Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Radio/Aerial replacement

Radio/Aerial replacement

I’ve searched and found a few old comments.

I don’t need this to turn into a never ending saga. My current vhf radio is 20 odd years old and starting to play up a little and has an 8 foot fibreglass aerial attached (also to be replaced)

Without breaking the bank, what is a good radio / aerial combination available today

I fish off shore and at times several kms

Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

Even though they tend to be the "budget range" I have had good luck with GME radios, never had one fail ever, others won't touch them. Buy the best, biggest antenna you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Even though they tend to be the "budget range" I have had good luck with GME radios, never had one fail ever, others won't touch them. Buy the best, biggest antenna you can.
    To add to what Noelm has said, I used a splitter cable with a GME AM/FM radio to my VHF so that the same antenna could be used for VHF and to listen to the cricket while I'm trolling around in the summer months.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Gme's tend to be fine if you can get them where they stay dry. Icom would be arguably regarded as the pick of the brand's. Make sure whatever you get has microphones available as a spare part. Not all brands do and writing off a radio simply due to a mic or curly cord fault IMO is a bit of a joke. Antennas - there are high performance antennas available if you are wanting longer distance comes. Glomex do one in a 8' package. I think there is a Shakespeare one too. ZCG Scalar do a pretty good antenna too.

Thanks gents, just what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

I was asked to remind you to consider DSC, not all units have it, so be sure when you are shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I was asked to remind you to consider DSC, not all units have it, so be sure when you are shopping.
    Thanks Noel. I’ve heard if it, know nothing about it, so I have to ask, what is it (in a few words)

Thanks

Thanks Noel. I’m up to speed with DSC, just had a good read about it.

Yes a good idea

Just read your post now, well worth it, I don't think it's much extra, just make sure it's available on the one you buy. I was reminded by an "internet friend" from another site that was browsing here.

Thus far I’m looking at this combination. Just haven’t made a final decision and made the purchase

https://www.whitworths.com.au/icom-i...h-gps-receiver

https://www.whitworths.com.au/shakes...h-gain-antenna

I am not an expert but I do not know if that antenna comes with a "deck mount".

Sent from my SM-T820 using Ausfish mobile app
    Transire vinus forticulus

Quote Originally Posted by tjotter View Post
    I am not an expert but I do not know if that antenna comes with a "deck mount".

Sent from my SM-T820 using Ausfish mobile app
    Thanks tjotter, I’ll make sure I get the right one.

I’ll be replacing an old base similar to this

Image1629399058.030775.jpg

If the mount is ok you can probably use it. Most use the same thread.

Still considering the radio. Have decided to get one with DSC function.

My question about these to those that know, is

Do I need to connect radio to GPS. My current finder is a Garmin 75sv, which I’m pretty sure can’t be connected to NMEA 2000, but I’m not really sure.

Can anyone advise or steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Yes in short. Some sets have it built in now and a lot still use the nmea0183 protocol so it's just a case of researching what is required before purchase. You will also have to have a operators certificate of proficiency to apply for a mmsi to AMSA. They will not issue one without it.