Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hervey Bay whale watching ina 4.5m runabout

Hervey Bay whale watching ina 4.5m runabout

Hi All, I'm heading to Hervey Bay for the first time and taking a 4.49m stacer runabout. I would like to do some whale watching if the weather is good.

Appreciate any advice on whether this is possible. Are the whales too far out? Do the big boats mind? Etc etc.

Cheets

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk

Re: Hervey Bay whale watching ina 4.5m runabout

Quote Originally Posted by viper3 View Post
    Hi All, I'm heading to Hervey Bay for the first time and taking a 4.49m stacer runabout. I would like to do some whale watching if the weather is good.

Appreciate any advice on whether this is possible. Are the whales too far out? Do the big boats mind? Etc etc.

Cheets

I have come across them in platypus bay on the northern side of Frazer a number of times over the years ,as long as you conform to the rules as far as how close you can get and speed you shouldn’t have a problem . I have had them come right up to my 4.5 mt tinnie and eyeball me ,it’s awesome and scary at the same time . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

The number of whales migrating now is just unbelievable. Happy to see it after how low their numbers got. 10 years ago you would see a few each fishing trip but this year especially I am shocked about how many there are out off Moreton Island at present. I fished Shallow tempest last Saturday morning for a few hours and it was a freeway out there. Maybe its currents or soemthing else sending the majority in closer this year but I have packed in any thought of travelling offshore at night - no way. Just keep on your guard out there and obey the rules and have a plan communicated to everyone just in case.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
    The number of whales migrating now is just unbelievable. Happy to see it after how low their numbers got. 10 years ago you would see a few each fishing trip but this year especially I am shocked about how many there are out off Moreton Island at present. I fished Shallow tempest last Saturday morning for a few hours and it was a freeway out there. Maybe its currents or soemthing else sending the majority in closer this year but I have packed in any thought of travelling offshore at night - no way. Just keep on your guard out there and obey the rules and have a plan communicated to everyone just in case.
    It might be time to start culling a few for “research” purposes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by viper3 View Post

Cheets

I wouldn't worry about the big boats. You have as much right to be out as the big boats. All the same, don't get in their way and don't forget the distance you are able to motor to a whale, if they come over to you, even better, if not a little scary.

Took my wife and son out off fraser in my quintrex dory 4.2m and had a great day of it... you'll be fine.

Ausfish New Member

This looks as good a place as any to ask about boat ramps in the Hervey Bay area - me and the First Mate are planning a week at H Bay in a couple of weeks time, taking along the 5.5m Nova half cabin.

With our 'advanced' age we are on the lookout for a nice easy boat ramp, preferably with pontoons. We would rather drive half an hour to use a 'pensioner friendly' ramp than a slippery steep bugger without pontoons !!!

All suggestions received with thanks.

BP

Quote Originally Posted by boleropilot View Post
    This looks as good a place as any to ask about boat ramps in the Hervey Bay area - me and the First Mate are planning a week at H Bay in a couple of weeks time, taking along the 5.5m Nova half cabin.

With our 'advanced' age we are on the lookout for a nice easy boat ramp, preferably with pontoons. We would rather drive half an hour to use a 'pensioner friendly' ramp than a slippery steep bugger without pontoons !!!

All suggestions received with thanks.

BP
    The ramps and pontoons at the boat ramp down the Urangan end are great 6 lanes now and two massive safe pontoons and extremely large car park , it’s all good as it’s in a harbour . Matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish New Member

hey thanks bluey - we might end up at tin can bay...

Ausfish New Member

We're gonna be at Tin Can Bay - the marina villas there will give you a complimentary berth if you stay with them for 7 nights - works for us oldies.

"Security situation" appears to be a little 'problematic' at Hervey Bay atm - the TCB villas ain't cheap, but a lot cheaper than two armed guards with M15s.....

BP

Please post some pics of your whale encounters..

Only some Minkies have made it this far north so far in FNQ...

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks we will start to see a few of the big fella's cruising by and have some decent weather to get out and chase a Mackeral or 2 as well......

Here you go disorderly her'es my whale experience off the southen end of Bribie island many years ago mother andAttachment 125746Attachment 125747Attachment 125748Attachment 125750Attachment 125751Attachment 125752 calf saw them in the morning and came across them in the afternoon coming home the calf swam right past my boat i pulled it out of gear grabbed my camera and kept snapping as it swam past best experience ever and Ive seen a few whale up the coast and out the swains but never like this.Attachment 125745Attachment 125749Attachment 125745Attachment 125750

Chris, I cant see them.!..

Yer got to sort it out ,in edit mode I see them all I hit save and they go.

Attachment 125766Attachment 125767Attachment 125768Attachment 125769Attachment 125770Attachment 125771Attachment 125772Attachment 125773
    Attached Images Attached Images