Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I dont know what to do.

I dont know what to do.

I have a Evo2 NSS9 with the Totalscan transducer.

I want another screen because I am sick of changing to split screens and back again. The Evo 3 range is out of my budget.
    Im thinking of installing a sounder or second unit so while underway I have the screen showing full screen chart and another displaying sounder.
    Im thinking of a stand alone sounder instead of a second simrad unit. The Evo3 is out of my range.

I like the totalscan for shallow water but it seems lacking in water over 40 mts. In CQ I havent found depths over 50 mts yet.

What do you suggest? Simrad have the GO9 series with the 3 in 1 but I think it will struggle at the greater depths...will it?

There as so many units on the market. I dont know what to do.

Suggest away

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: I dont know what to do.

I know what you mean about split screens. If I have to go back to one now, I'm ready to scream. People don't realise what a PITA, they are until they go to two separate units. How about the Simrad S2009? They are a fishfinder, vertical aspect, which will network with your other Simrad stuff. I'm not a Simrad person myself, But I did look into it when I was deciding on the new boat fitout a few years ago, and they looked like a good thing. perhaps others with Simrad knowledge would care to comment.

Furuno 588 or the Simrad S2009 if you want to network the unit.

I would love the simrad but from what I can see the unit is about $1700 or so and then the transducer cost is on top and they cost a fortune.

Ausfish Platinum Member

S2009 go around +/- $1300 pretty well anywhere. and don't you have a transducer already?

My take on it. The Simrad is a cheaper display but to get the best from it you do need to spend more on the transducer to get the performance achievable with the Furuno on something cheaper like a p66. Another option is the FCV 628 provided you can deal with the reduction in screen size and don't intend on fishing much deeper than 200 metres.

doing a bit of the same exercise myself except with garmin/furuno units.
    never really played with Sim Rads
    BigE

Its a tough game to play..always thinking what if...lol

Well, I have settled on a Furuno FCV 688. I was able to negotiate a good price and fortunately the redundant and not working Furuno soulder that was installed in toe boat when I bought it was coupled to a transducer that is mainstream for the 588 so I dont have to bother with that cost or installation problem.
    The nesxt challenge is to connect the Furuno to the Simrad Evo 2. I have a wiring schematic but have no idea who might be able to make a connecting adaptor.

Ausfish Platinum Member

The Furuno will not network with the Simrad. In fact, those old-style Furunos won't network with anything, purely a standalone unit. You don't have modern functionality like being able to touch something on the sounder screen to place a waypoint, which is extremely handy if a feature has gone past on the screen as your back was turned at that time. A "module" apparently is available to do this, but it is more cost and an add-on, not really integrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Brettoh View Post
    Well, I have settled on a Furuno FCV 688. I was able to negotiate a good price and fortunately the redundant and not working Furuno soulder that was installed in toe boat when I bought it was coupled to a transducer that is mainstream for the 588 so I dont have to bother with that cost or installation problem.
    The nesxt challenge is to connect the Furuno to the Simrad Evo 2. I have a wiring schematic but have no idea who might be able to make a connecting adaptor.
    Without something like a markfish, the only thing to connect is the NMEA0183 output wires to the Furuno's input wires. The NSS used a lead that had NMEA0183 and Video outputs by their install manual - don't know if it came standard with the sets. The Furuno's wires are in the power lead.

Thanks guys.
    Ive weighed it all up and Im happy with the choice of sounder. By all reports they are a fairly robust and do as advertised. Ill still have the ability to use the simrad as a sounder too. If the 2 ub=nits will run at the same time Ill have the ability to mark a place on the simrad even if I only see it on the furuno. I was leaning towards the GO9 as a a second unit but read lots about the lack of a button or knob made operation in lumpy conditions difficult with the touch only controls.
    Anyway. Time will tell.

I appreciate all of the contributions guys. Thanks

Easy enough to mark it on the Furuno and manually transfer if required - just needs the NMEA connection.

Ausfish Platinum Member

You are right about all-touch screens on a boat. Wet fingers and a rocking boat are NOT a good combination. The hybrid systems are easily the best. The functionality of a fully networked system is hard to beat, but nothing wrong with 2 standalone units, it'll get the job done .

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Easy enough to mark it on the Furuno and manually transfer if required - just needs the NMEA connection.
    Yes I have the wiring map to do this. Ill see how I go with the 2 units running individually before going to the effort and expense of a cable. Im still going to keep the simrad operational with the totalscan transducer