Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rewire and new sounder/plotter

Question rewire and new sounder/plotter

Have saved the coin and bitten the bullet , decide to do a professional rewire and maybe fit a new unit.
    been looking at options currently have a garmin GPSMAP7410 with a TM 260 and a GT51 second unit is a echomap 95sv which needs replacement.

looking at options for the second unit thinking to network a GPSMAP 953 or a GPSMAP 8410 to the current system

or

fitting a seperate Furuno system with a TZ 3 mdf with a view to adding a sat compass to use heave and roll compensation and maybe add the DFF3d and new PBG unit down the track to add the relief shading mapping aspect.

anyone know if Garmin is looking at sat compass compensation for sounders or upgrading quick draw to relief shading ? staying with Garmin system would be nice but the new Furuno options are looking really really good but pricey.

looking at about 10k initially and prepared to add to that in the next year or two.

any thoughts from ausfishers?

BigE

Re: rewire and new sounder/plotter

Garmin has had the relief shading for quite a while now, your problem will be finding someone with stock of an 8410

Next available delivery of 8400 series for Australia is out to Jan 2022

Transducers are an issue as well
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

Garmin released the MSC10 sat compass a few months ago,Which.. currently operates as a very very very good heading sensor slash position. with obviously scope for future heave compensation "id say the next software update will include this"

Happy to throw some ideas at you if you like

Moose

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    Have saved the coin and bitten the bullet , decide to do a professional rewire and maybe fit a new unit.
    been looking at options currently have a garmin GPSMAP7410 with a TM 260 and a GT51 second unit is a echomap 95sv which needs replacement.

looking at options for the second unit thinking to network a GPSMAP 953 or a GPSMAP 8410 to the current system

or

fitting a seperate Furuno system with a TZ 3 mdf with a view to adding a sat compass to use heave and roll compensation and maybe add the DFF3d and new PBG unit down the track to add the relief shading mapping aspect.

anyone know if Garmin is looking at sat compass compensation for sounders or upgrading quick draw to relief shading ? staying with Garmin system would be nice but the new Furuno options are looking really really good but pricey.

looking at about 10k initially and prepared to add to that in the next year or two.

any thoughts from ausfishers?

BigE

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Hi Garry
    yeah i have the new relief shading maps on the 7410 ( what a bastard of a download) I was more looking at the new Furuno PBG unit which generates relief shading type maps of your own spots ... similar to Quick Draw but in 3d relief shading.

Hi moose
    I'm all ears to any sugestions ( yours are probably more experience /knowledgable with industry experience) I cant decide between a system that intergrates with the current 7410 (which will be staying) or adding a secondary system with different capability.
    I really dislike the speed with which systems become obsolete/not supported nowdays and would look at more $$ to hedge against that ( not that that is any Guarantee of future proofing ) i'm sure there is some unhappy furuno TZ owners out there.

BigE

No such thing as future proofing with modern marine electronics. It was hard enough to stay ahead of the curve as a dealer - an absolute balancing act trying to hold stock without getting caught with old models that devalued overnight.

Yeah .... tuff at the retail end of the chain.
    Don't envy anyone in business ATM

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No such thing as future proofing with modern marine electronics. It was hard enough to stay ahead of the curve as a dealer - an absolute balancing act trying to hold stock without getting caught with old models that devalued overnight.
    I notice places like BCF run out of models months ahead of new releases. It's like as soon as they get wind of a new model they stop stocking those models.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    I notice places like BCF run out of models months ahead of new releases. It's like as soon as they get wind of a new model they stop stocking those models.
    Noticed that, support and updates usually stop not long after the sales as well.

So been a while since I started this thread so I thought a quick update was in order.
    The rewire was not complicated but took me a couple of weeks on and off and I changed my mind countless times.
    Ended up with two new screens and two more transducers and two fuse panels and a new Battery switch with a blue seas add a battery system, new batteries and blue seas battery fuses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BigE; 30-12-2021 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add pics

New Blue Seas add a Battery switch which isolates on cranking and connents the batteries when the start battery reached 13.4 volts

New Screens Gpsmap 7410 Gpsmap 1222 & Furuno 588

Some new transducers on the pod.

pppppppppppppppppppp

Still working on the settings. Side view is prop trail in a mud bank at about 30m