Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salt Away , Salty Captain etc

Salt Away , Salty Captain etc

What's everyone's opinion on these detergents that dissipate salt (apparently)

Do they actually work ?

What's the best one ?

Interested to hear peoples experiences - do you use it after each trip ?

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Salt Away , Salty Captain etc

They mostly work, but only if used every time, there's not much use trying to dissolve 10 years of built up crap. Warm fresh water will dissolve salt as good as anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    They mostly work, but only if used every time, there's not much use trying to dissolve 10 years of built up crap. Warm fresh water will dissolve salt as good as anything.
    Mostly work ?
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yes, if used all the time, some say it's good to use to wash the boat because it stops water marks when it dries, but I have never actually done that, in my opinion, a decent long flush with clean fresh water is plenty, maybe if the boat is used in dams with all sorts of minerals, then maybe it might be worth it.

Yeah they work well when used regularly on paintwork..

The missus gives the boat the "taste test" after she has washed and dried it...lol.

and she used to just use car wash detergent but with the saltaway she swears no salt residue is left..

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Yes, if used all the time, some say it's good to use to wash the boat because it stops water marks when it dries, but I have never actually done that, in my opinion, a decent long flush with clean fresh water is plenty, maybe if the boat is used in dams with all sorts of minerals, then maybe it might be worth it.
    Hi Noel

Do you think it's value for money ...... these things aren't cheap .

I've used the Salt Away & you only get around 4 washes out of a liter container ...... so around $11/wash .
    To be honest ....After a couple of 1lt bottles - I wasn't in a rush to buy more of the stuff.

Are there better options to Salt Away ?

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I’ve always used it never had a issue with overheating but who knows as never pulled any apart to look at buildup
    didn’t notice anything on thermotstats or when replacing engine annodes

I do notice how much cleaner the boat is after fishing in saltwater.
    with tap water was always something left behind but when using Saltaway it’s all gone

Quote Originally Posted by disorderly View Post
    Yeah they work well when used regularly on paintwork..

The missus gives the boat the "taste test" after she has washed and dried it...lol.

and she used to just use car wash detergent but with the saltaway she swears no salt residue is left..
    That's interesting - I was using it on an unpainted hull ...... I basically had to do the boat twice with the Salt Away .

glad to see that I'm not the only one who did the salt test

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nagg I have just started using it on my 30 hp outboard which is secondhand and the previous owner used it all the time for flushing and gave me the kit and about three Liters with the boat. I didn't use it for about 12 months and started using it about 6 months ago only cause I had it and thought I should give it ago. The first time I used it seemed to remove quite a bit of crap and could see it flushing out the exhaust. I resonantly removed the thermostat as the engine was getting a little warmer then I liked and replaced and the cooling passages were pretty clean for a 2012 outboard.

When I run out I will probably get some more as It must be doing something to help. I thought about using it on the inboard diesel once I get in the water and asked the dealer about using it and they said don't as they have found it breaks down the rubber cooling hoses from their experience over time and starts to clog up the heat exchanges so they don't recommend using it on the inboard. Said they only have seen this on engines where owners use some type of chemical additive for flushing. Said to just keep it old school and flush with fresh water and do the recommended chemical cleaning of the exchanges when required, which are removed from the engine to do.

So will use it on the outboard as it seems too work and not the inboard. I know there are other products that do the same as salt away that are a little cheaper but we are only talking a few dollars.

Like I said was pretty impressed how clean the inside was on the outboard.

Ausfish Platinum Member

I held off using it for years with all the above arguments. Tried using the vinegar/water/dishwashing liquid . Then I finally gave in and bought the Saltaway. First use was after an extended trip involving lots of dust and salt build-up for which there had been no fresh water spare to wash it away. I used the Saltaway diluted as a detergent with a soft brush --brilliant. It hasn't looked that good since it was new. Which leads me to an important aspect--the dilution rate. Use it too strong, and just hose on, it will leave big scummy streaks as if you had applied strong detergent and left it there. Used at the correct rate, it is actually quite economical. I bought a four litre container a year ago, and still have well over half left. I use it every washdown, and I use it under the back of my ute when the tide dictates I have to get it wet when launching.
    So how to get the correct rate. A consistent rate is very difficult. See this, from the Saltaway site http://www.saltawayproducts.com/Dilu...ios%20Page.htm

They say that the genuine applicator auto-dilutes @ 520/1 , but try getting one. All the ones I see for sale now are just the Sabco detergent dispenser, as below, re-branded, and they just keep diluting the mix in the bottle until there is none left. As a visual check, Saltaway say that as long as you can see some blue tinge, its ok. So I just add some to the little bottle, use until it is getting very light blue, top it up with a dash. A complete washdown means topping it up once. With a light dilution, no salt residue, and no need to wash off.

So yes, after using it for a while, I am a believer. And it is also really good with hard water.

I have a original applicator and only use about 100ml to flush engine and wet the boat down

run engine on plain water till warm
    turn on saltaway for a min till starts to dilute in canister
    turn the engine and applicator off

I then show down the boat and trailer with what’s left in the applicator and give a sponge and a last hose off

Ausfish Silver Member Ducksnutz's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I use Saltoff Chris,

only reason I use this brand is they’re a Queensland family owned and operated business since 2003. Do I think it helps? Buggered if I know but it’s a small investment in the grand scheme of boat ownership so why not.

https://saltoff.com.au/
    Matilda

Nagg...I have used the salt away since getting a new motor about 7 years ago ...with the brand dispenser.....and its "quite" economical.....The brand dispenser allows you to flush with water and finish with 30 secs or so of diluted saltaway...and turn off leaving the salt away in the engine.Theres plenty of spare product to finish off wash down of boat trailer and fishing gear.....no residual salt streaks ..Certainly get a lot more than a few washes...thinks like salted windscreens clear up well.

I kinda recall reading its a mix of a weak acid to neutralise salt and detergent...sometimes think the foam you see is just a marketing whizz to make you think its working....
    Theres a good question...but it does hve some benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Noel

Do you think it's value for money ...... these things aren't cheap .

I've used the Salt Away & you only get around 4 washes out of a liter container ...... so around $11/wash .
    To be honest ....After a couple of 1lt bottles - I wasn't in a rush to buy more of the stuff.

Are there better options to Salt Away ?

Chris
    I have been pulling outboards apart since the late 70s and still do odds and ends for friends now, some just flush with water when unloading the boat, some use all sorts of proprietary chemicals, and in most cases, water pumps and thermostats all look the same, perhaps the chemicals "might" be slightly nicer, but it's not a standout (in my opinion) but, I don't see any boats used in dams and so on, just clean ocean water and maybe some bigger lakes (tidal salt water) I reckon anything has got to be better than nothing, but a good flush, not just half a minute, seems to work.

I use about 100ml of Salty Captain engine flush each time I come home and about 100ml of Salty Captain Boat wash after each run.....it is painless and works well..
    I don't like the applicator for the Salty Captain Boat wash though......I will be replacing it shortly with something more robust and less cumbersome.
    Jack.