Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Radio/Aerial replacement

  1. #1

    Radio/Aerial replacement

    Iíve searched and found a few old comments.

    I donít need this to turn into a never ending saga. My current vhf radio is 20 odd years old and starting to play up a little and has an 8 foot fibreglass aerial attached (also to be replaced)

    Without breaking the bank, what is a good radio / aerial combination available today

    I fish off shore and at times several kms




    Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

  2. #2

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Even though they tend to be the "budget range" I have had good luck with GME radios, never had one fail ever, others won't touch them. Buy the best, biggest antenna you can.

  3. #3

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Even though they tend to be the "budget range" I have had good luck with GME radios, never had one fail ever, others won't touch them. Buy the best, biggest antenna you can.
    To add to what Noelm has said, I used a splitter cable with a GME AM/FM radio to my VHF so that the same antenna could be used for VHF and to listen to the cricket while I'm trolling around in the summer months.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  4. #4

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Gme's tend to be fine if you can get them where they stay dry. Icom would be arguably regarded as the pick of the brand's. Make sure whatever you get has microphones available as a spare part. Not all brands do and writing off a radio simply due to a mic or curly cord fault IMO is a bit of a joke. Antennas - there are high performance antennas available if you are wanting longer distance comes. Glomex do one in a 8' package. I think there is a Shakespeare one too. ZCG Scalar do a pretty good antenna too.

  5. #5

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Thanks gents, just what I was looking for.


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

  6. #6

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    I was asked to remind you to consider DSC, not all units have it, so be sure when you are shopping.

  7. #7

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    I was asked to remind you to consider DSC, not all units have it, so be sure when you are shopping.
    Thanks Noel. Iíve heard if it, know nothing about it, so I have to ask, what is it (in a few words)

    Thanks


    Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

  8. #8

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Thanks Noel. Iím up to speed with DSC, just had a good read about it.

    Yes a good idea


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

  9. #9

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Just read your post now, well worth it, I don't think it's much extra, just make sure it's available on the one you buy. I was reminded by an "internet friend" from another site that was browsing here.

  10. #10

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Thus far Iím looking at this combination. Just havenít made a final decision and made the purchase

    https://www.whitworths.com.au/icom-i...h-gps-receiver

    https://www.whitworths.com.au/shakes...h-gain-antenna


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

  11. #11

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    I am not an expert but I do not know if that antenna comes with a "deck mount".

    Sent from my SM-T820 using Ausfish mobile app
    Transire vinus forticulus

  12. #12

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Quote Originally Posted by tjotter View Post
    I am not an expert but I do not know if that antenna comes with a "deck mount".

    Sent from my SM-T820 using Ausfish mobile app
    Thanks tjotter, Iíll make sure I get the right one.

    Iíll be replacing an old base similar to this

    Image1629399058.030775.jpg


    Shakey - If only I lived near the coast

  13. #13

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    If the mount is ok you can probably use it. Most use the same thread.

  14. #14

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Still considering the radio. Have decided to get one with DSC function.

    My question about these to those that know, is

    Do I need to connect radio to GPS. My current finder is a Garmin 75sv, which Iím pretty sure canít be connected to NMEA 2000, but Iím not really sure.

    Can anyone advise or steer me in the right direction.

    Thanks


    Sent from my iPad using Ausfish forums

  15. #15

    Re: Radio/Aerial replacement

    Yes in short. Some sets have it built in now and a lot still use the nmea0183 protocol so it's just a case of researching what is required before purchase. You will also have to have a operators certificate of proficiency to apply for a mmsi to AMSA. They will not issue one without it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us