Addict disorderly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In the Jungle

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Dont think so Volvo...the juveniles are in plague proportion inshore and on the reef flats..we have never caught so many small ones as bycatch in 20 years...

    Not sure what the situation in CQ and Fraser island areas are but its been a shocking year windwise up here in FNQ so no need to mess with bag limits right now...

  4. #4

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Wouldnít surprise me. They can pretty much plug any fish into their biomass models now and come up with less than 30% of virgin and start more restrictions. Literally any species. One by one they will all fall.

    I wish I could create some sort of model that guaranteed myself a job like that.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  5. #5

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Quote Originally Posted by bluefin59 View Post
    Surely your joking
    Fingers Crossed the person told me was !!..

  6. #6

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    One good thing is if they do go ahead with a no take for Spanish and Red emperor ..... it will not be like the last electrol landslide, I suspect the whole cabinet wuld fit in an uber not a mini bus.

    BigE

  7. #7

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    There has been no mention of this via Fisheries Queensland. The only species on their radar is Spanish Mackerel.

    Red Emperor are included in the seasonal CRFF closure... this year

    3 October 2021 to 7 October 2021
    2 November 2021 to 6 November 2021

    https://www.daf.qld.gov.au/business-...s/tidal-waters


    LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

    For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here





  8. #8

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    I seem to remember there was no real talk about Pearlies via Fisheries qld through all the RRFF reviews. But bring in this new biomas modelling and all of a sudden Pearlies are at critical levels.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  9. #9

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Memory is fallible Lovey80

    Pearlies have been on the in trouble list since at least 2010. Makes sense that they would be taking a hit along with snapper. Where has all the rocky reef fishery effort shifted since then? Wider, deeper and norther (Rainbow, Fraser, Hervey Bay, Bundy, 1770 etc) to chase ooglies, reefies and pelagics.

    Google serial depletion and tell me that SE Qld is not the perfect candidate for it!

    Andrew

  10. #10

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_P View Post
    Memory is fallible Lovey80

    Pearlies have been on the in trouble list since at least 2010. Makes sense that they would be taking a hit along with snapper. Where has all the rocky reef fishery effort shifted since then? Wider, deeper and norther (Rainbow, Fraser, Hervey Bay, Bundy, 1770 etc) to chase ooglies, reefies and pelagics.

    Google serial depletion and tell me that SE Qld is not the perfect candidate for it!

    Andrew
    At the time, we were being told that none of the three main species were at threat of collapse (Snapper/Pearlies/Trag). All the talk was around Snapper. Many of the recs also argued about serial depletion. But the models focused heavily on Gold Coast charter operator data. When that data was put through the models it showed heavy depletion. Many factors would leave people to believe that was a localised issue. When the commercial data was fed into the same model, it showed that the stock was stable. What did they do? Declared the commercial model result as "Hyper-Stable", disregarded it and put the commercial data through a different model to get the result they were looking for.

    I'm happy to concede that these species are overfished in localised areas like the Gold Coast and In-shore Moreton Bay and localised measures are needed to address this. But the whole stock is treated as one. So if you are fishing the Sunshine Coast, The hards, Rainbow, 1770 etc, you are getting that stock 'managed' like the depleted areas of MB and the Gold Coast where the majority of the effort is concentrated.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  11. #11

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    So regional management by species is the answer? Then stock assessments would have to be based on even more granulated data than they are already, which blows out confidence in estimates even more, which is the thing we are all grappling with (having a range of estimates and trying to explain which is most likely). Then try to estimate movements of fish between regions and you have one almighty cluster! Itís not achievable.

    I understand if you think snapper and pearlies are not overfished outside Moreton Bay and the Gold Coast. Thatís fine. All of the estimates of the latest models include more recent years data from all sectors and regions and paint a more concerning picture than those that came before. On a purely qualitative level, do you think that the Qld snapper stock, as a whole, is doing well? With all of the evidence I am aware of - I donít. But I may be wrong!

  12. #12

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    I think outside of Moreton Bay and the GC that Snapper Stock (and Pearlies) are doing better than before the previous size/bag restrictions back when it dropped to 5x35cm. A lot more fish were coming through in that 40-50 bracket. That measure worked and I think the stock was starting to grow. It such a slow growing species it was always going to take time.

    I guess my point though was, data from serial depleted areas made up the bulk of the stock assessment. The whole fishery was then treated as it was the same as those depleted areas. If youíre going to do that, I think itís only fair that area specific management measures are used.

    if youíre not willing to do any of those things, you need to tell the government that you really have no idea about the stock status and the only way to do so is to implement a comprehensive take recording mechanism so that recreational harvest is closely known. They estimate that Recs are the lions share of the take but extrapolate that out from a few boat ramp surveys. Itís a farce.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  13. #13

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    This comes up all the time, the big issue is nearly all rec fishermen will not provide information, they are either paranoid about how the info will be used or just can't be bothered, add to that rec fishermen are widespread, and their catch is taken home to eat, there is no proof of take like pros have through the fish market system (of course there can be a black market (from both parties) that side steps this) I have said this before, I think stocks are "kind of" OK, as in (say) over a weekend, recs catch 500 Snapper (this number is just an example) but, 30 years ago, only 50 recs fished, catching 10 each, but now, because of population increase, more boats and so on, there is 500 recs fishing, still catching 500 Snapper over a weekend, but it's now spread out to average 1 per boat, creating the impression that the place is "fished out".
    All that said, I am not naive enough to think that getting a feed of fish is as easy as it was decades ago, but, it's not as clear cut as it first seems, everyone hates pros and want them banned from anywhere near their "local", it's very complicated to get a handle on it all.

  14. #14

    Re: Red Emperor No take

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    This comes up all the time, the big issue is nearly all rec fishermen will not provide information, they are either paranoid about how the info will be used or just can't be bothered, add to that rec fishermen are widespread, and their catch is taken home to eat, there is no proof of take like pros have through the fish market system (of course there can be a black market (from both parties) that side steps this) I have said this before, I think stocks are "kind of" OK, as in (say) over a weekend, recs catch 500 Snapper (this number is just an example) but, 30 years ago, only 50 recs fished, catching 10 each, but now, because of population increase, more boats and so on, there is 500 recs fishing, still catching 500 Snapper over a weekend, but it's now spread out to average 1 per boat, creating the impression that the place is "fished out".
    All that said, I am not naive enough to think that getting a feed of fish is as easy as it was decades ago, but, it's not as clear cut as it first seems, everyone hates pros and want them banned from anywhere near their "local", it's very complicated to get a handle on it all.
    Aaaahh and it will be dream time for us also in the near future Noel , remebering of time gone by when one would just wait along their breakwall till the Gull started diving and swooping and all one had to do was toss out a fillet of yakka unwaeighted just a smidgeon out in among the Rocks and pull up Stonka Bream , Tailor , Trag or Hairtail ..Who remembers that Fish?? meter or so long shiny as your Moms Silver teapot under that Cosey lol..
    Flloat out some fresh whole Prawns off the MM Rockheadland for Stonka Snapper.
    Or After arvo shift up this way take a run out to the Shoals and drift till you picked up a coupla Sweeties and then drop the pick and non stop sweety time , Offcourse not to mentipon the trout come daybreak if one was overnighting the Shoals..
    Aaaand we shall not mention Reds or Pearlies or large Mouth Nannys will we ??..
    Or Barrummundie Cod if anyone can remember what they tasted like ........
    So we shale be able to relate to Dreamtime also...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us