Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The great esky debate

Re: The great esky debate

Good job. You just about have it covered. You may find the temperature stays colder even longer when the esky is loaded, less air space inside. Would lining the esky with foil do anything. I dont know, just thinking aloud.

I found that there was a short ice discussion on Ausfish in 2006. Here is the link if you are interested

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc...p/t-80411.html

Good luck and enjoy the trip

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

Quote Originally Posted by shakey55 View Post
    Good job. You just about have it covered. You may find the temperature stays colder even longer when the esky is loaded, less air space inside. Would lining the esky with foil do anything. I dont know, just thinking aloud.

I found that there was a short ice discussion on Ausfish in 2006. Here is the link if you are interested

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/arc...p/t-80411.html

Good luck and enjoy the trip

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums
    Yeh , I'll be pre chilling the esky & filling it with cold food for the trip .

I think I wont go to the length of using foil ...... & I certainly wont be burying the esky

The bulk frozen water packs (2 x 10lts ) are doing well & shortly I'll check the temp (7 days) then report back.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Day 7 & still going @ 3.6 deg C

Day 7 (2).jpg
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Better drink that beer, perfect temp for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Better drink that beer, perfect temp for it.
    too warm ....
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Day 7 & still going @ 3.6 deg C

Day 7 (2).jpg
    Pulled the pin this morning @ 5.4 deg C ...... 8 full days. There is still quite a bit of ice in the two containers which will probably last another couple of days .

From what I've read 4.4 deg is the tipping point for keeping bacteria growth down.

Anyhow - so f you want to keep your eskys cold for a week without having slushy water ...... it's worth going down the path of freezing bulk containers like these Ice.jpg Clearly the lower surface area is a big advantage in keeping the ice from melting ( compared to ice cubes or multiple bottles of frozen water.

There is the added advantage of these being easily accessed drinking water should the need arise (unlike ice cubes).

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well the new esky arrived today . I've gone with the biggest esky I could fit in front of the console

158 lt Engel which pretty well fits like a glove

Engel 158lt.jpgEngel 158lt 2.jpg

Aside from good storage for fish , its excellent dry storage

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

The energy required for water to change phase from solid to liquid (with temperature remaining static at 0C) is 334 J/g, while the energy required to change temperature of solid ice by 1 degree is just 2.108 J/g.

Thus melting -20 ice takes (2.108x20) + 334 = 376 J
    Melting -10 ice takes (2.108x10) + 334 = 355 J

The -20C ice is only 6% more efficient than the -10C ice, because it's the phase change that requires the most energy.

By all means get your ice as cold as you can, but there's minimal benefit to colder ice temps. You'll get a much greater benefit from precooling before adding your ice.

Salt water ice can chill the esky to a slightly lower temperature but overall fresh water will keep esky temps below 4.4C for longer. Also fresh water can be important for survival if something goes awry, so a no-brainer IMO.